Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

evil_seed wrote: »
    The fuss being kicked up over 1 hour is crazy. That's all I have to say on the matter

Then why is it such a big deal if the pubs are open an extra hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It sort of is though, hence the fact this wasn't a problem for the past forever.

The legislation hasn't changed, the behaviour of the guards has - thanks to one jobsworth.

But it definitely should not be at the guards discretion! They are there to enforce the law. Something we moan enough about them not doing.

What needs to change is the law itself. I've spent a few weeks in Germany over the last year and have never had to panic drink because I arrived out late and wanted to make sure I had a bit of buzz going before the night's fun was over. There's nearly always somewhere to get a drink there and if not you can still get cans somewhere and go back to a house. And panic drinking is very easy to overshoot. Dangerously easy. Often the nights I've ended up in a mess is because I got out from work at say 12.30 and only had maybe a 2 hour window to squeeze my night out into. This is what we need to remedy and suggestions of even earlier closing are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Anybody know why Judge Garavan ruled for 1am extensions over the full 2am ones in the first place?

Also how come the newer Judge in Galway (it's another woman isn't it? See the pattern here :-P ) hasn't reviewed this or has kept it in place?

Judges are pretty keen to see their rulings being enforced, you think Garavan was never in a bar late or heard of premises selling drink after the 1am extension limit he imposed in all the time the guards weren't enforcing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

It sort of is though, hence the fact this wasn't a problem for the past forever.

The legislation hasn't changed, the behaviour of the guards has - thanks to one jobsworth.

I honestly always thought half 2 was way too early for a nightclub to close. Now it's 1am? Oh well, be cheaper nights providing the club's don't have the cheek to charge us for being in there for one hour. Then back to the houseparties to get up to plenty of worse things than consuming alcohol in a controlled premises at 1.30am :eek:

Will also have to make sure we start extra early on Saturday, might even binge drink (that's consuming 3 drinks in a row or something, right?). Fúck it, I won't even pick my rubbish up. A.C.A.B.

Don't get me wrong, its horrible being in a position where I'm defending the gards and I hate everyone of yee for making me "that guy".
    Again though the behavior of the gards is largely irrelevant due to the fact that even if we petition them, the law remains the same.

This is a serious problem and I think this will extend beyond the current petition and a couple of supportive facebook pages. They are indeed well intentioned, but if intentions are good then a step back for a moment to realise what the issue is, the law. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

For far too long now the question about adjusting the closing times for pubs and clubs has been largely side stepped and politicians, the ones who can develop the change, have ignored it as it is one of those issues that can split their voters so being on either side of the argument is detrimental so why bother with it?
    Local politicians, as ignorantly stupid as they are to the facts about longer opening hours and the fall in crime in general, need to be contacted. It well and good liking a facebook page and signing the petition but if people are serious about this then they need to realise how real change can actually be made.

This may sound a bit harsh on those looking to make the changes necessary but if people are serious about this then they need to get serious about it. A few things done differently now makes the difference about how we talk about this being a success of a failure in a few weeks/months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

ShooterSF wrote: »
    But it definitely should not be at the guards discretion! They are there to enforce the law.
    I agree. Obviously the ideal situation would be to legislate for later hours, same way it would be sensible to legislate for recreational drug use. Unfortunately the amount of red tape, and the people who have to deal with when pursuing this remedy are not exactly greasing the wheels of progress.

It would be easier if the Guards just copped on and remembered they're there to help us, although I appreciate this isn't the reason many of them choose their line of work.
    Something we moan enough about them not doing.
    Speak for yourself, I think they already do more than enough of it.

The sad thing about all this is because it concerns alcohol, there will always be that one sanctimonious eejit who tells everyone they should be able to do without. The majority of people in opposition to this nonsense are not hardcore alcoholics, they are decent people pissed off because someone is deliberately trying to take away one of the widely enjoyable things that we're allowed to do any more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Anybody know why Judge Garavan ruled for 1am extensions over the full 2am ones in the first place?

Also how come the newer Judge in Galway (it's another woman isn't it? See the pattern here :-P ) hasn't reviewed this or has kept it in place?

Judges are pretty keen to see their rulings being enforced, you think Garavan was never in a bar late or heard of premises selling drink after the 1am extension limit he imposed in all the time the guards weren't enforcing it?

According to the original ruling, Garavan had been told be "respectable" young men that they couldn't meet nice girls in clubs and the women who frequented them were "dreadful".

So basically, no bloody reason at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

'Keen on seeing their rulings enforced on others', I think is the important distinction made here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seaneh wrote: »
    According to the original ruling, Garavan had been told be "respectable" young men that they couldn't meet nice girls in clubs and the women who frequented them were "dreadful".

I know, he did leave open the possibility that non dreadful women could frequent these establishments and that he may let them open later.

Sadly he retired before any evidence was available that non dreadful women went to Galway Night Clubs in any sizeable numbers.:cool: I think they go to weddings instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I know, he did leave open the possibility that non dreadful women could frequent these establishments and that he may let them open later.

Sadly he retired before any evidence was available that non dreadful women went to Galway Night Clubs in any sizeable numbers.:cool: I think they go to weddings instead. :)

No better man than Judge GAR-A-VAN! I use to read the Advertiser just to read his one liners when sentencing criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

It's definitely not 2:30 in Cork, its actually one of the things that annoys me going out in Cork rather than up home in Galway, you wont get a drink anywhere past 2am and they are very fast to push you out the door. It was noticed instantly by friends visiting me.

As I said earlier I have left clubs in Galway as late as 3:30, I haven't been served passed 2am or been inside anywhere in Cork even as late as 2:30 with out being pushed out the door (except lock ins)
    Was in a club the other night in Ballincollig that last call was half 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Will be interesting to see how the super Super deals with the Leaving Cert results crowd over the next 18 hours or so.

Will be interesting to see how the super Super deals with the Leaving Cert results crowd over the next 18 hours or so.
    I think the forecast rain will make that job easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danzdan

I think throwing everyone out on the streets at the same time is gonna cause major grief for the gardas and emergency services. They'll fighting all night in eyre square.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Who do the guards think they are enforcing the law like that? Don't they realise this is Ireland?

• yenom wrote: »
    Was in a club the other night in Ballincollig that last call was half 2.

Anywhere I've been in the city is last call at 2 or very close to it and I've been in most of the late bar and clubs in Cork city over the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I see that Petitiongenius has changed their petition a bit.

Originally it read.
    "Recently the Galway Super-Interndant (sic) has decided to clamp down on Club's (sic) and Late bar's (sic) around Galway City. Sunday to Thursday club hours are now 1.00 p.m (sic) as apposed (sic) to the usual 2.00p.m (sic) closing time which has always been (sic) the case in Galway. "

It has been <cough> cleaned up <cough> and now reads.
    "Recently the Galway Super-Interndant (sic) has decided to clamp down on Club's (sic) and Late bar's (sic) around Galway City. Sunday to Thursday club hours are now 1.00 p.m as apposed (sic) to the usual 2.00 p.m closing time which has always been (sic) the case in Galway."

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

pure cock. whats happening now is all the bars are shutting their doors at 12.30, but the festivities just keep on going inside!

In the dail last night, stopped serving around 12.45, we left and snuck back in around half 1 and the place was still busy.

passed by kellys and even though it was all closed up the music was pumping out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight, first big night since these daft new changes..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

THFC wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight, first big night since these daft new changes..

Tonight will be an anomaly with the leaving cert students out in force. Best to judge it over a sustained period of normal nights rather than tonight. Only thing that will happen tonight is we'll see the puke fest of the teens much earlier when they are carted out on to the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Caliden wrote: »
    Then why is it such a big deal if the pubs are open an extra hour?

That's my point. It shouldn't be a big deal. 1AM is already passed licencing hours. And people blaming the super is silly. It's the licencing sergeant. It's all in the sentinel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

It's definitely not 2:30 in Cork, its actually one of the things that annoys me going out in Cork rather than up home in Galway, you wont get a drink anywhere past 2am and they are very fast to push you out the door. It was noticed instantly by friends visiting me.

As I said earlier I have left clubs in Galway as late as 3:30, I haven't been served passed 2am or been inside anywhere in Cork even as late as 2:30 with out being pushed out the door (except lock ins)

Its definately half 2 in Cork at the weekends anyway maybe 2 during the week.

Only a couple of weeks till students are back and this is going to cause mayhem, many wont bother heading out which will mean more house parties and a lot less money for businesses in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Surf_Pointer

I can't see this being of any benefit to anyone including the guards. Its not going to cut down on assaults or drink related crimes, as it will just encourage people who pre drink on the streets, to start doing so at an earlier hour, and also probably after the club has finished. There will be a lot more house party's - imagine when the colleges come back. It will and probably already has had major affects on local business, take-away's, pubs, clubs, ect. meaning it will also cause a loss of employment. A lot of tourists I have met over the years have commended Galway on its cultural night-life. We are in the middle of a recession, way to try and dampen one of the few thriving sectors. But that's just my opinion, obviously whoever's responsible probably has a much better idea of what he's doing - or so they should hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

And people blaming the super is silly. It's the licencing sergeant.

And the sergeant answers to whom ?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

That's my point. It shouldn't be a big deal. 1AM is already passed licencing hours.
    The hour is a major issue if you're one of the businesses who are paying €410 per night for them. It mightn't sound like much to some people but it's €150k per year and on many weeknights it's the difference between being open late or not. It potentially makes business unviable for some of the clubs and late bars if they're not able to provide much more than the bar around the corner and possibly want a cover charge too. It's also an issue if it puts licensing in Galway City (Ireland's most popular tourist destination this year) on a considerably early timetable than the rest of the country.

Not everyone may like it but there's a large group of Galway's population who like the option of a late night out like you can have in any other city in Ireland.
    And people blaming the super is silly. It's the licencing sergeant. It's all in the sentinel
    There's both a new Superintendent and new Licensing Sergeant. It you think that the Licensing Sergeant has been doing this all month without the explicit approval of the Superintendent you're definitely mistaken.

• Its definately half 2 in Cork at the weekends anyway maybe 2 during the week.

I'm telling you it isn't. Last Saturday night in the brogue no drink after 2. In the Bowery a few weeks ago bar closed at 2 on the button. Regularly in the Roxy (upstairs in The classic ) bar closes at 2. This is weekends I'm talking about, closing time the same during the week. Same in the bodega, Crane lane, slate, soho and reardens. The only place I'm not sure is Havanas as I've been too loaded to remember any weekend I was there but it was 2 on a recent Wednesday night I was there.

I noticed the minute I moved to Cork how bars close at 2 and they are all very quick to kick you out, hardly time to finish a drink.

I'm out in Cork twice a week nearly every week I know when places stop serving.

I'm telling you it isn't. Last Saturday night in the brogue no drink after 2. In the Bowery a few weeks ago bar closed at 2 on the button. Regularly in the Roxy (upstairs in The classic ) bar closes at 2. This is weekends I'm talking about, closing time the same during the week. Same in the bodega, Crane lane, slate, soho and reardens. The only place I'm not sure is Havanas as I've been too loaded to remember any weekend I was there but it was 2 on a recent Wednesday night I was there.

I noticed the minute I moved to Cork how bars close at 2 and they are all very quick to kick you out, hardly time to finish a drink.

I'm out in Cork twice a week nearly every week I know when places stop serving.

Iv lived in Cork my whole life, and havanas closed at 2.30 the last time I was there, bar might have closed at 2 but we didnt get rushed out anyway.
    Also another club I go to outside the city closes at about 2.30 or even 3 on occasions.

Most places you named there are late bars and a lot of the time they close before clubs anyway.

And if you look at Reardons facebook page it says half 2.

• Sorry Mr know it all.

Iv lived in Cork my whole life, and havanas closed at 2.30 the last time I was there.
    Also another club I go to outside the city closes at about 2.30 or even 3 on occasions.

Most places you named there are late bars and a lot of the time they close before clubs anyway.

And if you look at Reardons facebook page it says half 2.

I did say I wasn't sure about Havanas in fairness and its only places in the city I know about really. Also when you say closed I assume you mean stopped serving, as if you mean closed at 2:30 that would mean serving stopped at 2 most likely.

Even if the bar closes at 2 which it prob does in most places you should get half an hour drinking up time which would bring the opening time to 2.30.

Whats happening with this in Galway actually? Are they saying closing at 1am and kicking everyone out then or do people get the half an hour drinking up time?

• Even if the bar closes at 2 which it prob does in most places you should get half an hour drinking up time which would bring the opening time to 2.30.

Whats happening with this in Galway actually? Are they saying closing at 1am and kicking everyone out then or do people get the half an hour drinking up time?

Well its bar closing at 2 I was referring to when talking about bars in Cork with the actual place closing sometime between 2 and 2:30 then to allow drinking up time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

What's with the need for a late license anyway ? Maybe I sound naive but what's the purpose of it ?

Advertisement