Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another Ryanair Issue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I find that rarely do they draw attention to the dimensions of the bag or the weight on the outward flight...they always sting you on the return though.

How does the staff on the ground know whether you are taking an outward or return flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Yes it possibly is. There was a piece on the BBC about 2 years ago (Watchdog??) where they showed that the sizer was smaller at the gate than it was at check-in. Was easy jet rather than Ryanair also, iirc.

So if it was Easy Jet what has it got to do with this thread. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

I find that rarely do they draw attention to the dimensions of the bag or the weight on the outward flight...they always sting you on the return though.

Why cant people get it into their head. It is not a sting, rip off or anything else. They have regulations and if you try break them you can expect to pay to consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

Bring a tape measure with you and you'll find they wont let you measure the sizer.

Where do you get your information from? People talk some crap on here.

Last night coming back from the UK I say a guy argue with the staff that his bag should be allowed on.

The staff had gone along all the people in the queue and asked him and others to put the bag in the basket to check the size. It came no where close to fitting so he pulls out a printout from the Ryanair website with the dimensions on it and a tape measure. He told them they were wrong and started to measure it.

The basket was as the correct size so then he still argued that he should be allowed on as he had brought it from Ireland and it was allowed. They told him it had to go in the hold and he refused. They gave him 2 options. Check in the bag or not fly as there was no way the bag would fit even if it was empty.

He didn’t fly. I was at the top of the queue but as we were boarding I think they called the police.

The staff had gone along all the people in the queue and asked him and others to put the bag in the basket to check the size. It came no where close to fitting so he pulls out a printout from the Ryanair website with the dimensions on it and a tape measure. He told them they were wrong and started to measure it.

The basket was as the correct size so then he still argued that he should be allowed on as he had brought it from Ireland and it was allowed. They told him it had to go in the hold and he refused. They gave him 2 options. Check in the bag or not fly as there was no way the bag would fit even if it was empty.

He didn’t fly. I was at the top of the queue but as we were boarding I think they called the police. If they did it was a good call.

You can say that again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

bigjohn66 wrote: »
    Where do you get your information from? People talk some crap on here.

Last night coming back from the UK I say a guy argue with the staff that his bag should be allowed on.

He didn’t fly. I was at the top of the queue but as we were boarding I think they called the police.

He didn’t fly. I was at the top of the queue but as we were boarding I think they called the police. If they did it was a good call.

Admit it now. You just made that one up. They never go along ALL of the queue either, ever. They pick several people only. And its a box or the static metal sizer at the top of the check-in that they use. They dont use a basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Admit it now. You just made that one up. They never go along ALL of the queue either, ever. They pick several people only. And its a box or the static metal sizer at the top of the check-in that they use. They dont use a basket.

How do they pick out random people if they don't walk along all the Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

they were charged €40 each because their hand luggage did not fit into a measuring frame. ..
    In simple terms, another Ryanair rip off.

If anything RyanAir should be more vigilant and enforce this More - I hate getting on a full flight and finding nowhere to store my luggage because the overhead bins are full of unfairly obviously oversized bags. There is only so much room available to each person for their carry on luggage.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

Admit it now. You just made that one up.

First I don’t like your tone, second I don’t appreciate you calling ma a liar.
    They never go along ALL of the queue either, ever.
    Yes they do. They walk along ALL the queue and look, almost always, once they start. What do you think they do stop half way and expect the rest of the people to have the correct bags?
    They pick several people only.
    Exactly as I said. Read my post..
    And its a box or the static metal sizer at the top of the check-in that they use. They dont use a basket.
    They had no box. One person walked along looking at all the bags (and as I said if you read my post) asked him and others to put the bag in the basket.
    the static metal sizer at the top of the check-in that they use. They dont use a basket.
    Do an internet search for Ryanair Basket and you will see we are talking about the same thing. It is regularly called the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

In fairness in Eindhoven Airport, everytime i've been there they've checked EVERYONE for baggage weight.

Rarely for size though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

Though Ryanair are normally thought of as the cheapest, I have noticed that Aer Lingus can be cheaper for last minute travelling. I'm talking really last minute here. I once had to book a flight for travel the same day. Aer Lingus were about £200. Ryanair were £250. Also, BMI can be very cheap for Dublin-London - always worth a look.

I've been stung for Ryanair charges so many times now, that I tend to factor £40/€40 into the price in my head and on that basis, most other airlines beat it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Thats a risk you take with any Airline when you book accomodation seperately.
    Options are to take out travel insurance or book through a IATA Bonded travel agent.

I have seen ryanair make the same provisions for families also.
    Recently on a flight back to Ireland they had reserved a row for an overweight woman and her epileptic child.

You can overcome the seating problem by paying for the priority boarding.

Ya but that would be far too easy and plus people paying money for something :rolleyes:

Though Ryanair are normally thought of as the cheapest, I have noticed that Aer Lingus can be cheaper for last minute travelling. I'm talking really last minute here. I once had to book a flight for travel the same day. Aer Lingus were about £200. Ryanair were £250. Also, BMI can be very cheap for Dublin-London - always worth a look.

I've been stung for Ryanair charges so many times now, that I tend to factor £40/€40 into the price in my head and on that basis, most other airlines beat it.

I never thought they were the cheapest, they are 'usually' the cheapest. But i'll take the entire journey into account, not just the flight.

E.G. Why travel to an Airport in the middle of nowhere (Brussels Charleroi) to save 100 euros that you'l spend on trains, buses and inconvenience anyway :)

Where does this "Airport in the middle of nowhere" thing come from???

Dublin, Cork, Stanstead, Luton, Paris CDG, Bratislava, Madrid, Lisbon, to name a couple off the top of my head. Does it stem from bitterness because they are not in every single major city or is it just another unfounded claim by those with a hatred for them?

syklops wrote: »
    Where does this "Airport in the middle of nowhere" thing come from???

Dublin, Cork, Stanstead, Luton, Paris CDG, Bratislava, Madrid, Lisbon, to name a couple off the top of my head. Does it stem from bitterness because they are not in every single major city or is it just another unfounded claim by those with a hatred for them?

Brussels (Charleroi) 1 hour driving
    Duesseldorf (Weeze) 1hour 15 minutes driving (takes around 2 1/2 hours by Public Transport
    Frankfurt (Hahn)
    Oslo (Torp)
    Stockholm (Stavska)
    Milan (Bergamo)
    Barcelona (Girona) around 2 hrs by bus

I don't have a hatred for Ryanair, I'll use any Airline for a short haul flight. But sometimes I see people 'saving' money for example flying to Weeze and then having to pay 16 euros each way per person just to get to Dusseldorf when the Aerlingus Flight directly to Dusseldorf would have been cheaper and have saved them 2 1/2 hours each way.

Or flying to Eindhoven to get 'cheap' flights when they really want to go to Amsterdam, paying another 40 euros for the train+bus when the Air Lingus flight would only set them back and extra 40 euros per person anyway.

And this is with knowing the options, the amount of times i've met Irish/English people standing outside the Airport asking where the bus to X City is unreal :)

When I travel back to Ireland I don't give a sh*t where I fly to, the country is so small and car rental is so cheap you can fly into Dublin or Cork and its pretty much the same difference in my case anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

When I fly, its anyone except RA.
    My last flight with them was when we were on honeymoon to the canaries. I had the flight and hotel booked and then they decided to cancel all flights for the summer because the local airport wouldn't capitulate to MOL's demands

We fly with a baby to europe a few times a year and choose AL who always give us the full row to make life easier.

it so nice using a service where the staff know what good customer service is.
    Ryanair is not for people going on honeymoons or carting around babies, it is for frequent travellers who want simple, quick, cheap, no frills, no hassle travel with no luggage.

Ryanairs problem is the clap-on-landing brigade who book flights with them and expect their once a year flight experience to be like flying Concorde in the 1970s

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Brussels (Charleroi) 1 hour driving
    Duesseldorf (Weeze) 1hour 15 minutes driving (takes around 2 1/2 hours by Public Transport
    Frankfurt (Hahn)
    Oslo (Torp)
    Stockholm (Stavska)
    Milan (Bergamo)

For the last 2 years they've been flying to Barcelona airport, same as all the other major airlines

APM wrote: »
    For the last 2 years they've been flying to Barcelona airport, same as all the other major airlines

Not from here, even then the closest Airport they fly from is Duesseldorf (Weeze)

Handy if your in Dublin I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Yeah they tend to only do this on one leg of the flight meaning you're more likely to fall foul of it I suppose. At Christmas they really go all out and check on both legs

The hand luggage size test is not unique to Ryanair but they're definitely more vigorous in their enforcement of it.
    What I find annoying is that the little basket thing is not a reflection of an overhead locker. Why not have an overhead locker bin ? Then you can know with absolute certainty that the bag will fit.

In terms of being allowed time to re-pack your bag so that it will fit as a few people have suggested.. they've obviously never witnessed
    the harassing and harranging the ground staff subject people to when they're trying to put the bag in the basket. Its particularly horrible to see in the case of an older person or someone who's obviously not used to flying
    I don't think they deserve the levels of hostility shown by Ryanair employees and indirectly some people on here.

Laneyh wrote: »
    Why not have an overhead locker bin ? Then you can know with absolute certainty that the bag will fit.

The overhead locker bin is for 3 people (Seats) 3.

3 bags within the Ryanair dimensions easily fit into the Overhead locker including Jackets and so on.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-1692166/How-to-avoid-baggage-charge-rip-offs.html

The weight thing is partially fuel saving and also part of reducing the boarding time.

Have seen similar checks on Flybe, Wizzair and Easyjet, although easyjet was dimensions only since they have no weight restriction.

• Advertisement

Not from here, even then the closest Airport they fly from is Duesseldorf (Weeze)

Handy if your in Dublin I guess.

I think your missing your own point. You said they don't use big airports.
    I was correcting you saying they flew to Girona instead of Barcelona.

APM wrote: »
    I think your missing your own point. You said they don't use big airports.
    I was correcting you saying they flew to Girona instead of Barcelona.

No, I think your missing the point, I said:
    I never thought they were the cheapest, they are 'usually' the cheapest. But i'll take the entire journey into account, not just the flight.

E.G. Why travel to an Airport in the middle of nowhere (Brussels Charleroi) to save 100 euros that you'l spend on trains, buses and inconvenience anyway

I.E. While it looks the cheapest to people, in allot of cases its not just the cost of the flight.

Someone else queried what Airports are in the middle of nowhere, i merely pointed that out.

The overhead locker bin is for 3 people (Seats) 3.

3 bags within the Ryanair dimensions easily fit into the Overhead locker including Jackets and so on.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-1692166/How-to-avoid-baggage-charge-rip-offs.html

The weight thing is partially fuel saving and also part of reducing the boarding time.

Have seen similar checks on Flybe, Wizzair and Easyjet, although easyjet was dimensions only since they have no weight restriction.

Thanks. Yeah I've not seen them weighing the bags very often.. its mostly the dimensions. however you have to put the bag in vertically rather than horizontally whereas on board you'll be placing it horizontally so I still think an overhead bin or 1/3 of an overhead bin would help people see that the bag was too big.

Either way when flying with a low fare airline it pays to familarise yourself with their terms and conditions and as far as possible prempt any potential additional charges

you will know next time to keep the bag allowance to what is specified, clearly.

did they not think of putting ithe bag nto the blue holder in before if was checked, to see what they could take out?

its not a scam, its called taking money off idiots.

That's a bit harsh. As they were flying to visit a sick relative .. measuring their bags was probably not high on their mind

Though of course you are correct .. its not a scam

Laneyh wrote: »
    Thanks. Yeah I've not seen them weighing the bags very often.. its mostly the dimensions. however you have to put the bag in vertically rather than horizontally whereas on board you'll be placing it horizontally so I still think an overhead bin or 1/3 of an overhead bin would help people see that the bag was too big.

If you turn the baggage measuring thing on its side that makes it horizontal :D

Speaking as a person who is usually defending them, I am in the middle of trying to book and I have to say their website is really annoying, having to re-enter your details all the time. Then you are extra careful and make sure everything is correct and the session times out and you have to start again.

Very irritating.

syklops wrote: »
    Speaking as a person who is usually defending them, I am in the middle of trying to book and I have to say their website is really annoying, having to re-enter your details all the time. Then you are extra careful and make sure everything is correct and the session times out and you have to start again.

Very irritating.

I have massive problems when booking in work, think its something to do with the proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No, I think your missing the point, I said:

I.E. While it looks the cheapest to people, in allot of cases its not just the cost of the flight.

Someone else queried what Airports are in the middle of nowhere, i merely pointed that out.

It's good to see the Germans making good use of those old RAF/USAF Nato airfields.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lc180

Public Transport
    Frankfurt (Hahn)
    Oslo (Torp)
    Stockholm (Stavska)
    Milan (Bergamo)

Bit of an exaggeration here in fairness. Been to two of these in the last year and they were no way around 2 hours. Barcelona(Girona) was 1hr 15 tops and Milan(Bergamo) was even less than that.

I'm flying into Stockholm(Stavska) next month and from what I have read its less than an hour and a half.

Still a bit out in the sticks but definitely not a 2 hour trek to the city.

• Advertisement

what about Rome Ciampino which is actually closer to Rome than FCO Airport which Aer Lingus fly into?

Advertisement