Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Someone who grew up in the country, village or small town.

Eats hang sammichs and tae out of the boot of the car on the way to the match.

Adds a "h" to words such as "stick" turns into "shtick"

Road frontage is important when lookin for a fella.

Hearding the cattle.

Bringing in the horses.

Owning a pair of green wellies for the fields, not fancy ones for music festivals.

Culchie & proud :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭hadepsx

hondasam wrote: »
    Anyone that lives outside of Dublin is considered a culchie.

dublin forum:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I remember being in The Big Tree after a Croker match one day and I was talking to a lad I know from the country. He had blue jeans on and shoes. I thought "I bet he's wearing those shoes to get into the 'disco' later on". He then said that he was.

You just know one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

hondasam wrote: »
    Can we say the ones that left the lane are posh culchies ?

anyone with a lane is a fecking pretensions bogger or blow in, them the rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

People who eat their dinner in the middle of the day.
    People who eat their dinner in the middle of a field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I was in Liverpool at the weekend and none of the ladies were impressed with my 25 good acres and an acre and a half of rough ground.

Apart from one Welsh wee cuttie.

Funny eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Barrell arse blockhead.

Heavy-set, with a harsh scowl eminating from a white, round face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

hadepsx wrote: »
    dublin forum:D;)

Are you insinuating I'm a Dub?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

summerskin wrote: »
    Manchester, London, Geneva, New York, Lyon and Miami.

I see. So you would consider yourself a culchie in the eyes of people from Shanghai, Beijing, Mumbai and all the other cities that are larger than the tiddlers you lived in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Everyone from Dublin is a jackeen and everyone not from Dublin is a culchie. Thats the rules OP, live with it.

And what the Queen says goes isn't that right!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A culchie is someone who heads straight for Coppers the minute they arrive in Dublin with sandwiches wrapped in tin foil in their pocket. Usually wear a shirt under a round neck jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You are a culchie when you can watch D'Unbelievables and genuinely know someone exactly like the characters being portrayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When the boss asks a question you say "shure that does be the way I do be doing it"

You are not named Anto or Jaaaaaaaacinta. And you have supper, you would never shout "come in for yar taaaaaaaaay" as you hear in the rough parts

You buy Toyota as everyone knows the Japs make the best cars

You shall never ever buy a car with a reg plate from the neighboring county. GAA reasons

You don't know how an americano or a pannini is made and you have no desire to ever buy one

You are aware that a Massey is classy but a Zetor is better

It's ye, not yous

County first, country second

During championship season you write good luck in chalk on the main road in the village

You will write messages in white paint on silage bales and you might even paint your sheep if they are going to the show. The show, yes everyone knows the show, it's once a year

Your TD will attend your funeral, it's a sleight if they do not!

Your parish priest will talk about GAA in the sermon

You read the death notices every week and check them on local radio

One of your lifes goals is to build your own house on your site. That site has been promised to you since you were a young lad :)

You think Dublin drivers are far too aggressive and impatient. What's the rush? So your stress levels increase if you have to go there. Not their fault, just pushy city folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

People who wear their county jersey when they go abroad to identify themselves to fellow boggers and to let the natives know that they are Irish and "great craic".

Their main topic of conversation will be "What pubs are showing the match ?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

real culchies

Real and original culchies are from Kiltimagh. The rest are culchie-lite or boggers:p:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Chauncey wrote: »
    Manchester, London, Geneva, New York, Lyon and Miami.

I see. So you would consider yourself a culchie in the eyes of people from Shanghai, Beijing, Mumbai and all the other cities that are larger than the tiddlers you lived in?

Nope. It's the cosmopolitan nature of a city that makes it what it is. Beijing and Shanghai are great cities but hardly very cosmopolitan(and yes I've been to them) as they have quite a homogenised feel to them and not much in the way of international influence. as for Mumbai, any city where there are millions of people living in rubbish dumps can't really be considered sophisticated or cosmopolitan. All the cities I lived in, though, can.

Dublin just has a small town, culchie feel in comparison.

• Administrators Posts: 53,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there a difference between culchie and bogger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

tricky D wrote: »
    Real and original culchies are from Kiltimagh. The rest are culchie-lite or boggers:p:pac:

Everyone from Mayo is a culchie/bogger. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

awec wrote: »

To a dub? No

• Administrators Posts: 53,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To a dub? No
    Just wanted to make sure I hadn't been labelling people incorrectly, y'know. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

This will just result in the bog warriors taking pot shots at the fine, clean, morally righteous, upstanding citizens of Dublin.

I kid, I'm well aware that I live in a junkie hive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I kid, I'm well aware that I live in a junkie hive.

Still better than Leitrim :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

The man next door, who fell in love with an english woman who seems to be a pretty poor gardener herself.

Sort-iiiit..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sindri wrote: »
    Are you looking for geographic/regional boundaries are what?

A culchie is someone who is considered by someone not a culchie to display traits common among rural folk that are significant to Ireland. A thick accent along with a quintessential Irish attitude and deportment. It depends on the person who is using the term or designating some one as a "culchie", whether they themselves are county folk or whether they are city dwellers as to what they would classify as a "culchie" but it usually includes the above.

Ahh here, down with this talkin' sense malarky. There be no place for it round here!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

awec wrote: »

Boggers reside in the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Nope. It's the cosmopolitan nature of a city that makes it what it is. Beijing and Shanghai are great cities but hardly very cosmopolitan(and yes I've been to them) as they have quite a homogenised feel to them and not much in the way of international influence. as for Mumbai, any city where there are millions of people living in rubbish dumps can't really be considered sophisticated or cosmopolitan. All the cities I lived in, though, can.

Dublin just has a small town, culchie feel in comparison.

I will give you New york and London as cosmopoiltan, but Manchester??

Dublin is more cosmopolitan than Manchester, and that is coming form a culchie not an over defensive dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Limerick and galway arent cities, waterford is most definitely not, cork is just barely a city, more like a large town, Dublin is the only true city and thats not even big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The 'culchie' is almost obsolete what with the internet an' all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Limerick and galway arent cities, waterford is most definitely not, cork is just barely a city, more like a large town, Dublin is the only true city and thats not even big.

Waterford is Ireland's oldest city
    With that Viking reference in your location you should know this

And you left out Kilkenny!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The 'culchie' is almost obsolete what with the internet an' all.
    Wheeesht

Advertisement