Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google accounts ans IMEI numbers

• 18-08-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I've recently lost my phone and I've been trying to work out if theres a way to know what happened to it. I know that it's not impossible for IMEI numbers to be cloned but its unlikely that an Irish phone would have that done I think.

I've blacklisted the IMEI so no Irish network will register the phone to use their service. I've reported it stolen/lost to the Garda who have a record of the IMEI number if it ever turns up.

I know you can use Location Services to see where the phone was when it was last connected to the internet with location services turned on. My phones a Samsung and I set up the findmymobile feature whichber registered to hasn't picked up anything since the phone went missing.

The only way of knowing if the phone is being used by someone else, as far as I can gather, is if it has had its IMEI number registered to another Google account.

Has anyone ever thought to investigate this for themselves? Do you think it would be possible to find out if an IMEI number has been registered to another account? Especially since I've reported it to the Garda?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I don't think Google would give away that information unless a court forced them to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I don't think Google would give away that information unless a court forced them to be honest

I was thinking the same. It should be available though. There are obviously use cases where it would benefit someone like me, who is trying to track down their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Check your gmail. At the bottom right it gives the IP address of anyone who's logged in with it. Sometimes this can mean that they just synced, as opposed to reading your emails.

Either way, check the IPs there. Something might come up.

Advertisement