Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Beasty wrote: »
    101st out of 2,008 participants, topdammit, I'm 2nd Irish based rider and around top 10 European - I'm going to retire while I'm ahead in this one (and before everyone else uploads their rides) ...:D

Curious how you got your rank in Ireland and Europe, I can't see any options to filter other than Overall and I'm Following. I'm going blind :(

edit: just noticed the calendar on the training page! Much MUCH more useful than the old paginated list, or the crappy calendar on the profile page which doesn't distinguish activity types. I remember filling out a survey a while back and the last question asked for any suggestions, mine was to wholesale steal the calendar from garmin connect ctrl-c ctrl-v style, and they seem to have done it (with some improvements)! Ye can all thank me for this :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Mr. Grieves, I'll be right behind you soon (that sounded weirder than I thought). Crosswind caught me at the bottom of Bearna Way, can definitely improve on that time. Won't beat your time but can definitely gain 6 seconds on it.

Second place now, 5 seconds gained, thanks to RottenHat for the warm up spin with the Audax Ireland hill climbing spin. Only 12 metres short of a km climb, must push further next time.

Can't figure out how to get the European or Irish rank either, is it a premium thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭g0g

Who is this Ryan Sherlock guy and does he cycle all over the county looking for KOMs to conquer!? :) Thought I had a good run at a sprint segment I tried today but I'm still miles (25% more) off his time! It's a nice little section along Marley Park - I normally come from the Three Rock side but did the other direction today. It's W-E so I'd say all the good times had a nice tailwind!
    LINK

Random piece of info for anyone who participated in the KOM challenge last year you can get a free patch delivered if you want from here. Four to choose from.
    KOM-stack2_grande.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

g0g wrote: »
    Who is this Ryan Sherlock guy and does he cycle all over the county looking for KOMs to conquer!? :) Thought I had a good run at a sprint segment I tried today but I'm still miles (25% more) off his time! It's a nice little section along Marley Park - I normally come from the Three Rock side but did the other direction today. It's W-E so I'd say all the good times had a nice tailwind!
    LINK

The day on that section the wind was neutral... but I was on my TT bike :)

• Advertisement

The day on that section the wind was neutral... but I was on my TT bike :)
    Well my trusty hybrid is someday gonna beat that time! Based on your other times I have no doubt the wind was neutral! I on the other hand would need a hurricane behind me! (or possibly a motorbike!)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

g0g wrote: »
    Well my trusty hybrid is someday gonna beat that time! Based on your other times I have no doubt the wind was neutral! I on the other hand would need a hurricane behind me! (or possibly a motorbike!)

Yeah, some days there can be a huge wind along there... I was just finishing up a TT effort and wanted to make a bit of an effort. When turning in to that corner though (at the start of the segment) watch the hole... I double punctured on it before, tubs... I cried (almost)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mfdc wrote: »
    Curious how you got your rank in Ireland and Europe, I can't see any options to filter other than Overall and I'm Following. I'm going blind :(
    I simply counted (what at I thought at the time was) the 100 riders ahead of me - a very large proportion of which were from the Asia Pacific region (and in particular Australia)

Looks like anyone in Samoa has a definite advantage, not only decent cycling weather but 13 hours ahead - no wonder they dropped a day at the end of last year - it was all to do with getting higher up the Strava leaderboards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Wow see the leaders last spin:

http://app.strava.com/rides/3143373

353 km Distance :eek:
    3,672 m Elevation :eek:
    11:45:01Moving Time :eek:
    Avg Speed 30.0 km/h :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Will there be a KOM this year anyone reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Saw the below, here - http://support.strava.com/discussions/questions/1759-2012-kom

Hi Douglas and others,

The Studio Velo-sponsored KOM Challenge is only a 2011 Event. We will not have any year-long events for 2012, but many different and new Challenges throughout the year. Stay tuned for updates, and sign up for the Base Mile Challenge to kick things off!

Best,
    Elle

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Looking at one of the climbs of one of the leaders of the base mile challenge made me ask what is the longest climb logged on strava ?

http://app.strava.com/segments/756214
    38.9 Km @ 4.9%, ouch ! :eek:

'fraid we need more daylight to catch up with the boys up the leaderboard, or a lot more spare time ! oh well, might as well join for the 'craic'. Always got the excuse that my proper bike is out of action and the second bike (a very heavy mtb) absolutely prevents any serious distance riding.......roll on the excuses !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cantalach

seve65 wrote: »
    Looking at one of the climbs of one of the leaders of the base mile challenge made me ask what is the longest climb logged on strava ?

http://app.strava.com/segments/756214
    38.9 Km @ 4.9%, ouch ! :eek:

Naa...the big one down in Andalucia makes that look easy:

http://app.strava.com/segments/759812

only one thimg to say to that 'jesus wept' !

the leader in the base mile blast challenge is up to 869 miles in 5 days. He must be welded to his frame. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cantalach wrote: »
    Naa...the big one down in Andalucia makes that look easy:

http://app.strava.com/segments/759812
    Pfft.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/623325

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

seamus wrote: »
    I pity the couple that took 9 hours to do that 56km segment

the leader in the base mile blast challenge is up to 869 miles in 5 days. He must be welded to his frame. :eek:
    Think I'm going to drive around slowly for a few days - only thing is I keep forgetting to turn the Garmin off in the car;)

Think I'm going to drive around slowly for a few days - only thing is I keep forgetting to turn the Garmin off in the car;)
    I think this guy took my hint a little too seriously - 8,558m climbed at an average of 716kph - he must have taken his computer on a plane with him:D

app.strava.com/rides/3266294
    whats funny is, he got loads of cat 3 and 2 climbs in his aeroplane but no cat 1s or Hors Cats !!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

mutually diffusing, at least

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Finally registered Now to get the miles in after far tool long out of the saddle

lol, number 12 with 490 miles in the base mile blast,rides an AM bike and a PM bike.:)

http://app.strava.com/athletes/190434

Stopped using Strava about a week ago as I was busy and was worried it would waste my battery. Flicked it on yesterday after work, slight headwind and I felt sh1t and couldn't realy be arsed trying. This was duly reflected in my time which was over 5 minutes slower than usual until the Bearna Way, because I had headwind the whole way, it meant that the typical side wind as you came round the M50 roundabout had disappeared, I hit it at an OK pace but I didn't drop speed until near the top. I didn't feel it was great but it wasn't bad, still in the top 10 I thought as I rolled home.

JOINT 1st Mr. Grieves, I think I shall retire from Strava right now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Strava is a curse and a distraction. I keep going home the same way thinking all I need is a tailwind and some green lights and that elusive 17 seconds is mine.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Strava is a curse and a distraction. I keep going home the same way thinking all I need is a tailwind and some green lights and that elusive 17 seconds is mine.

Hmmm, a new challenge with only an extra 5 minutes onto my home commute, lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Now up to 100 members!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hmmm, a new challenge with only an extra 5 minutes onto my home commute, lovely.

The problem with that segment is the amount of traffic lights. If you catch a green wave then a good time is possible; otherwise you'll waste ages sitting around.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Now up to 100 members!
    Just need to get Ryan to join now - he'll probably just about double the team stats ... (and if you're reading from sunny Spain Ryan, you can be in more than one Club on Strava;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just need to get Ryan to join now - he'll probably just about double the team stats ... (and if you're reading from sunny Spain Ryan, you can be in more than one Club on Strava;))

He's over a thousand miles behind the leader - do we want a loser like that on our team:D

Plus, I'm fed up doing hills, getting home all proud with myself, loading my data on strava and then finding he's been there already and recorded a time that I'd need to use my car to beat.

He should only be allowed to join if he can provide a list of 10 hills (decent ones!) that he has not climbed - and, if he is willing to promise to stay away from those hills:)

Advertisement