Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think st kevins only train once a week at the moment and if seanie johnson wants to be playing and training for kildare he is going have to be super fit to be even taught of been picked for the team.
    So dont knock the lad if he is training 5 nights a week with what ever team.
    But supposedly it would have been impossible for him to train in Kildare while living in Cavan. Why is it possible for him to train in Cavan while he's supposedly living in Kildare?
    Canvan Gaels are not stopping the tranfer anyways its the county board that is, so he can train all he likes with the gaels to bring himself up to the standard that kildare will be looking for.
    come june time at the start of the championship seanie will be starting his summer holidays so he will be down in kildare in his house 7 nights a week!
    kildare only have 5 more matches before the start of the championship so hopefully we will get to see him in a white jersey by the last game or two with early and lynch also back!!!!
    If he wants to transfer, he should be in "his house" in Kildare 7 nights a week right now. It is blindingly obvious now that he does not live "permanently" in Straffan and as such, the transfer should not be sanctioned. I am extremely surprised that the line the majority of the media are taking is along the lines of "Ah sure he wants to play intercounty football. Fair play to him."
    Cannot understand a lot of Kildare fans in favour of this either. Basically, a Cavan player, who it's doubtful will remain in Kildare long term, will probably take the place of an up and coming genuine Kildare player. I know if he was considering moving to Meath I would not be supporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If he wants to transfer, he should be in "his house" in Kildare 7 nights a week right now.
    Younger players can go to college in dublin or wherever, stay there 5 nights a week and still play for their home club :)

And you are right, there are plenty of people in Kildare who dont want him. However Kildare have a serious scoring problem and if he is good for a couple of points in a game people might change their minds. However, there is not a chance he is going to walk on to the panel. Training for Kildare will be a different animal compared to cavan so he still has a bit of work to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ColHol wrote: »
    Younger players can go to college in dublin or wherever, stay there 5 nights a week and still play for their home club :)

And you are right, there are plenty of people in Kildare who dont want him. However Kildare have a serious scoring problem and if he is good for a couple of points in a game people might change their minds. However, there is not a chance he is going to walk on to the panel. Training for Kildare will be a different animal compared to cavan so he still has a bit of work to do

He'd walk straight onto the panel. McGeeney has clearly designated him a special project and has probably passed on the basics of what work he needs to be doing to be able to be fit enough to make the transition relatively easy. Depending on if and when the transfer goes through expect to see him lining out in challenge matches immediately and in competitive matches not long after. You don't gear up for this sort of high profile addition to have him languishing on the bench or outside the panel for months.

More generally, I could care less if player wants to move to play for another county when they've been cut off in their own, if they've shown they're dedicated enough and bloody-minded enough to make the commitment and satisfy the requirements then I'm not about to sit in my arm-chair and throw moral rocks at a amateur player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Syferus wrote: »
    He'd walk straight onto the panel. McGeeney has clearly designated him a special project and has probably passed on the basics of what work he needs to be doing to be able to be fit enough to make the transition relatively easy. Depending on if and when the transfer goes through expect to see him lining out in challenge matches immediately and in competitive matches not long after. You don't gear up for this sort of high profile addition to have him languishing on the bench or outside the panel for months.

More generally, I could care less if player wants to move to play for another county when they've been cut off in their own, if they've shown they're dedicated enough and bloody-minded enough to make the commitment and satisfy the requirements then I'm not about to sit in my arm-chair and throw moral rocks at a amateur player.
    you know what.. thats a good point, if johnston wants to play inter county and has been pushed out of their own county set up who are we to judge them by any means???

he is an amateur player not a paid professional and should have the right to do as he wishes.

all that stuff bound into gaa laws put intp place decades ago
    needs reviewing imo anyways

ColHol wrote: »
    That is not the same and you know it.
    It doesn't matter if Kildare have problems with their forwards. They should scour Kildare clubs for a solution. They should not resort to poaching players from other counties. We have serious problems in Meath with our midfielders yet we haven't gone searching for players from other counties and if we did I'd be vehemently opposed to it.
    The conduct of the Kildare management in this whole saga (between Johnston and Supple) is very dodgy to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The GAA transfer rules are a joke anyway.
    At present if a guy is dropped or falls out with management his only option is to sit and watch.
    Disgraceful carry on in 2012.

Maybe not make it as free and easy to transfer as other sports but certainly modernise the situation.

It's already unfair on the small counties with volume of players available - this never seems to get mentioned.

In American Football the draft system tries to ensure that every team has their day, or even a chance!
    County boundaries and archaic transfer rules ensure the opposite in the GAA.
    The same big boys turn up most years and the same little boys are never seen at the top table!!

Tradition me hole!

Let the lad play for whoever he wants and is good enough to get a game with!!!

At present if a guy is dropped or falls out with management his only option is to sit and watch.

Maybe not make it as free and easy to transfer as other sports but certainly modernise the situation.

It's already unfair on the small counties with volume of players available - this never seems to get mentioned.

In American Football the draft system tries to ensure that every team has their day, or even a chance!
    The same big boys turn up most years and the same little boys are never seen at the top table!!

Tradition me hole!

So on one hand you say the current system is unfair on smaller counties yet you then say a player should be able to play with whoever he wants and is good enough to get a game with. So that would mean the likes of Mattie Forde, Declan Browne, Dessie Dolan, Tommy Freeman etc. could all move to stronger counties where they would still get a game making so called smaller teams even weaker.

And players are dropped all the time in every sport for falling out with a manager (look at Tevez) or for other reasons not exactly relating to performance. Graham Geraghty was dropped from the Meath panel a few years back in 2007 yet he didn't pout and look to change county and ended up back on the panel in a month or so. In this case, Johnston could have been the bigger man and knuckled down and made Andrews realise he made a mistake in dropping him. Instead he acts like a spoiled child, runs to the papers about his situation yet ignores them when they try to clarify his story and tries to switch to Kildare despite having no allegiance to them whatsoever and despite him still living and (originally) playing club football in Cavan.
    I also have to say that, while I'm encouraged to see some Kildare fans against the transfer, I'm disappointed that a lot seem like they'll welcome him with open arms on the off chance he'll help them get some silverware.

Hammer mate no Kildare fans have a say who plays!!! We follow our county colours with pride so if Johnston is gonna be wearing the lily whites jersey I'll shout my heart out for him too!!

Can I just say all the talk about poaching players pisses me off completely. I know it's wrong for counties to do it but prove it back what your saying up with solid evidence rather than calling Kildare poachers!!

And before anyone mentions that over dramatic Dublin keeper looking for the spotlight don't even bother why would the lilies want him??? He is dublins third choice ffs our keeper is a fine shot stopper I wouldn't wanna change him!!!

I think the Kildare forwards are fast and powerful moving the ball creating loads of chances they just need to pick shooting from better positions or give to someone better positioned they tend to shoot from mad spots altogether!!

I think without Johnston we are still the championships dark horses the shooting is erratic but we play fantastic football IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Hammer mate no Kildare fans have a say who plays!!! We follow our county colours with pride so if Johnston is gonna be wearing the lily whites jersey I'll shout my heart out for him too!!

Can I just say all the talk about poaching players pisses me off completely. I know it's wrong for counties to do it but prove it back what your saying up with solid evidence rather than calling Kildare poachers!!

And before anyone mentions that over dramatic Dublin keeper looking for the spotlight don't even bother why would the lilies want him??? He is dublins third choice ffs our keeper is a fine shot stopper I wouldn't wanna change him!!!

I think the Kildare forwards are fast and powerful moving the ball creating loads of chances they just need to pick shooting from better positions or give to someone better positioned they tend to shoot from mad spots altogether!!

I think without Johnston we are still the championships dark horses the shooting is erratic but we play fantastic football IMO

Your back spouting your BS again. It had been proved Kildare have been approaching players and as I have said its not just them.

You asked for proof and you got it then you disappear for a while and come back with this rubbish of condoning what they are doing.

Also if you think supple wouldn't be an addition it shows how little you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

McGeeney does.

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    Your back spouting your BS again. It had been proved Kildare have been approaching players and as I have said its not just them.

You asked for proof and you got it then you disappear for a while and come back with this rubbish of condoning what they are doing.

Supple is a drama queen soccer keeper, and who are you to question anyone here?

Disappear??? Called having a life and kids son not swanning in and out!!

Btw what proof did I get?? Easy for you to spout about poaching players show me actual evidence of Kildare poaching players or gtfo

Alaska1 wrote: »
    McGeeney does.

And you are??

Involved in Kildare set up to know that for sure Alaska?? I highly doubt it

Supple is a drama queen soccer keeper, and who are you to question anyone here?

Disappear??? Called having a life and kids son not swanning in and out!!

Btw what proof did I get?? Easy for you to spout about poaching players show me actual evidence of Kildare poaching players or gtfo

So you revert to telling me to f**I off, well done.

You know supple do you? Far from a drama queen, one of the nicest and dedicated lads you could meet.

The proof is the newspaper articles which have appeared but you just believe what you want to.

I'll await your next personal insult

You know supple do you? Far from a drama queen, one of the nicest and dedicated lads you could meet.

The proof is the newspaper articles which have appeared but you just believe what you want to.

I did not tell you to feck off!!!

All I know is in general soccer keepers are shot stoppers but can't get up and challenge for a high ball in front of goal they are Molly coddled and protected in soccer while not in our game..

I'm not slating him but it's his word against geezer and you shouldn't believe all you read in papers, supple is third choice looks to me like he wanted some heroic media story about himself!!

Wasn't he a soccer player returning home as things didn't work out for him!!

Way I see it he isn't out shining Cluxton and co maybe a fabricated story would help his cause!!

I did not tell you to feck off!!!

All I know is in general soccer keepers are shot stoppers but can't get up and challenge for a high ball in front of goal they are Molly coddled and protected in soccer while not in our game..

I'm not slating him but it's his word against geezer and you shouldn't believe all you read in papers, supple is third choice looks to me like he wanted some heroic media story about himself!!

Wasn't he a soccer player returning home as things didn't work out for him!!

Way I see it he isn't out shining Cluxton and co maybe a fabricated story would help his cause!!

You obviously haven't seen him play so don't comment on what he might be like

He returned home because he wanted to.

It is agreed by most he is in the top few keepers in the country.he will be Dublins keeper for years to come.he won't oust Cluxton but many believe him to be a good a keeper.

I don't believe everything in the papers but as I have told you before this story is true.why would he want to spread stories when her has no interest in anything but Brigids and Dublin?

I told you what Kildare were doing and this story was in the paper again after me telling you.

Again I am not trying to have a direct attack on Kildare as i'm sure many counties do it but you wanted proof and you got it but can't face up to it

It is agreed by most he is in the top few keepers in the country.he will be Dublins keeper for years to come.he won't oust Cluxton but many believe him to be a good a keeper.

I don't believe everything in the papers but as I have told you before this story is true.why would he want to spread stories when her has no interest in anything but Brigids and Dublin?

I told you what Kildare were doing and this story was in the paper again after me telling you.

Again I am not trying to have a direct attack on Kildare as i'm sure many counties do it but you wanted proof and you got it but can't face up to it
    What proof?? Dublins third choice keeper tells a paper Kildare approached me but I'm loyal to Dublin no matter what ie I'm a hero blah blah blah!!!

That proves nothing sure I got offered the Kildare captaincy last year geezer said I could be captain if he could ride my wife!!!! There's another story for papers!!

There is no concrete evidence against Kildare or geezer you can not say there is because the guy that lives 5 miles down the road says x
    Or Sheila says y happened!!!

It's all talk until you prove with a document geezer approached him or calls recorded meetings recorded etc!!! If anything you are slandering mcgeeneys name or status as a manager

What proof?? Dublins third choice keeper tells a paper Kildare approached me but I'm loyal to Dublin no matter what ie I'm a hero blah blah blah!!!

That proves nothing sure I got offered the Kildare captaincy last year geezer said I could be captain if he could ride my wife!!!! There's another story for papers!!

There is no concrete evidence against Kildare or geezer you can not say there is because the guy that lives 5 miles down the road says x
    Or Sheila says y happened!!!

It's all talk until you prove with a document geezer approached him or calls recorded meetings recorded etc!!! If anything you are slandering mcgeeneys name or status as a manager

Bury your head in the sand a bit more some day it might work.

it had been said to you enough times

Yes I do realise fans can't pick the teams, however they can let it be known that they do not want an outsider taking the place of a homegrown Kildare player which is exactly what will happen if this transfer goes through.
    And I'm sorry, but you're either letting your Kildare bias affect your thinking or you're extremely naive. The fact is, Johnston has absolutely no attachment whatsoever to Kildare so why on Earth would he all of a sudden want to play with them? It's not too hard to put two and two together.
    And also, you seem to reject Supple's account without knowing much about the man. He played for the Ireland Under 21s and had a good chance to make it professionally. He simply didn't enjoy the life as a professional footballer and so he quit and fair play to him. I'd say he'll be Dublin's number one in the not too distant future (after all, he's only 24 at the moment)
    Why, in your opinion, would it benefit Supple to make up this story? It makes zero sense to me. Also, has McGeeney come out to deny anyone from the Kildare set up approached Supple? In my view, McGeeney will be gone from Kildare pretty soon (maybe at the end of the season if he wins no silverware) and he's desperate to leave on a high to enhance his managerial credentials.

I'm also not saying your wrong agc just don't say stuff like that if you can't back it up 100 percent !!!

I'm sure that keeper had no agenda getting media attention either

Can I just say I'm defending Kildare here not geezer!! I personally think he is too conservative as a manager and is more concerned with not losing a game than the team having conviction and winning by a way of playing the game!!

For a long time I have said he hampers smith as in smith is a fine forward have seen him score 11 or 12 points in a game vs leixlip a year or so ago and playing for the county never seems to play like he should!!

Oconnor is a midfielder which last year we took our best forward and put him in midfield and had oconnor in forward line the thinking boggles the mind!!

Am I defensive of mcgeeneys?? NO do I want Johnston to swan in no but I'm not gonna listen to ****e bout my team talk about mcgeeney not Kildare

• Advertisement

Tradition me hole!

So on one hand you say the current system is unfair on smaller counties yet you then say a player should be able to play with whoever he wants and is good enough to get a game with. So that would mean the likes of Mattie Forde, Declan Browne, Dessie Dolan, Tommy Freeman etc. could all move to stronger counties where they would still get a game making so called smaller teams even weaker.

And players are dropped all the time in every sport for falling out with a manager (look at Tevez) or for other reasons not exactly relating to performance. Graham Geraghty was dropped from the Meath panel a few years back in 2007 yet he didn't pout and look to change county and ended up back on the panel in a month or so. In this case, Johnston could have been the bigger man and knuckled down and made Andrews realise he made a mistake in dropping him. Instead he acts like a spoiled child, runs to the papers about his situation yet ignores them when they try to clarify his story and tries to switch to Kildare despite having no allegiance to them whatsoever and despite him still living and (originally) playing club football in Cavan.
    I also have to say that, while I'm encouraged to see some Kildare fans against the transfer, I'm disappointed that a lot seem like they'll welcome him with open arms on the off chance he'll help them get some silverware.

No player should be told he has to sit on the line if there is another team who want him. (in any sport)!!!

No player should be told he has to sit on the line if there is another team who want him. (in any sport)!!!
    In that case, I expect the full Dublin football team's bench to be lining out for the Kilkenny footballers any day now. Surely they'd want all those players and sure all they're doing is sitting on the line.

In that case, I expect the full Dublin football team's bench to be lining out for the Kilkenny footballers any day now. Surely they'd want all those players and sure all they're doing is sitting on the line.

If those Dublin players are unsatisfied with their treatment they should be allowed look elsewhere for a game.

It's a short career they should be allowed make the most of it by PLAYING their sport!!!

You are probably also in favour of locking children into a club for life.
    Even FIFA will allow you change your countrys allegiance up until you play a senior competitive game.

If those Dublin players are unsatisfied with their treatment they should be allowed look elsewhere for a game.

It's a short career they should be allowed make the most of it by PLAYING their sport!!!
    You do know they play for their clubs as well.
    You are probably also in favour of locking children into a club for life.
    Even FIFA will allow you change your countrys allegiance up until you play a senior competitive game.
    Yes they do. If the person has some sort of connection with that country (ie if their parent's/grandparents are of that nationality). They can't just play for any country they wish.
    The GAA are similar. Players can play for their parent's county even if they're not living/playing in that county.
    And people can also change their clubs if they have moved into the area or if they've yet to play senior for another club. Case in point is ex Meath midfielder Nigel Crawford. He played for my home club up to minor/U21 but switched to Dunboyne by playing a senior game for them as he lives on the in no mans land between the two.
    No offence, but you seem to be confused about the workings of the GAA.

You might explain the reasoning behind making young players spend 96 weeks on the line before transfers are sanctioned.

I've seen lads who wanted to transfer to a club closer to their parents house than the club they were playing for, have to spend 96 weeks on the line.

This policy is a joke!!!

You might explain the reasoning behind making young players spend 96 weeks on the line before transfers are sanctioned.

I've seen lads who wanted to transfer to a club closer to their parents house than the club they were playing for, have to spend 96 weeks on the line.

This policy is a joke!!!
    I don't know. Why don't you write to the GAA and ask? I've nothing to do with the GAA's transfer policies.
    Nice job on avoiding my other points though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

This policy is a joke!!!

unless you are specifically talking about a high profile case in Kerry, then I fail to believe that players couldnt get a 'transfer' to a club where they are living.

Can you expand some more on these lads who have had to sit on the line for 96 weeks to transfer to a club closer to their home.

If a player is transferring to a club in which he lives in its parish, then it goes through straight away without needing a 96 week wait.

I know cases in cork city where players have wanted to transfer but were made wait 96 weeks.

I'm thinking of one case in particular where a lad who lived 1 mile from St Finbarrs club was made wait 96 weeks for a transfer from his original club Bishopstown (3 miles from his parents house)
    Not a high profile case, but this type of craic is going on all the time!!!

Would the GAA prefer these lads to feck off and play "foreign sports"???!!!

The gaa policies are extremely dated IMO!!

I'm not saying things would make sense to change 100% but why can't Johnston play for Kildare if he was dropped what other options does he have fight and lose a battle in Cavan or play for Kildare who would be delighted with his services??

• Advertisement

I'm not saying things would make sense to change 100% but why can't Johnston play for Kildare if he was dropped what other options does he have fight and lose a battle in Cavan or play for Kildare who would be delighted with his services??
    He hasn't even tried to "fight a battle in Cavan" so how do you know he would lose? As I said before, he could have put his head down and proven Andrews wrong but instead he ups and leaves to a county he has absolutely no affiliation to.
    And you ask why can't Johnston play for Kildare? I basically think it flies in the face of everything the GAA is about. It's about representing where you come from. If this goes through, what's to stop stronger counties poaching great players (with the ability of Johnston etc.) from weaker counties in the future?
    And would you feel the same you do now if someone like Johnny Doyle or Emmet Bolton switched to Dublin? Because in my view, they would have more of an entitlement to make that move than Johnston does to make this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement