Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

zlq9n6.jpg

In the 1920s, examining photographic plates from the Mt. Wilson Observatory's 100 inch telescope, Edwin Hubble determined the distance to the Andromeda Nebula, decisively demonstrating the existence of other galaxies far beyond the Milky Way.
    His notations are evident on the historic plate image inset at the lower right, shown in context with ground based and Hubble Space Telescope images of the region made nearly 90 years later.
    By intercomparing different plates, Hubble searched for novae, stars which underwent a sudden increase in brightness. He found several on this plate and marked them with an "N". Later, discovering that the one near the upper right corner (marked by lines) was actually a type of variable star known as a cepheid, he crossed out the "N" and wrote "VAR!".
    Thanks to the work of Harvard astronomer Henrietta Leavitt, cepheids, regularly varying pulsating stars, could be used as standard candle distance indicators. Identifying such a star allowed Hubble to show that Andromeda was not a small cluster of stars and gas within our own galaxy, but a large galaxy in its own right at a substantial distance from the Milky Way.

Hubble's discovery is responsible for establishing our modern concept of a Universe filled with galaxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

767px-Bison_skull_pile_edit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I have only came across this thread recently, and I have to agree with others that it is one of the greatest threads ever made on boards. I'm only 16 but I am absolutely moved by some the pictures, though I wasn't even born around the time most of them were taken.

• Mousey- wrote: »
    correct
    all caght on camera!
    the issue your refering to occurs at 1:58

I know that was sheer luck and chance, but that is some shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

youngblood wrote: »

Enjoyed looking at this - many i hadn't seen before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jack_Burton

Found this thread today and had to sign up, amazing stuff. A few I feel have been missed.

joker2.jpg

Iconic.

nixon-resignation-1974.jpg

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal

zidane2_narrowweb__300x434,2.jpg

I noticed someone posted the headbutt earlier but this was the image that always stood out to me, a sad end to a great journey.

2-year-old-smoking-cigarette.jpg

I remember this kicking up a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

This thread just got a mention on Newstalk's Moncrieff show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Some photos from Time Magazine showing life around the globe in 2010.

poy1220_15.jpg
    A Dinka boy burns cow patties for protection from insects. The region is bracing for a referendum vote in January 2011 that would create an independent Southern Sudan.

poy1220_17.jpg
    A burned house, riddled with bullet holes, remains untouched almost two years after a deadly firefight between Mexican soldiers and members of the La Familia drug cartel who were occupying the house

poy1220_18.jpg
    Florencio Avalos, one of the 33 miners trapped in a copper and gold mine in Copiapó, Chile, peers into a video camera that was dropped down a borehole into the chamber where the men sought safety after the cave-in.

poy1220_28.jpg
    Displaced objects outside foreclosed homes in Orlando

pictures_of_the_year_13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

space-shuttle-atlantis-launch-1-1024x768.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

557847main_iss027e036638_1600_1600-1200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The Hubble Rescue will undoubtedly be seen as one of Shuttles greater achievements. This image of the orbiter Atlantis. is one that will forever be in my memory.

• Rubik. wrote: »
    This thread just got a mention on Newstalk's Moncrieff show.

Delighted! It thoroughly deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

This one has never been covered on here (I don't think so anyway). I knew nothing about it till a few months ago until I saw it on Reeling in the Years. I will put up links etc about it. An incredible event and a lesson on how NOT to deal with terrorist situations.

The events surrounding this are confusing, so I am not going to attempt to give a synopsis of it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre

The Munich massacre is an informal name for events that occurred during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, Bavaria in southern West Germany, when members of the Israeli Olympic team were taken hostage and eventually killed by the Palestinian terrorist group Black September. Members of Black September contended that Yasir Arafat’s Fatah organization secretly endorsed the operation.[citation needed] Fatah, however, disputed this. Black September called the operation "Ikrit and Biram",[8] after two Christian Palestinian villages whose inhabitants were killed or expelled by the Haganah in 1948.
    By the end of the ordeal, the terrorists had killed eleven Israeli athletes and coaches and a West German police officer. Five of the eight members of Black September were killed by police officers during a failed rescue attempt. The three surviving terrorists were captured, but later released by West Germany following the hijacking by Black September of a Lufthansa airliner. Israel responded to the killings with Operation Spring of Youth and Operation Wrath of God, as well as a series of airstrikes and killings of those suspected of planning the kidnappings

250px-Ap_munich905_t.jpg
    Image of terrorist looking over the balcony of the Israeli team quarters at Building 31 of the Munich Olympic village. This is the most widely recognizable and iconic photo of the event.

1152_12942790043-tpfil02aw-16456.jpg

Eadline-096-125-4_9_944403j.jpg

munich.jpg
    Ankie Spitzer, widow of the Israeli fencing coach, Andre Spitzer, who was slain by Arab terrorists on Sept. 5, 1972, surveys the room where the incident occurred at Munich, Germany's Olympic Village on Sept. 8, 1972. The chalk circles on the wall were made by West German police to trace the impact of the bullets.

Religious hate is truly heinous.... This Time headline sums it up very well.

olympic_tragedy.jpg

The worst thing about the whole lot - this
    On 29 October, hijackers of a West German Lufthansa passenger jet demanded the release of the three surviving terrorists, who had been arrested after the Fürstenfeldbruck gunfight and were being held for trial. Safady and the Al-Gasheys were immediately released by West Germany, receiving a tumultuous welcome when they touched down in Libya and giving their own firsthand account of their operation at a press conference broadcast worldwide. In both ESPN/ABC's documentary The Tragedy of the Munich Games and in Kevin Macdonald's Academy Award–winning documentary One Day in September, it was claimed that the entire Lufthansa hijacking episode was a sham, concocted by the West Germans and Black September so that the West Germans could be rid of the three Munich perpetrators.

• The movie Munich was based loosely around those events, IIRC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Well, I've finally got through it all.

Have to say it's the best, yet most depressing thread, on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

casey-anthony-not-guilty-of-first-degree-murder-29751-1309890373-35.jpg

Casey Anthony found not guilty of murdering her daughter Caylee. A lot of people were shook by the verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Father & Son at first and last shuttle launch
    spaceshuttledadson.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Burner- wrote: »
    Father & Son at first and last shuttle launch

Damn gaming sites are blocked at work. must have a look at that one later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

gatecrash wrote: »
    Damn gaming sites are blocked at work. must have a look at that one later on.

Here's the original on Flickr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Thanks Donny, that's actually a really cool picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Red dots represent Flickr pictures while the blue dots are tweets. The white dots are locations that have been posted to both.

As expected if you look at Australia, the activity is on the coast while the centre of Australia is not so busy
    article-2014424-0D014AFC00000578-202_964x594.jpg

Note the higher activity in the East which you'd expect with the large centres like Dublin, Dundalk and Belfast
    article-2014424-0D01499700000578-860_964x691.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

^^^^

Is it wrong to think that this is the most beautiful picture of Europe ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mikemac wrote: »
    Red dots represent Flickr pictures while the blue dots are tweets. The white dots are locations that have been posted to both.

As expected if you look at Australia, the activity is on the coast while the centre of Australia is not so busy. Note the higher activity in the East which you'd expect with the large centres like Dublin, Dundalk and Belfast

Where did you get this from? I'm 99% sure I've seen these images before billed as amalgamated night satellite pictures showing the amount of street lighting in various countries? Obviously similar rules would apply, i.e. the more densley populated areas have more light.

If it was for twitter / flickr why would it need to be in the dark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Calling me a fraud? :eek:
    Why I oughta! :)

Got it from the main article on the Daily Mail, science section
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2014424/Twitter-Flickr-Infographic-shows-social-networking-break-district.html

The reason they are dark is to highlight colours

Here in New York. As expected Manhattan has the highest activity while outlying areas use flickr

There are busy clusters for twitter and both, I don't know NY but someone might recognize these are huge urban areas
    Jersey City in the West maybe?

article-2014424-0D0143E000000578-29_964x960.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2014424/Twitter-Flickr-Infographic-shows-social-networking-break-district.html

Here in New York. As expected Manhattan has the highest activity while outlying areas use flickr

There are busy clusters for twitter and both, I don't know NY but someone might recognize these are huge urban areas

I'm not doubting you personally - when I clicked on to the thread I looked at the image before reading the text and thought, 'I've seen this before'. I don't see the need to use what looks like a satellite images to highlight twitter and flickr images when an ordinary map would do fine.;)

EDIT: Earth's City Lights - pretty damn close you would have to say although that would make sense due to densley populated areas.
    earth_lights_lrg.jpg
    article-2014424-0D014AFC00000578-202_964x594.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I'm not doubting you personally - when I clicked on to the thread I looked at the image before reading the text and thought, 'I've seen this before'. I don't see the need to use what looks like a satellite images to highlight twitter and flickr images when an ordinary map would do fine.;)

Here's an article with an interactive map and a link to the author's Flickr. I think the coloured-dots-on-blank-black-background look is just an aesthetic choice. The images are definitely not satellite composites.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

To the west of Manhattan there, that's Hoboken, NJ I think. You can see the bottom of Manhattan is very concentrated - midtown, East Village, Tribeca, Financial District, Lower East Side. Lots of young people, arty neighbourhoods, and areas of top business. I guess these are the people using services like Twitter and Flickr.

The lights get less as you go up the Upper East Side. Kind of surprising, very affluent areas. Maybe they're an older generation. As you go further up, it's Harlem, El Barrio and The Bronx, typically less better off areas, ie less access to technology?

East of Manhattan there is Brooklyn. The west of Brooklyn has lots of yuppies and hipsters, perhaps explaining why these areas are much more concentrated than the middle of it. Top of that land part is Queens. I think the part with the most lights is Sunnyside/Woodside/Astoria. Quick commute to Manhattan from there, possibly lots of city workers living there with cheaper rent. Also, lots of Irish people up that way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm guessing all the red dots on the water are people taking photos from tour boats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hogzy wrote: »
    RIP
    winter-olympics-luge-crash.jpg

Can someone explain this pic? I can't believe I never saw this thread before. I am quite speechless to be honest...

Advertisement