Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

nesf wrote: »
    Had a few hours of feeling really good* last night. T'was nice. :)

*Not really good for any bipolar people reading this. ;)

I'm not sure if you intended it but I got a proper laugh out of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Aoifums wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you intended it but I got a proper laugh out of that :D

The bipolar part? Yeah, that was intended to amuse people familiar with the illness. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Parents and doctor think I should take another year out before going to college again. Dunno how I feel about this tbh.

Parents and doctor think I should take another year out before going to college again. Dunno how I feel about this tbh.

It's not a bad idea to get your head sorted before heading back to the stress of college. It's really something you need to make the most of, scraping a lower mark because you were depressed/anxious/whatever is a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

What's the alternative? No matter how hard I find college sometimes, having to get up out of bed and getting my game face on is better than sitting around the house. At the very least, it forces a slightly better sleep pattern to form. Then again, it's pretty damn stressful at times. Assignments, exams and the social side of stuff all build up. It's all up to how well you think you can handle it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

jammstarr wrote: »
    I was mortified to say the least.
    Don't feel too bad about it. I'd say they see it every single day! I'm a b1tch for crying during therapy sessions though :o
    College can be very stressful, to say the least. I took time off during my course when I was very sick and I found it helped a lot, because I didn't have to worry about assignments and reading on top of everything else (the fact I wasn't able to concentrate at all also helped :p). You still have a while to go yet (you're doing LC this year I assume?), so apply for the course you want, and see how you are when the time comes. If you think you're ready for it, go ahead! Make sure and get in touch with the disability office and other supports in college too when you go, because they are unbelievably helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

As others have said already it might not be a bad idea at all to take the time to get yourself well. I flunked out of college TWICE due to this. College won't be going anywhere and you'll get the absolute best experience of it when you're better :)

If you're worried about being older than the rest of the class when you do get there take heart in the fact that thanks to the way the country has gone there'll be people of all ages starting with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Pieta house this morning. Very nice lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

cloud493 wrote: »
    Pieta house this morning. Very nice lady.

how did you get on?

Thanks guys. I dropped out in 2009 when things started to get bad, and I really came along last year in terms of getting better. Things are starting to slip a bit at the moment and I think theyre just afraid that history'll repeat itself. I'm doing the LC again though so it might just be stress related. I'll have a think about it over the summer and see if there's any improvement. I don't mind the age thing, I won't be that much older if I end up taking a year out (I'll be 22 but really not bothered).

The alternative.. I don't know. If I do decide to take a year out, it'll obviously be to focus on getting as well as I can. Doctor recommend going back to Pieta as well as staying where I am in psychotherapy at the moment, but I'm afraid that not being involved in something full time will result in another total crash. It's like I have to keep moving and thinking and doing constantly or else I do nothing. I could make plans to join clubs or take up hobbies or whatever but to be honest, if it comes to the point where I'm not able for college I don't think I'll be able for much else either.

I hadn't even considered taking time out until it was mentioned - I know I've been having a little rough patch ATM but it's been suggested that I'm understating just how 'little' it is since it's apparently blindingly obvious to my family and doctor. Anyway. I still have exams ahead of me so I'm just going to focus on them for now and deal with the rest when the time comes.

• Advertisement

how did you get on?

The lady was very patient. Cos I kinda just exploded when I got into the room, and told her things I didn't mean to. But, unhelpful.

The lady was very patient. Cos I kinda just exploded when I got into the room, and told her things I didn't mean to. But, unhelpful.

patient, but unhelpful? how was she unhelpful?

patient, but unhelpful? how was she unhelpful?

Like, she didn't say hardly anything. It was just venting. Which is fine. But I could vent to myself. Or someone else. Or she said was 'oh dear, how did you do that' when I showed her the wound, and 'how do you feel about that'

Like, she didn't say hardly anything. It was just venting. Which is fine. But I could vent to myself. Or someone else. Or she said was 'oh dear, how did you do that' when I showed her the wound, and 'how do you feel about that'

I know what you mean. though lots of people do just want to vent so maybe that's what she thought you needed. how did it end? have you another appointment?

I know what you mean. though lots of people do just want to vent so maybe that's what she thought you needed. how did it end? have you another appointment?

Yep, same time, same place. Need to find somewhere closer than Lucan, its a pain to get to. And she was nice. I just felt like I was burdening her with my ****, but I couldn't stop :(

Yep, same time, same place. Need to find somewhere closer than Lucan, its a pain to get to. And she was nice. I just felt like I was burdening her with my ****, but I couldn't stop :(

why did you feel you were burdening her?

why did you feel you were burdening her?

Cos I was talking to her. And my **** doesn't really matter, cos I don't matter, and she could be talking to people who deserve help, not some stupid sex toy loser who hurts himself cos he's stupid and has a stupid english accent.

I wonder do you believe that's what any counsellor would think of you. you should try say all that next time you talk to her/somebody. confront her about it. not specifically her, but get it out there that that's the way you feel about it.

I did :( its part of what I said to her. Told her she wasting her time talking to an idiot like me and she should **** off and talk to someone better.

I did :( its part of what I said to her. Told her she wasting her time talking to an idiot like me and she should **** off and talk to someone better.

and what did she say to that?

• Advertisement

and what did she say to that?

She said 'its ok to feel like that matthew' then waited for me to keep talking.

She said 'its ok to feel like that matthew' then waited for me to keep talking.

right, well it would seem you need to get to see someone else. i don't know the difference between psychotherapist / psychologist / counsellor etc, but i'm guessing their approaches and how they deal with things are different. you need someone to engage you on what you're feeling and work through it, rather than nodding along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Michelle K

Hey Guys,

I am in my mid 20's and have been feeling down for quite some time. Growing up was very difficult as my father suffered from Bi Polar and never really admitted to it hence never getting help. My Childhood was difficult but who's wasnt? As i went through college the last year got very very bad, couldnt handle it as I faced horrible events throughout. I did go to the counsellor and after many meetings she suggested writing a diary about my feelings. (I felt like such a twat...) Anyway it didnt suit me so I stopped. I never went back because she said the next step was going to see the doctor to be put on anti-depressents.
    Now, things are getting really bad again and I am taking it out of the nearest people around me. It doesnt help either that I hate the way I look and when I eat I regret everything and become self conscious thinking about what I just have eat. I really need your guys advice because I dont know what to do?
    I am afraid to go to the doctors because I dont want to go on anti depressents because I feel like I will be defeated and such a failure as a person :(

Would really like peoples advice....

I found psychotherapy to be much more engaging then just a regular counsellor, maybe you could try get a referral to see one cloud? You do still have to talk a lot, but the psychotherapist tends to ask a lot more questions and say what they thought.

Michelle K wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I am in my mid 20's and have been feeling down for quite some time. Growing up was very difficult as my father suffered from Bi Polar and never really admitted to it hence never getting help. My Childhood was difficult but who's wasnt? As i went through college the last year got very very bad, couldnt handle it as I faced horrible events throughout. I did go to the counsellor and after many meetings she suggested writing a diary about my feelings. (I felt like such a twat...) Anyway it didnt suit me so I stopped. I never went back because she said the next step was going to see the doctor to be put on anti-depressents.
    Now, things are getting really bad again and I am taking it out of the nearest people around me. It doesnt help either that I hate the way I look and when I eat I regret everything and become self conscious thinking about what I just have eat. I really need your guys advice because I dont know what to do?
    I am afraid to go to the doctors because I dont want to go on anti depressents because I feel like I will be defeated and such a failure as a person :(

Would really like peoples advice....

The bit you mention about looks and food is the exact same for me, so I kinda know how you feel. Don't be afraid of going to the doctor, if you don't want to go on anti-depressants they can't make you. Although, there is no shame in going on them for a while to feel a bit better. The amount of people I know who have been on them at some stage or another in their lives is unreal. There's lots of different types of things that you can try to help you feel better too, exercise being a big one as it releases endorphins which lift mood.

I think making an appointment to see your doctor and have a chat about how you're feeling would be a good idea. Just say exactly what you've said here and you will be okay :) This thread is a great place for venting too if you need too along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fitz265

i hear where ur comming from lad im the same convinved tis caz of the country were living in i love this country but as a twenty year old father with no work and the government making tings harder and harder year after year budget after budget its hard to blame people for being deprest but its up to ourselves either grin and bare it or smile and repair it caz this country leaders certainly aint showing any signs of helping us all there woried about is paying back that 80 and more billion euro loan they got that whe citizans had no choice in

how did you get on?

Call them tomorrow and ask to be seen by someone else. If there's no connection between you and her then it'd be a waste of time to go back to her. I can pm you the name of the woman I saw there, who was absolutely incredible, if you want.

You said you exploded into the room, obviously (correct me if I'm wrong) an impulsive thing rather than a purpose sign of aggression. Maybe try and calm down a bit before you go in. One thing I learned there was how to phrase negatives differently- forgive me but I can't remember the exact words you used - instead of saying 'I'm x y z' 'I'm wasting your time' or whatever, say something like 'I feel like I'm x y z and I feel like I'm wasting your time'. Rather than being defiant as you previously were, it should allow a conversation to flow from that.

Call them tomorrow and ask to be seen by someone else. If there's no connection between you and her then it'd be a waste of time to go back to her. I can pm you the name of the woman I saw there, who was absolutely incredible, if you want.

You said you exploded into the room, obviously (correct me if I'm wrong) an impulsive thing rather than a purpose sign of aggression. Maybe try and calm down a bit before you go in. One thing I learned there was how to phrase negatives differently- forgive me but I can't remember the exact words you used - instead of saying 'I'm x y z' 'I'm wasting your time' or whatever, say something like 'I feel like I'm x y z and I feel like I'm wasting your time'. Rather than being defiant as you previously were, it should allow a conversation to flow from that.

Oh yeah, it wasn't aggressive. Normally, when I go in, I... what's the word. measure my responses, if that makes sense. but today, I was tired, and down, and when you she asked 'how have you been?' I just started talking and didn't stop hardly at all for an hour.

Night could have gone better. Anxious, too many people in the pub, my Akathisia started up again after being gone for 3 months. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Stayed in last night watching mindless drivel on tv. Feeling ok so far today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement