Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I feel bad that people don't feel like they can post here anymore. That said, though, I can see how it's changed and I have a bit of a love/hate thing with it sometimes.

I'd like to think we're welcoming to newcomers though :o

I'm only been posting here in the last six months...to me there has been a good number of new people posting here since I started as well.

As a newcomerish I don't really get all this cryptic "the threads changed" messages and really I don't like it as it seems almost like a veiled insult as posters here.

One of the people who has recently left, in my mind shot herself in the foot and I don't think it is anyone else's fault.

Unless I am missing something maybe that someone could explain to me, this thread does what it says on the tin and I've found a great support/place to unload as I think have others.

What has changed??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Holy f*** I'm going to have a sh** load of posts to catch up on. I'm on my phone at the moment. Haven't logged in on my laptop in like 2 days! :eek:
    i've never known you to swear like that jane! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

^^^^^ +1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

In answer to your question, i think that there has been blips but over all it hasnt changed and I think nee posters are made feel v welcome.

Was replying to ophigons post, but was too slow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I'm only been posting here in the last six months...to me there has been a good number of new people posting here since I started as well.

As a newcomerish I don't really get all this cryptic "the threads changed" messages and really I don't like it as it seems almost like a veiled insult as posters here.

Oh no no no. I don't know about others but that's not what I mean at all!

It's hard to explain. I just worry sometimes that this thread might come across a bit 'cliquey' or something, and might be off-putting to new people joining. Which I hope isn't the case, is all.

No drama here :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

musical.x wrote: »
    i've never known you to swear like that jane! :eek:

I know :eek: shocking stuff *shakes head*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Oh no no no. I don't know about others but that's not what I mean at all!

It's hard to explain. I just worry sometimes that this thread might come across a bit 'cliquey' or something, and might be off-putting to new people joining. Which I hope isn't the case, is all.

No drama here :)

tbh as a newcomer i rarely post but i do read the thread, its like evryone knows each other for ages which is lovely you can see how much ye all care about each other, the reason i dont post as much sometimes is that i dont want to intrude = which i know is ridiculous but I'm like that outside of boards too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

My mother is seriously winding me up today.

Told me I'd need to allow half an hour to get from Connolly Train station to Busáras :rolleyes:

I don't know where she got that from, it does not take half an hour to cross the road.

careymary wrote: »
    tbh as a newcomer i rarely post but i do read the thread, its like evryone knows each other for ages which is lovely you can see how much ye all care about each other, the reason i dont post as much sometimes is that i dont want to intrude = which i know is ridiculous but I'm like that outside of boards too!

Yeah, that's what I meant. I don't want people to feel like that, so post away! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I find the thread pretty "cliquey." It's pretty much the same posters that get responded to a lot, which I guess might make new people feel like they are being ignored?

And it just has become an off topic chat thread, which isn't what it was meant to be. There's a lot of chat back and forth between 2 posters at times which could probably be done in PM. It also kinda bugs me when people ask for advice when they probably should be in another forum, cake or beauty, or could just PM a poster here. Not that big of a deal but kinda clogs up the thread which was meant to be an emotions thread.

I do think we welcome newcomers but I can see how it can be daunting. And I don't think anybody is meaning to exclude people, it just kind of happens that way.

I'm the same. Love/hate with the place! Been posting loads lately just cause I'm lonely :o

• Advertisement

Tbh if this becomes a just state your emotions thread than I won't be hanging round...I liked the relaxed state of chat as it was.

Is it possible to open an Off topic thread than...would that make everyone happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tbh if this becomes a just state your emotions thread than I won't be hanging round...I liked the relaxed state of chat as it was.

Is it possible to open an Off topic thread than...would that make everyone happy?

an off topic thread has been suggested a few times but it was seen as itd be too cliquey, which is kinda what this thread has become, off topic yakking, emotional stuff, support, cake, theres a reason its one of te most popular threads on boards tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There used to be a chat thread which was locked due to being 'too cliquey' - can't win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

bluewolf wrote: »
    i read a book this afternoon
    "shopaholic & sister"
    yes, it's still bluewolf here
    my friend lent it to me

it was ok :confused: wouldnt be reading any more though. vaguely irritating.

I read that a while ago! It was just about the only book belonging to my flatmate that I hadnt tried yet. Was utter tripe. I'm coming round to the idea of some chick-lit (tried Marian Keyes after my post here a couple of weeks ago and liked it, also quite liked a Harriet Evans novel I got free with a magazine) but this was formulaic, patronising sh*te.

I hate the fact that some people think being "quirky" and infantile is the best way to make a female character interesting or engaging. The main character in that was vapid, idiotic and self-obsessed, yet we're meant to be on her side???

Edit: I do not consider Bridget Jones to be chick-lit. Bridget Jones is a comedic masterpiece and I will not hear otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Unless I am missing something maybe that someone could explain to me, this thread does what it says on the tin and I've found a great support/place to unload as I think have others.

What has changed??

+1 I'm a relative newbie here too, kind of oblivious to the big change? :o Maybe another chat thread would be good then if people only wanted this as just an emotions thread? I do see what people mean about it being a little cliquey as there are some regular posters and others more sporadic.. :/

Saying that though as a newish poster here I have posted in good and bad times and always felt like it was somewhere safe for me to post. I have gotten some really great support and advice and honestly I think this thread has helped to keep me in a good head space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I only very recently started posting here, but I've found everyone to be very welcoming. Even my whingy exam-related posts have been kindly addressed. :o

And as someone who enjoys felines and baked goods, I thoroughly enjoy the contributions of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I'm not new but I don't post here as much as others but I don't find the thread cliquey at all and just because certain posters back and forth a lot it wouldn't put me off joining in.

I don't think that some people posting rarely and others posting regularly makes the thread cliquey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I personally love this thread as it is already.

It's a nice relaxed thread and there's a mixture of everything, like another poster, if it became a thread where all you do it state your emotions and there's no chat etc, I can't see myself hanging around.

Like Dolorous said, you can't win, someone will always be unhappy, you can't please everyone.

Well I dunno...all I can think is...if someone doesn't like the topic...bring up a new one. I'm not mad about the beauty chat but I'm also not going to stop people talking about it, I just skim over what I'm not interested in..a bit like real life I suppose, I can't control everyone interests.

Maybe this had all been a something over nothing as for the most part everyone seems happy.

Maybe this had all been a something over nothing as for the most part everyone seems happy.

Yes, I think so.

It's just when people announce that they're leaving the thread/boards, paranoia starts to creep in! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

There used to be this thread, and a chat thread. And the chat thread got closed and it was put in the charter that the forum was for discussing topics and not off-topic chat. But then the emotions thread just became the chat thread.

I don't really mean anything bad by it, just stating that it has changed and people who just liked the emotions thread might not like the chat thread. Guess it just needs to be admitted that this is what it is now.

I'm not a huge fan of chat but I did like to just post what made me smile/frown/sad/cry. So I can understand why some people don't post much anymore.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Head. Nail. On.

:)

We need more Who chat - I ordered a new t-shirt today.

Heading out for dinner tonight with a friend. Food babies here I come! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Here is my new t-shirt

productimage-picture-doctor-5787_800x_.jpg

Heading out for dinner tonight with a friend. Food babies here I come! :D

I'm only having crappy leftover's for dinner :(

Where are you going for dinner so I can life through you.

Im normally not mad about discussing cake too much, and most of the time am not a huge cat fan so I was having a think about why I quite like all the posts on these issues and I think it is to do with 90% of the time someone posts a lolcat or offers to bake cake to cheer up someone or provide them eith emotional support.

It can also act as light relief if I'm having a bad day :)

Das Kitty I liked that t-shirt till I saw the blink statue...couldn't sleep after that episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

happy and relaxed because i had a massage i needed more than i realised! i need to book another one asap

irritated because i told my grandfather twice: i am making pancakes do you want any. are you sure. okay, no pancakes
    go off and make a few small ones for myself
    in arrives my grandmother from the shops trying to take back control with "your grandfather will have maple syrup with his"
    he said he didnt want any so fcuk off
    "actually can i have some" he chimes in
    do you want fcuking pancakes or not! i have no problem making them but when im finished and have only a few small ones for myself is not the time!!

anyway he got his pancake
    i wish she would stop obsessing over being so controlling
    yay for going out tonight

really ought to do some cello this afternoon

and yes, the main character was a complete headfcuk in that book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yes, I think so.

It's just when people announce that they're leaving the thread/boards, paranoia starts to creep in! :o

I actually think it's nothing but attention seeking when people do that. All they have to do is just stop posting.

I think this thread is fine the way it is, wouldn't be a fan if it was just emotions.

Got a voucher to get my nails and hair done off himself. :D He's obviously sick of hearing me winge about both !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Went to collect my car and there were two matches and a dinner on in Bective/Donnybrook and I was completely blocked in :mad:. Was bloody ages waiting for someone to move so I could get out.

On the yay side, I have last night's Walking Dead to watch later, huzzah!

Is it too early for a glass of vino?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement