Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hardwire USB charger and Dash Cam to Renault Fluence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

That seems over complicated if you ask me. And by the look of it you are using the wrong fuse panel. You should have 2.

I do this regularly and I use bulb plugs that I tap into to hard wire cameras.
    For USB charger you can probaly use the cigarette lighter or even from the back or the stereo.
    You can look up your stereo wiring easily online.

Here are 2 cameras I did recently

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

I think you are biting off more than you can chew. My advice is to give the install to someone who is familiar with this type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks for the replies guys
    bmstuff wrote: »
    That seems over complicated if you ask me. And by the look of it you are using the wrong fuse panel. You should have 2.

Just the one fusebox in the pax compartment according to my manual, the rest are in the engine bay.

9kmsh.png
    bmstuff wrote: »
    I do this regularly and I use bulb plugs that I tap into to hard wire cameras.
    For USB charger you can probaly use the cigarette lighter or even from the back or the stereo.
    You can look up your stereo wiring easily online.

I know there's a few options and weighing it up I'd decided to go for the fusebox option as it would be quickly reversible and seemed less intrusive, no soldering etc. The stereo is an integrated unit incorporating sat nav so I don't want to go near it. I suppose I can hook up to the map lights it might be the simplest and use the cig lighter for the usb charger.
    I think you are biting off more than you can chew. My advice is to give the install to someone who is familiar with this type of work.

Thanks for your advice but I'm happy enough with my abilities to carry this out. Just doing the ground work to ensure I do it correctly. Anything small and within my comfort zone I tend to do myself so I can learn and I leave the big stuff to the experts. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Dingatron wrote: »

Thanks for your advice but I'm happy enough with my abilities to carry this out. Just doing the ground work to ensure I do it correctly. Anything small and within my comfort zone I tend to do myself so I can learn and I leave the big stuff to the experts. ;)

^ THIS! Only way your going to learn

Ground is simple just get an O connector and bolt on to existing earth on the chassis..should be loads around the place

The fuse tap will work, sometimes the empty fuse slots (for extras at factory) are live and could be used here

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomlev

bs"d

Hi,
    I own a Fluence as well, and have been told that doing a hardwire might "screw up" the car's computer...
    Do you think it's true? has anyone experienced any problems with this kind of a hardwire on a Fluence?

Thanks

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

tomlev wrote: »
    bs"d

Hi,
    I own a Fluence as well, and have been told that doing a hardwire might "screw up" the car's computer...
    Do you think it's true? has anyone experienced any problems with this kind of a hardwire on a Fluence?

Thanks

Tom

It really depends where you wire the charger up to.

If you didn't know what you were doing and some how you managed to short any of the CAN lines or some other signals in the vehicle, yes you could potentially cause problems. If you know what your doing there's no real problem.

I'm surprised the fluence doesn't have a USB port in the glove box which you could just use an extender with. Do you have a cigarette lighter that powers down when the ignition is off? this would be one of the first places i'd look to take power from....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maxi R

Don't wire into fuse board because I've seen it cause problems with fluence's and megane's such as brake lights not working and other accessories as well. Take power from cig lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does your model have an electro chromatic rear view mirror?? Even if it doesn't i'd bet they have the wiring up there for one. The EC mirror is nearly always on a switched supply on french cars. There's normally 3 wires going to the EC connector, power / ground / reverse inhibit.

You could tuck the charger in the roof space, save you running a wire up the A pillar.

Advertisement