Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[SC] Keith Barry is now Psychic (sort of)

Options
  • 11-05-2013 11:11pm

The last few months i noticed Keith Barry is really trying to get into the Paranormal world. It started at Halloween when he started doing Ghost shows etc.....

Tonight on RTE he gave a (cold) reading to some woman who he had crying because she believed it was her husband who died 11 years ago. She hugged and thanked him. Whilst he is doing this he does step in and say he has now powers and you are to judge for yourself what is happening.

He used to be outspoken and critical of psychics in the past but is looking to further his own career using the same techniques.

One of his videos exposing psychics ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89M2swlch4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭finlma

He's a complete disgrace to himself. He has come out against so called mediums himself and then goes on the national airwaves and cons 2 women and viewers so he can flog tickets for his show. It's very easy to get information on 2 guests in an RTE audience. He's a joke and no better than hocus pocus fortune tellers working out of caravans. Hang your head in shame Keith Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭carrig2

I have to agree with finlma. I think he is a disgrace. I have personal experience of this and people who are bereaved are vulnerable and fragile and desperate to believe that our loved ones are not lost to us. For him to expose that raw emotion and vulnerability on tv to further his own end is a disgrace. Shame on him and on the people who allow him to do that to up their viewing figures

I'd love if someone could expose him for last night and show him up for being a fraud. If he was given an audience list for the show he could very easily have found out information on those 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭carrig2

finlma wrote: »
    I'd love if someone could expose him for last night and show him up for being a fraud. If he was given an audience list for the show he could very easily have found out information on those 2.

Whether he is exposed or not he is shameful. He ridiculed psychics for years and talked about their exploitation of the very people he now seeks to exploit himself.

He does constantly cover himself by saying he is not psychic, "i am just giving the information that comes to me, i have no powers"

What i dont understand is, he has all these videos up proving how psychics are fake, its only a few clicks away.

Sell out ?

• Advertisement

Sell out ?

Total sell out. Can't sell enough tickets for his gigs or everyone has already seen him so he's resorted to the lowest form of entertainment - talking to imaginary dead people. Hope his career dies as a result - fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is there a link or something for this?

Seems like such a blatant thing to do that I find it hard to believe!

But if it is the case, then he's a total scumbag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm not being bad or anything. But if he suddenly has these powers, could he not get in 'contact' with he's own Grandfather to find out who attacked him leading to he's death?

Dave! wrote: »
    Is there a link or something for this?

Seems like such a blatant thing to do that I find it hard to believe!

But if it is the case, then he's a total scumbag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx0hImmmHKU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Keith Barry was a good magician and entertainer concentrating on providing a good fun show. And yes outspoken against psychics, mediums and religious con artists. It is so sad to see him now joining these con artists. You expect this from some previously unknown upstart who has written a book and/or set up shop offering medium or religious contact (e.g. Joe Coleman) services but not from a wellknown and highly regarded professional entertainer like Keith Barry. In the long run, this will harm his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hes a good entertainer, i have been to his shows and its an enjoyable night.

However, like most acts of this kind he has plants in the audience etc that he uses. I know because one of my friends was asked to do it , and somehow she managed to get picked to come up on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SunMoonStars

Never really enjoyed him, but this is just stupid. He is a total sell-out. I'm now considering going to one of his shows and heckling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Never really enjoyed him, but this is just stupid. He is a total sell-out. I'm now considering going to one of his shows and heckling him.

That would be a pretty shitty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Standman wrote: »
    That would be a pretty shitty thing to do.

No shittier than messing with the minds and emotions of the bereaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

He's a Derren Brown wannabe i'd love to kick him in his smug face!

maximoose wrote: »
    No shittier than messing with the minds and emotions of the bereaved.

Agreed. That's why I wouldn't do either.

Agreed. That's why I wouldn't do either.

I wouldn't waste my money to go to heckle these types as they are not worth it. But what they are doing is wrong and Keith Barry of all people I thought was above this sort of medium/psychic type of thing. He was its greatest critic at one stage.

Why he has switched from his magic to this psychic stuff I don't know. On top of the poor ethics of fooling someone into believing they are talking to a loved one, he is not even convincing in this role.

I wouldn't waste my money to go to heckle these types as they are not worth it. But what they are doing is wrong and Keith Barry of all people I thought was above this sort of medium/psychic type of thing. He was its greatest critic at one stage.

Why he has switched from his magic to this psychic stuff I don't know. On top of the poor ethics of fooling someone into believing they are talking to a loved one, he is not even convincing in this role.

I presume he will have a Derren Brown type disclaimer at some stage stating that everything he does during the show is a trick etc.

Also he can point to his previous videos exposing psychics and say that he was always outspoken about what he thinks of them.

If he does the above then I suppose he can fool himself into believing that there is nothing wrong or hypocritical about what he is doing, which I can only guess is because he is in some kind of serious financial difficulty. What other circumstance could make someone throw their morals out the window so brazenly?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

he was never really thought of as great in magic on any magic forums i read.Certainly not in the top few

he is not convincing in any role

• Advertisement

I presume he will have a Derren Brown type disclaimer at some stage stating that everything he does during the show is a trick etc.

Also he can point to his previous videos exposing psychics and say that he was always outspoken about what he thinks of them.

If he does the above then I suppose he can fool himself into believing that there is nothing wrong or hypocritical about what he is doing, which I can only guess is because he is in some kind of serious financial difficulty. What other circumstance could make someone throw their morals out the window so brazenly?

Clearly this seems to be the case. His magic shows must not have been selling and he turns to this. It is a sure way to get quick cash but a very despicable one.

alyssum wrote: »
    he is not convincing in any role

I think that is basically true as well as your last message stating he was not well regarded in magic circles. He is limited and his orientation revolves around hypnosis which is also a con. It is RTE who create all the hype over people like him while there are far greater magicians and magic entertainers out there who do not get a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

we'll have Keith Barry as long as we have enough stupid gullible people to go to his shows!

I think that is basically true as well as your last message stating he was not well regarded in magic circles. He is limited and his orientation revolves around hypnosis which is also a con. It is RTE who create all the hype over people like him while there are far greater magicians and magic entertainers out there who do not get a break.
    i don't think he is even good at 'straight' non hypnosis magic. No charisma really and not even great at performing the tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

finlma wrote: »
    He's a complete disgrace to himself. He has come out against so called mediums himself and then goes on the national airwaves and cons 2 women and viewers so he can flog tickets for his show. It's very easy to get information on 2 guests in an RTE audience. He's a joke and no better than hocus pocus fortune tellers working out of caravans. Hang your head in shame Keith Barry.

I just saw an ad for his new Mind Hacker show and he is now hanging out with Yuri Geller. I've lost all of the little respect I had for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've seen a few posters around Dublin for that - it sounds terrible. "YOUR BRAIN WILL BE HACKED LIKE A COMPUTER". Great tagline :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Jaysus. :pac:

While I don't agree with him meddling with the vulnerable, often-bereft mental states of people for the purpose of elevating himself to (faux) 'psychic greatness', or whatever, I do think he's doing something thought-provoking. I mean, he's doing stuff that's making the average person on the street think about so-called 'unexplainable matters'.
    I consider that constructive, and dare I say that I find all this mildly entertaining (certainly watchable anyway). It's like 'Fair City' - I know it's fairly sh!te, yet I find it hard to look away sometimes. :)

I guess he's taking a chance with all this stuff to push himself up into the 'edgier' (but still magicianship-only) ranks
    inhabited by the likes of, say, David Blaine.
    BTW, did anyone see this recently (Unreal! Class)?:

I've seen Keith Barry live before, at one of his 'Asylum' shows back in January 2010 and, in fairness, he does what he does very well, is very smart (smarter than the majority of people I've ever seen set foot on a stage, in any capacity), entertaining and knows how to hold an audience rapt. It was a great, pretty memorable night.

I'll be watching more of this new 'I'm psychic'-type lark with interest, one way or another, though I wasn't too enthused to hear he's rubbing shoulders with Uri Geller :rolleyes: :) these days. Ah sure, bound to be even more entertaining then!

Oh, and just to add that, personally, I do believe in the power of the mind over matter to a certain, reasonable extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭BenRowe

Jaysus. :pac:

While I don't agree with him meddling with the vulnerable, often-bereft mental states of people for the purpose of elevating himself to (faux) 'psychic greatness', or whatever, I do think he's doing something thought-provoking. I mean, he's doing stuff that's making the average person on the street think about so-called 'unexplainable matters'.
    I consider that constructive, and dare I say that I find all this mildly entertaining (certainly watchable anyway). It's like 'Fair City' - I know it's fairly sh!te, yet I find it hard to look away sometimes. :)

I guess he's taking a chance with all this stuff to push himself up into the 'edgier' (but still magicianship-only) ranks
    inhabited by the likes of, say, David Blaine.
    BTW, did anyone see this recently (Unreal! Class)?:

I've seen Keith Barry live before, at one of his 'Asylum' shows back in January 2010 and, in fairness, he does what he does very well, is very smart (smarter than the majority of people I've ever seen set foot on a stage, in any capacity), entertaining and knows how to hold an audience rapt. It was a great, pretty memorable night.

I'll be watching more of this new 'I'm psychic'-type lark with interest, one way or another, though I wasn't too enthused to hear he's rubbing shoulders with Uri Geller :rolleyes: :) these days. Ah sure, bound to be even more entertaining then!

Oh, and just to add that, personally, I do believe in the power of the mind over matter to a certain, reasonable extent.
    they make a good pair of empty boasters

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain Red

Hear when he said the Book of Kells would be stolen and a week later it was? Havent heard anything about it since, could he have had something to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think it's gas that he so blatantly tries to copy everything Derren Brown does. Only what Derren Brown does expertly, he stumbles through ham-fistedly.

Advertisement