Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

AGC wrote: »
    I am just going off later editions of some of the papers.

That was posted on their twitter 55 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be very bad news if this went through IMO. You may as well have an open transfer market. Am surprised that most of the Kildare lads here seem all up for it. It seems a fairly transparent move from McGeeney and Kildare to bring in a marquee forward from another county who they feel could get them over the line and into an All-Ireland final.

Seanie Johnstone is a Cavan man and should concentrate on getting back into the Cavan team (who have some very good young players coming through themselves). Granted he doesn't see eye to eye with the current Cavan manager but if every player who had a disagreement with a coach decided he wanted to play for another county there would be mayhem in the GAA. And we all know if you don't like the current coach a new one is usually along soon enough if you're patient.

Tellingly Johnstone isn't proposing a move to Louth, Leitrim, Longford or Fermanagh. Counties all closer to his Cavan home than Kildare is. Obviously he feels they aren't good enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

IMO it's pothunting plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

dcr22B wrote: »
    The pitch and general environs of St Conleth's are an absolute disgrace, it's no wonder that the Kildare GAA are in debt when they provide toilet facilities that are worse than that seen in Trainspotting and you could even see from the TV coverage how poor the pitch was (I do admit that some county grounds are far from perfect at this time of year) but Parnell Park the previous weekend was a massive improvement on it.

Kildare GAA is in debt because of the 3.5 million Centre of Excellence http://kildare.gaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158&Itemid=266 and not because of St Conleths Park.
    Back in the Hay Day (2006) St Conleths was to be sold off for Development and a New stadium was to be built out beside Wyeth Naas side of town http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/sale-of-the-century-118090.html . So Kildare County Boards plan never materialised and we (clubs) are left with a state of the art training ground for the very select few and the dilapidated stadium for supporters and club players.

As for Seanie Johnston if he wants to play for Kildare thats is his choice, but if he is decides to bring an attitude with him, that sort of sh*it3 will be run off him on the plains of the Curragh

lucylu wrote: »
    As for Seanie Johnston if he wants to play for Kildare thats is his choice, but if he is decides to bring an attitude with him, that sort of sh*it3 will be run off him on the plains of the Curragh

Or there again he may never change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 swansong11

kildare will go to any lenght for a bit of success, this is a county who have only won 2 leinsters in the past 60 years and havent won an all ireland since 1928, they tried this lark in the late 90s in an attempt to win something, they got 2 leinsters ok, but no sam, at the end of the day kildare are a minnow of our games when it comes to silverware

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

As for Seanie Johnston if he wants to play for Kildare thats is his choice,

no, its not.

or at least it shouldnt be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

swansong11 wrote: »
    kildare will go to any lenght for a bit of success, this is a county who have only won 2 leinsters in the past 60 years and havent won an all ireland since 1928, they tried this lark in the late 90s in an attempt to win something, they got 2 leinsters ok, but no sam, at the end of the day kildare are a minnow of our games when it comes to silverware
    As were Armagh until the Kernan/McGeeney dream team crushed all before them.

Do you have a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

bruschi wrote: »
    no, its not.

or at least it shouldnt be.

Well the way I see it he lives in Straffan and according to google Maps thats 1 hour 35 mins from Cavan town... Cavan GAA are not going to pay him or any player for his petrol /diesel expenses up and down 3 or 4 nights a week for 7 or 8 months at current prices of €1.57 a litre he should be entitled to chose who he wants to play for may be it Kildare, Meath, Dublin (if he is good enough).

The same principle applies if you live in West Cork and have to travel all the way to Cork City for Training while it maybe more Convenient for you to play for Kerry then transfer to a Kerry club and play for Kerry.

The GAA is not going to put bread on the table and milk in the Fridge for any player. So all this club /county loyalty can go out the windows in this day its every player for themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Well the way I see it he lives in Straffan and according to google Maps thats 1 hour 35 mins from Cavan town... Cavan GAA are not going to pay him or any player for his petrol /diesel expenses up and down 3 or 4 nights a week for 7 or 8 months at current prices of €1.57 a litre he should be entitled to chose who he wants to play for may be it Kildare, Meath, Dublin (if he is good enough).

The same principle applies if you live in West Cork and have to travel all the way to Cork City for Training while it maybe more Convenient for you to play for Kerry then transfer to a Kerry club and play for Kerry.

The GAA is not going to put bread on the table and milk in the Fridge for any player. So all this club /county loyalty can go out the windows in this day its every player for themselves.

he works in Cavan town.

your move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It's very debatable whether he lives in Straffan or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Or there again he may never change!

Who says he needs to change, why is their an assumption that Johnson is the problem, he has played with Cavan Gaels under god knows how many managers and has played with numerous Cavan intercounty managers, none of them have ever had a problem with him.

Im not saying for a second here that Andrews is the problem but surely that is a possibility and assuming that Johnson is a problem is a lazy assumption??
    So all this club /county loyalty can go out the windows in this day its every player for themselves.

Oh great in one sentence you have just wiped out the whole uniqueness and basic foundation of the GAA :rolleyes:

premierstone,

how about reading the previous posts in the thread by the the likes of Lemlin that outline Johnston's attitude before labelling what I said as "a lazy assumption".

premierstone,

how about reading the previous posts in the thread by the the likes of Lemlin that outline Johnston's attitude before labelling what I said as "a lazy assumption".

dcr,

My comment wasnt directed at you personally I was referring to the almost universal assumption that he must be a trouble maker as odd, apologies if you thought I was aiming my comment directly at you.

And I have read the entire thread, and I have read numerous forums and Articles on the matter and veryu little in Johnsons career suggests to me that he has an attitude problem it just seems a clash of personalities between himself and Andrews.

No bother premierstone, knew it wasn't like you to have a cut like that without something to back it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

I can tell you for a fact he does not live in straffan!!! this all came about because he is going out with a girl who is close family friends of McGeeney, she works in Cavan hospital and also lives in Cavan !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

dcr,

My comment wasnt directed at you personally I was referring to the almost universal assumption that he must be a trouble maker as odd, apologies if you thought I was aiming my comment directly at you.

And I have read the entire thread, and I have read numerous forums and Articles on the matter and veryu little in Johnsons career suggests to me that he has an attitude problem it just seems a clash of personalities between himself and Andrews.

I can tell you as somebody who has been around the Cavan setup that he has an attitude problem and nobody that knows him from cavan will disagree, the current panel are not one bit disapointed that hes gone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If this is putting the county I follow and adore into negative mindset let Cavan ****ing keep him!!

The fans have done nothing but support geezer if he drags my counties name down the pan he can **** off too!!

But to those that think Kildare are known for poaching that's unfair to say. I know several of the lily lads 2 forwards in particular and they work their asses off if they were to lose their place to Johnston I don't think it would go down too well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

Lojak wrote: »
    I can tell you as somebody who has been around the Cavan setup that he has an attitude problem and nobody that knows him from cavan will disagree, the current panel are not one bit disapointed that hes gone!!!
    And I'm sure Johnston couldn't give a shite about Cavan now, he will be the one lining out in front of 60,000 people in Croker in the summer while Cavan will be possibly dumped out by then. They certainly won't get in an asses rore of playing in HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭redarmy

swansong11 wrote: »

a minnow of our games??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

RickRoll wrote: »
    And I'm sure Johnston couldn't give a shite about Cavan now, he will be the one lining out in front of 60,000 people in Croker in the summer while Cavan will be possibly dumped out by then. They certainly won't get in an asses rore of playing in HQ.

Seriously whats with the mightier than thou attitude? What gives you the right to be so condescending towards Cavan? I'm sure their players work as hard as Kildares in preparation for their upcoming season. Give it a rest and show a small bit of respect.

Fair enough Lojak, guess my sources must all be from Cavan Gaels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Fair enough Lojak, guess my sources must all be from Cavan Gaels :D
    I know plenty of Gaels lads who will be glad to see the back of him too.

Regardless of Seanies attitude/how he applies himself in Kildare, I can only see this damaging Kildare - Im sure there will be people at his new club unhappy about this blow-in arriving and taking the place of good honest clubmen who have given years of service, lads on county panel wont like the fact that the media/bloggers/posters on message boards think this guy can walk onto the panel without having kicked a ball in Kildare club football, young players in the county will be disappointed that a player from elsewhere is being brought in instead of giving them a shot, he seems to be hyped up by the fans so it is all set up for a let down, every other team in the country will be mad to beat Kildare with Johnston in their ranks.

Maybe it is all a stroke of genius from Geezer who wants the threat of having Johnston available to make the other forwards in the county up their game and he will leave Johnston off the panel as a "Im the boss, I pick who I want and reputations count for nothing" kind of statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I honestly can't decipher who he will replace IF HE MAKES THE CUT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

If Smith doesn't improve it will be him. Although he done well on Sunday.

Kavanagh
    Conway/E O' Flaherty
    Callaghan
    JD
    O' Connor
    Johnston

Not a bad forward line and thats without P O' Neill, Smith, Dowling and Moolick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

If this is putting the county I follow and adore into negative mindset let Cavan ****ing keep him!!

The fans have done nothing but support geezer if he drags my counties name down the pan he can **** off too!!

Fair point there. There is huge danger with a lot of transfers at this level. I would feel local lads will be pretty peed off if they lose out to him.
    Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Regardless of Seanies attitude/how he applies himself in Kildare, I can only see this damaging Kildare - Im sure there will be people at his new club unhappy about this blow-in arriving and taking the place of good honest clubmen who have given years of service, lads on county panel wont like the fact that the media/bloggers/posters on message boards think this guy can walk onto the panel without having kicked a ball in Kildare club football, young players in the county will be disappointed that a player from elsewhere is being brought in instead of giving them a shot, he seems to be hyped up by the fans so it is all set up for a let down, every other team in the country will be mad to beat Kildare with Johnston in their ranks.

I think this could damage Kildare also. Last year I felt it was tactics which let them down. There is great natural ability all through this Kildare panel really exceptional players and a more attack minded approach or mixed game and they would rise further up the rankings and be harder to beat. If I were on the Kildare panel I would be sick to see him come in. Someone will lose out who has put in the miles on the curragh and at training and this could be very dmaging.

Dublin have 3 Hurlers but these lads were not going to be getting a look in with their native counties. Corcoran not on Galway panel, O' Dwyer not getting into the Tipp forward line and O'Brien could not break into Limerick on a regular basis so these lads were probably seen as stepping sideways, none were a big loss to their panels but were a big bonus to Dublin with their ability and experience of intensive club Hurling in their native counties. Like Eoin Brislane in Meath and lads from stronger counties who play for weaker counties under parents rule. Louth have a few lads from Limerick and Kilkenny and Leitrim have a few from Clare so its not uncommon.

But Johnson is different. He was a ray of hope with the good young lads Cavan have coming through and this could do irreprable damage to him among his own people. The fact that he does not see eye to eye with Cavan managment is Bulls**t. You can be pretty sure McGeeney has lads he does not particularly like and players who dont like him and its probably the same in every other county but they get on with things. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Rumour has it Seanie is driving round Straffan in his BMW convertible high fiving Kildare fans....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,378 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who are these so called clowns? all i see is last dedicated to playing for there county!! With comments like this i think there is only one clown about!!!!

Val ?

Would be very bad news if this went through IMO. You may as well have an open transfer market. Am surprised that most of the Kildare lads here seem all up for it. It seems a fairly transparent move from McGeeney and Kildare to bring in a marquee forward from another county who they feel could get them over the line and into an All-Ireland final.

Seanie Johnstone is a Cavan man and should concentrate on getting back into the Cavan team (who have some very good young players coming through themselves). Granted he doesn't see eye to eye with the current Cavan manager but if every player who had a disagreement with a coach decided he wanted to play for another county there would be mayhem in the GAA. And we all know if you don't like the current coach a new one is usually along soon enough if you're patient.

Tellingly Johnstone isn't proposing a move to Louth, Leitrim, Longford or Fermanagh. Counties all closer to his Cavan home than Kildare is. Obviously he feels they aren't good enough for him.

As far as I am aware -

1. Johnston did not approach Kildare.
    2. Kildare did approach him i.e. Mc Geeney.

• Advertisement

Good man Sean.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement