Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Son diagnosed with Dyspraxia not entitled to SNA

• 17-10-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi my son has just be told he has dysprixa he is 4 years old and has very poor speech and language difficulty and has be told he will not get an sna for school can any body give me some advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 madra_baiste

hi my son has just be told he has dysprixa he is 4 years old and has very poor speech and language difficulty and has be told he will not get an sna for school can any body give me some advice

I'd suggest you start off by joining the very active Dyspraxia Association. They also have a helpful Facebook group. As regards special education support each region has a SENO (Special Needs Education Organiser) you can google for a list. maybe you can follow up with them.

Our son wasn't diagnosed until he was seven, while he never had a SNA he did get special needs support in primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Did the school apply for an SNA for you and come back and tell you this?
    Will he get any support for the speech and language difficulties at school. Like a resource teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Most things nowadays don't get sna entitlements, what you need to see is what supports they will be able to provide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Unfortunately what appears to be happening is that a child must have a 'care need' which often means bad behaviour or dangerous to be around rather than have an academic need.
    Keep putting pressure on whoever you can in order to gain as many supports as possible for your son, that's about all you can do !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I've had a student who has been extremely disruptive but in the past year she was diagnosed with dyspraxia. She has not, unfortunately, been given an SNA. However, the diagnosis alone has resulted in an amazing change, like a weight of enormous frustration has been taken off her. She feels understood now, and we teachers do understand her more. The diagnosis has been extremely beneficial for her confidence and she is working harder than ever as she doesn't just write herself off as "thick". Hopefully, your son's experience will be as positive and you are blessed that the diagnosis has happened at four (the above girl was a shameful 15 because we never had the resources for en educational psychologist to assess her).

It is conceivable, if not likely, that your principal could allocate an existing SNA to your son for a number of classes per week. This is what happens in our school as the student for whom the SNA is allocated may not be turning up for school so the principal speaks with the SEN person in the school and they allocate hours to other students in need. That could be a possible step forward for the moment. Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Op, have you had an assessment of needs processed by your local health center. If not do this, sometimes they can direct you in the right direction.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unfortunately, SNA provision has been slashed. In many cases , even with huge needs a child may not even get "access" to an SNA. (Access being one SNA shared between children in different needs, as if an SNA can be in several places at the one time. )

Advertisement