Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call screening ERAS

Options
  • 10-11-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I was in the house of a bereaved family today where a young member of their family was killed last night. I was talking to the victim's brother who was with him at the time and made the 999 call. He said he gave the details and after 11 minutes from making the call(on his phone call log) he got a call back from the ambulance service to confirm that it wasn't a hoax call. At the time he was already losing the rag as he put it as he started to feel no one was coming and the call certainly didn't help.

I understand why its done but at the same time would they not be better to maybe ask in the original call or is there no other way at all to eliminate the call back.

Could the control room not have said just checking how your holding up,help is on the way etc.

I assume its done because resources are at a low but at the same time why send 2 ambulances and 2 RRVs to a single casualty which was stated in call.Especially when ambulance control called the fire service so the question of assistance for carrying etc would have been covered.

I'm not bad mouthing the Ambulance service or anything, its just a genuine question I have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I was in the house of a bereaved family today where a young member of their family was killed last night. I was talking to the victim's brother who was with him at the time and made the 999 call. He said he gave the details and after 11 minutes from making the call(on his phone call log) he got a call back from the ambulance service to confirm that it wasn't a hoax call. At the time he was already losing the rag as he put it as he started to feel no one was coming and the call certainly didn't help.

I understand why its done but at the same time would they not be better to maybe ask in the original call or is there no other way at all to eliminate the call back.

Could the control room not have said just checking how your holding up,help is on the way etc.

I assume its done because resources are at a low but at the same time why send 2 ambulances and 2 RRVs to a single casualty which was stated in call.Especially when ambulance control called the fire service so the question of assistance for carrying etc would have been covered.

I'm not bad mouthing the Ambulance service or anything, its just a genuine question I have.

Can I first offer my sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend and thoughts are with their family.

If this call relates to the incident in Wicklow, you mentioned 'ERAS', the old name for the NAS in the Eastern Region. At no point was contact broken with the caller, in fact due to the serious nature of the call an experienced control supervisor with vast experience of the county involved, aided in the processing of the call, there was, understandably, a lot of distress with the caller and gaining accurate information as to their location was extremely difficult but was achieved with the help of the vastly experienced and professional control staff and the appropriate resources were dispatched to the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flyingmachine

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Can I first offer my sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend and thoughts are with their family.

If this call relates to the incident in Wicklow, you mentioned 'ERAS', the old name for the NAS in the Eastern Region. At no point was contact broken with the caller, in fact due to the serious nature of the call an experienced control supervisor with vast experience of the county involved, aided in the processing of the call, there was, understandably, a lot of distress with the caller and gaining accurate information as to their location was extremely difficult but was achieved with the help of the vastly experienced and professional control staff and the appropriate resources were dispatched to the scene.

I'm certainly not doubting you when you say contact wasn't broken but I did see for myself on his phone 999 dialled and 11 mins later an 01 number received. Now that's not saying that Amb Control weren't on the phone for 10 mins and 50 secs and got disconnected for whatever reason and rang him back.

I suppose my main point of the post was the fact that he stated he was asked was this a hoax call which I think would be insensitive at a time like that. I do understand there is protocols in place that have to be followed.

Thanks for your reply.

Advertisement