Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

D Trent wrote: »
    kunt
    rat
    Less of this please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

m17 wrote: »
    M17 /m18 will open in Dec 17

Apart from wishful thinking do you have anything to support this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Apart from wishful thinking do you have anything to support this?

It's on Irish motorways web site

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's on Irish motorways web site

Which is a member on here working off best available public data; not the NRA or the construction firm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

L1011 wrote: »
    Which is a member on here working off best available public data; not the NRA or the construction firm.
    If you mean my site, I have it down as Feb 2018. But that's just a guess based on the start date and past form.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

spacetweek wrote: »
    If you mean my site, I have it down as Feb 2018. But that's just a guess based on the start date and past form.

That your site? Excellent - get it back up!

Error: it is still up...misread your post.....

Mahangh corofin pic1 17/01/15 pic2 13/09/15

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Looks like they are about to start with the bridge supports on the Dublin bound side of M6 at Rathmorissey. Photos to follow when they do.

Rathmorrisy on a dark evening the have started on the m17

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Rathmorrisy on a dark evening the have started on the m17

Thats funny, I took almost exactly the same picture on the way home tonight :)

• Advertisement

Ballinphuil corofin pic 1 20/01/15 before ripping and blasting pic 2 13/09/15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The underpass at corofin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

David McWilliams looks well in this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Judging by the progress on the pictures I think it's fair to say this should open by the end of 2017 if not sooner. Although it's quite a big scheme 56km is a lot of motorway.

What's happening around tuam very quite over the past few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

All the workers gone back to school.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Pile driving in bog

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

red bull wrote: »
    Pile driving in bog

Don't think it's piling, it's stucking the bog water out, the stoned bog area will then be left to settle for 12months before anymore fill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Don't think it's piling, it's stucking the bog water out, the stoned bog area will then be left to settle for 12months before anymore fill

You may be right, I heard that the bog must be let settle for a period before anymore work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Ya, its called sur-charging, its common enough on soft ground, prevents the road/final surface from settling when the traffic goes on it. If its very soft they might still pile a section of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Does anyone else think that the projected finish date is a bit generous? 3 years in total.

Galway - Ballinasloe took 2 years. Same distance plus a crossing of the suck and toll booths etc to get done - and the surface is the finest in the country IMO.

guylikeme wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the projected finish date is a bit generous? 3 years in total.

Galway - Ballinasloe took 2 years. Same distance plus a crossing of the suck and toll booths etc to get done - and the surface is the finest in the country IMO.
    Well just up thread there is a discussion about making good bog ground, that takes a long time, so with that in mind I'm guessing the timescale is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

When they built the Limerick Neenagh section of the M7 they went through two section of bog which they were warned by locals to stay out of. A few months before it was meant to open an entire section of the nearly complete motorway broke off, I kid you not http://www.irishtimes.com/news/part-of-motorway-which-sank-into-bog-to-open-in-october-1.644674

Took them a very long time and a lot of expense to fix it in the end.

There is a great thread here on boards about it and a lot of great pictures. They ended up digging up a few KM of the motorway and sinking huge piles and then laying a concrete cap before they could rebuild the motorway on top

Do not underestimate bogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

nowecant wrote: »
    When they built the Limerick Neenagh section of the M7 they went through two section of bog which they were warned by locals to stay out of. A few months before it was meant to open an entire section of the nearly complete motorway broke off, I kid you not http://www.irishtimes.com/news/part-of-motorway-which-sank-into-bog-to-open-in-october-1.644674

Took them a very long time and a lot of expense to fix it in the end.

There is a great thread here on boards about it and a lot of great pictures. They ended up digging up a few KM of the motorway and sinking huge piles and then laying a concrete cap before they could rebuild the motorway on top

Do not underestimate bogs!

I worked on that job so let me explain what actually happened. When the initial site investigation was being carried out the company carrying out the survey found the depth of solid material to be approx 9 to 11 metres deep. they came to a section of bog which was very soft at Drominboy so they decided to come at it from the other side. Again the depth came in around the 9 to 11 metres to hit solid material until it got too soft to continue. They assumed it was the same all the way through to where they stopped previously coming from the other direction. Assumption being the mother of all fcuk ups, the bog ended up being bowl shaped with depths of over 20 metres being recorded when piling.The piles that they made on site were to slim/slender and when the piles were driven in the soft area they basically buckled under the weight of the new road and so start to sink. So a massive concrete slab was poured over the whole area to spread the load of the road hence the photos on the other thread.
    When they were making the haul road, 18 Volvo A40 dumptrucks hauled rock solid for a day and made 20 metre long of a road, all the bog was pushed up either side knocking over trees and making a wall of bog both sides!!
    Bogs indeed cannot be trusted!

Annagh hill this morning

Beam lift starting at mahangh bridge corofin next Tuesday 29/09/15 for 2days

Speed van now at rathmorrisy speed limit 60 kms

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Czhornet wrote: »
    Ya, its called sur-charging, its common enough on soft ground, prevents the road/final surface from settling when the traffic goes on it. If its very soft they might still pile a section of it.

Thers no pile driving, what they are doing is vertical drainage to varying debths 9.5 metres currently, when this is complete two layers of rock will be placed and then it will be allowed to settle for some months, movement will be monitored and based on this the next stage will progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Speed van now at rathmorrisy speed limit 60 kms

Expect him there everyday

He was there westbound yesterday 6pm

Advertisement