Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Umnitza Orion V2s, white LED angel eyes - Illegal?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

I have a set of these on my E46 and himself just got pulled by a Garda today saying they are too bright and they are illegal.

These are a whole headlamp unit and have passed the nct TWICE. Is he just being a dick about it? Never heard of these being illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mrs crilly wrote: »
    I have a set of these on my E46 and himself just got pulled by a Garda today saying they are too bright and they are illegal.

These are a whole headlamp unit and have passed the nct TWICE. Is he just being a dick about it? Never heard of these being illegal?
    Sorry, but his subjective opinion doesn't count. If it passed the NCT with them, as headlamp aim is part of the test, then NCT trumps it.

Did they come with any TuV or CE papers ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

That's my thought's exactly, just wanted to make sure I was 100% right before I start ranting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Photos? Ive never seen LED angel eyes that actually looked "too" bright. Is he saying you are too easy to see in daytime? Cos there is no way they out-shine your headlamps!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Should have asked him for the relevant section of the RTA that he was being stopped about - the only thing I can see is in relation to Side lamps, in that they shouldn't exceed 7w. Anything else he's making up.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html#zzsi189y1963a11

That's my thought's exactly, just wanted to make sure I was 100% right before I start ranting.....

TuV or CE papers would back up the NCT, which would be handy. carry them in the car, and don't get narky with them. Be nice, firm, but nice, and you'll be grand.

Oh, and never let facts get in the way of a good rant :-)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Should have asked him for the relevant section of the RTA that he was being stopped about - the only thing I can see is in relation to Side lamps, in that they shouldn't exceed 7w. Anything else he's making up.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html#zzsi189y1963a11
    There is now way an LED is anywhere near 7W. Consider, an LED equivalent of a 50W halogen light at home is only 3.5W, which should play nicely for you.

Ode To The Motorist

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Photos? Ive never seen LED angel eyes that actually looked "too" bright. Is he saying you are too easy to see in daytime? Cos there is no way they out-shine your headlamps!

PA164657.jpg

I don't have a pic of them with the headlamps on but as far as I know he didn't have them on anyway.

I have driven in front of this car in the dark and the lights are perfect, there are worse fellas driving around with the wrong bulbs in non projector headlamp units :rolleyes:

/drool

There's another thing to add to my list for the e46 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

The lights are fine...the plates,however...:P

Nforce wrote: »

You've yet to see the Mrs.Crilly plates... :D

• Advertisement

/drool

There's another thing to add to my list for the e46 :D
    Why thank you!

I was waiting for this :o
    You've yet to see the Mrs.Crilly plates... :D

Oh jesus never a good thing when people know the term 'Crilly Plates' :o:D:o:D

...also...may I commend you on an incredibly tidy garage....not a thing out of place!:eek:
    Mine has all manner of shyte scattered about...kids bikes,dismantled trampoline,garden furniture and a big pallet of coal!:D

...also...may I commend you on an incredibly tidy garage....not a thing out of place!:eek:
    Mine has all manner of shyte scattered about...
    +100

Mine is a dog's dinner :$

Ode To The Motorist

Im afraid thats my fathers garage not mine but i inherited his ocd so my shed is pretty similar!

Im afraid thats my fathers garage not mine but i inherited his ocd so my shed is pretty similar!

Do you do courses in this..if so I'll send Mrs Nforce around!:pac:

Do you do courses in this..if so I'll send Mrs Nforce around!:pac:

Yes of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

I have a set of those, well the inserts rather then the whole lamp and passed a couple of NCT's with them in. Never an issue, also passed loads of guards and have never been stopped. I wouldnt worry too much.

Advertisement