Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding quotes for Nissan Micra timing chain (in Dublin)

Options
  • 13-02-2017 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi all,

My girlfriend's mother's '04 Nissan Micra starting making an awful rattling, ticking noise last week, and I brought it to our local mechanic, who says he thinks it's a link in the timing chain. He doesn't do this job for Nissans and advised me to find a Nissan garage to do the work.

The place we used to bring it to for bigger jobs closed last year, and I've no idea where to ask for quotes. I believe it's quite an expensive job, but an old thread here suggested the quotes vary. Hoping for a cheap quote, but not at the expense of the work. Could anyone give me a suggestion in the Dublin area?

Thanks,
    Pierce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's the K12 Micra
    It's a big job, engine will come out and take a day or so. You'd be looking between 700 and 1000 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

biko wrote: »
    That's the K12 Micra
    It's a big job, engine will come out and take a day or so. You'd be looking between 700 and 1000 for it.

Aye - they are not cheap and 700 - 1000 is about right. In all the years I had my K12, it went through 2 timing chain changes. I think the initial problem is that Nissan shoehorned a crappy low quality renault timing chain in the original 2003 and 2004 K12's. Or where told by their Renault masters to use renault parts wherever possible. When getting it done, ask the garage what sort of service life you can expect from the new chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Consider changing the car , it's getting harder to insure cars over 10 years old even on existing insurance policy renewals, so her money might end up,down the drain come insurance renewal time and you might be sorry for helping then :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It'd probably be much cheaper to source and engine from a breakers yard and fitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

It'd probably be much cheaper to source and engine from a breakers yard and fitting it.

That's the decision I came to when I was going to replace my timing chain (Nissan cube, same engine). And it'll have a new chain and other bits added before it goes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Thanks for the input, all. I had read the price might be in that range, alright. Probably not in a position to buy a new car right now, so 700 might still be preferable if it wasn't pouring money down the drain. Car is relatively low-milage (110k) and not very frequently used, but still useful.

Still have no idea where to bring it, so if anyone could recommend a garage that might come out on the lower end of that estimate I'm all ears.

Bigus wrote: »
    Consider changing the car , it's getting harder to insure cars over 10 years old even on existing insurance policy renewals, so her money might end up,down the drain come insurance renewal time and you might be sorry for helping then :eek:

The insurance is up for renewal right now and unchanged since last year, so I think we're okay on that score.

I am not a car person at all, so unless the garage suggests this (or takes me up on my suggestion?) it sounds unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Where (roughly speaking) in Dublin are you, Op? Would be easier to give a recommendation with a general locality in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Where (roughly speaking) in Dublin are you, Op? Would be easier to give a recommendation with a general locality in mind.

South inner city but happy to bring it a bit further afield...

Advertisement