Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

hiram wrote: »
    bnt wrote: »
    I've been living in Ireland for nearly 13 years now, and only heard "culchie" a couple of years ago. My first guess was that it was short for "cultured" i.e. making fun of Dubliners, but then I learned it means the opposite. ("Unculchie", anyone?)

It's hardly a uniquely Irish concept. In the USA they make jokes about West Virginia inbred hicks, England has its West Country types, people in Tokyo look down their noses at people from Hokkaido, and so on. In Germany, people from Swabia (SW Germany) get grief because they don't speak Hochdeutsch, but don't seem to care much (depending on who you talk to).
    A. Culchie is ....someone who doesn't wear shiny tracksuits, doesn't stick earings and a tattoo on a two year old child, does not stab people at gigs, does not live with the constant drone of traffic in their ears, does not constantly say "do ya know wurra mean buddy", "bleedin.." or "howyez", does not know where the 42a goes to, does not care where the 42a goes to, does not think Kildare is "down the country", and does know that milk actually comes from a member of the bovine family, not Tesco or Spar... That's what a culchie is...

By that reasoning I am a culchie... Which is certainly a new one one me.

A culchie is anyone who lives more than than five miles from a dart line in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Felexicon wrote: »
    You know why dublin people are called jacks though right

would it be the miniature union jack waving.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

summerskin wrote: »
    Nope. It's the cosmopolitan nature of a city that makes it what it is. Beijing and Shanghai are great cities but hardly very cosmopolitan(and yes I've been to them) as they have quite a homogenised feel to them and not much in the way of international influence. as for Mumbai, any city where there are millions of people living in rubbish dumps can't really be considered sophisticated or cosmopolitan. All the cities I lived in, though, can.

Dublin just has a small town, culchie feel in comparison.

Well I bow down to your multikulti super sophisticated glow.
    I'm from Dublin but live in London but I think Dublin is as much a city as Munich or Stockholm or Oslo or Manchester or Vienna is. It's the capital of a country and the only place resembling a city in Dublin, and though it may be small in comparison it still has a wider range of pretty much everything than any other place in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

would it be the miniature union jack waving.:D
    Yep. They are actually called Jacks because the pale was the last place on the island to fly the union jack at full mast during the rising.

Dublin people who know this tend to take a bit more offence to being called jacks

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

THall04 wrote: »
    It was a fine walled city when ye Dublin muck savages were living in mud huts.
    I ain't a dub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

BS. Us culchies are honest God fearing catholics, none of those foreign religions for us. I hear they don't even have tae and hang sangiches at those things anyway

But if you were forced to go to one, wellies would be adorned.

Ellis Dee wrote: »

I believe the word culchie is originally derived from "Kiltimagh", which most Dubs couldn't pronounce properly and seem to think is where all the "muck savages" come from.

Killed me ma

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    But if you were forced to go to one, wellies would be adorned.
    Just wellies though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Manchester, London, Geneva, New York, Lyon and Miami.

Manchester is no more a real city than Dublin, and Geneva's population is similar to that of Dublin, as is Lyon's.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Thank christ im concidered to be a "culchie" anyway, the smell and uncleanliness or them city folk with their stupid posh accents ......i'd prefer to be a country boy any day of the week ......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

anyone in ireland from outside dublin. maybe only belfast would be the exception on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

A culchie is anyone who has ever worn a body warmer for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Sea Filly wrote: »
    There's a lot of idiots in Ireland so!
    There certainly are. You shouldn't need me to tell you that, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anyone outside of Dublin is considered a culchie. Cork, Roscommon, Limerick, Leitrim, Monaghan..... yiz are all the same and all culchies. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Manchester, London, Geneva, New York, Lyon and Miami.

Dublin is definitely more important to the world than manchester or lyon and possibly miami too. Those cities dont even have much bigger populations than dublin either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A Tipp girl who moves to attend UCD and returns home at Christmas sounding like a Yank

Is South Dublin the 51st state? What's with the American accent?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Waterford is Ireland's oldest city
    With that Viking reference in your location you should know this

And you left out Kilkenny!

Kilkenny..psshhh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As a Dub, I went down to a Feile na Gael in Clare as a teenager.....we were put up with a local family living in Shannon. I couldnt get over the young lad in the house, my own age, going on about all the Culchies who lived in some village down the road...

I was thinking WTF.....but you're a culchie too.....do ya not know that.

Irony being I grew up a few miles outside Swords, surrounded by fields, but never once for a second thought that I was a culchie. Didnt have a bogger accent anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Yeah but Dalkey and Neilstown are at least in the same county.

For Dubs a culchie is anyone outside Dublin.
    For people from outside Dublin it's simply people who live out in the back arse of nowhere

both the bold parts mean the same thing :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Dublin is definitely more important to the world than manchester or lyon and possibly miami too. Those cities dont even have much bigger populations than dublin either.
    greater dublin including dun laoghaire population- just over 1 million ,gt manchester population just under 3 million,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

getz wrote: »
    greater dublin including dun laoghaire population- just over 1 million ,gt manchester population just under 3 million,

According to this source, Dublin is the 454th largest city in the world, in between Pimpri Chinchwad (453rd and Rajkot (455th).

Good going.

Not sure where Waterford ranks.....

http://www.mongabay.com/cities_pop_01.htm

getz wrote: »

Greater dublin has a population of just over 1.8 million people actually according to the last census.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Dublin_Area

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A Tipp girl who moves to attend UCD and returns home at Christmas sounding like a Yank

Is South Dublin the 51st state? What's with the American accent?

Its the american tv shows! the likes of nickelodeon and disney channel. My younger brother and sister both speak like the actors on the tv shows now and have been asked if they were american many times actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

The only people that i have ever heard use the word culchie are from the pale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Greater dublin has a population of just over 1.8 million people actually according to the last census.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Dublin_Area

So still around a million or so less than greater manchester.

"Today, Greater Manchester is the economic centre of the North West region of England and is the largest sub-regional economy in the UK outside London and South East England.[122] Greater Manchester represents more than £42 billion of the UK regional GVA, more than Wales, Northern Ireland or North East England. It is the third most visited city in the United Kingdom by foreign visitors[127] and is now often considered to be the second city of the UK."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Hands like shovels

Distinct smell of cabbage

All weather is described with the adjective 'fierce' i.e. "it's fierce mild"

Some words might contain extra syllables e.g. "Go awayayayay"

Everyone on small roads deserve a salute, it's a sin otherwise

Pub quizzes contain questions on local knowledge e.g. "Who is Sheila O'Sullivan's daughter married to?"

To place who you are, a culchie will do a mental investigation of your family tree i.e. "Ah so your Christy's grandson, your position in society has been validated"

Red face, freckles, cheque shirts and flared jeans in a nightclub, begin their advance on women with a wink

Big weddings

Nose hair and combed eyebrows

Funeral homes can become social events

Limited selection of crisps at newsagents

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

That link and thus the 1.8 million includes Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow.

"The population of the Greater Dublin Area (using the second definition of Dublin City, Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown, Fingal, South Dublin, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow) as of Census 2011 was 1,801,040 persons."

Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow are not Dublin so the Dublin population is closer to 1 million

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So still around a million or so less than greater manchester.

"Today, Greater Manchester is the economic centre of the North West region of England and is the largest sub-regional economy in the UK outside London and South East England.[122] Greater Manchester represents more than £42 billion of the UK regional GVA, more than Wales, Northern Ireland or North East England. It is the third most visited city in the United Kingdom by foreign visitors[127] and is now often considered to be the second city of the UK."

You do know greater manchester refers to
    1.Manchester
    2.Stockport
    3.Tameside
    4.Oldham
    5.Rochdale
    6.Bury
    7.Bolton
    8.Wigan
    9.Salford
    10.Trafford

Which as well as Machester includes towns bigger than most of the cities in Ireland excluding Dublin cork and belfast.

The city of manchester which has its own coat of arms is the city the greater urban area is just that a greater area for administrative purposes but not a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

To Alcohol wrote: »
    That link and thus the 1.8 million includes Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow.

"The population of the Greater Dublin Area (using the second definition of Dublin City, Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown, Fingal, South Dublin, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow) as of Census 2011 was 1,801,040 persons."

Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow are not Dublin so the Dublin population is closer to 1 million

yes and when you exclude all the areas outside of the city of manchester the populations is approx half a million

Advertisement