Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Want to gain weight.

Options
  • 03-07-2009 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 6 ft and weigh 12 and a half stone. I would like to put on another stone or so. I have been this weight for a few years but could probably do with a few more pounds.

I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, never snack. I only eat when I'm hungry and stop eating when I'm not. I would not finish a plate if I was already feeling full.

What is the best way to gain weight> eat more I hear you say, But I'm not a big eater and couldn't just munch away all day.

What are the best foods to eat? and how long should I gain it over?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

finish plate and ask for more should do the trick:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

By and large, your body has good mechanisms in place to make you eat more when you need it. Start doing some more exercise. Do weights if you want to build up bulk. If you're using energy building muscles, your body will let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

tallaght01 wrote: »
    By and large, your body has good mechanisms in place to make you eat more when you need it.
    Some people's appetites are very small though, and they find themselves physically much smaller than they would want to be.

OP eating regulalry and frequently will help and it will mean eating more than you normally would. Calorie heavy foods like nuts and nut butters are easy to eat and good for you - wholemeal toast + chopped banana + peanut butter = the business!!! Needless to say don't just eat everything around you, make healthy choices that will encourage your body to put on good weight.

Heavy compound lifts like squats and deadlifts will help utilise the food you're eating and build muscle.

Resistance training along with a good diet will help you get bigger without getting fatter.

Also check out the Fitness Forum as there are a lot of queries like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Fair enough. But it's very difficult to go into negative energy balance without your body telling you it's hungry.

I agree that energy rich foods are a good idea, but only in the context of exercising. Otherwise you don't always store them in particularly healthy forms if you eat more than your calorific requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thanks for the help,
    I am quite active, run about 15 - 20 KM a week. not really into weights, when I properly trained a few months back I did a bit of weight training as part of my programme but has never mad about it.
    I could put on a good stone without looking overly fat I'd say.

Today I increased my calorie intake by about a 1000 cals. Yeah ye are right about picking the right types of food. What type of nut would be the best. Am quite active in work so eating nuts would be ideal.

what are yer thoughts on protein shakes etc? I have never used them.

if this would be better in Fitness forum, could it be moved?

Thanks again for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Moved to Fitness from Men's Health - this thread is more suited to Fitness :)

Best of luck OP

Advertisement