Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

• 05-08-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭

What with Conor being on this card, the recent scuffles at the presser and the general epicness of this card, there are posts about it all over the place so I thought I'd go ahead and start the specific thread a bit earlier than usual.

Light Heavyweight - Jon Jones (c) vs Daniel Cormier

Bantamweight - Dominick Cruz vs Takeya Mizugaki

Middleweight - Tim Kennedy vs Yoel Romero

Women's Bantamweight - Cat Zingano vs. Amanda Nunes

Featherweight - Dustin Poirier vs Conor McGregor

Welterweight - John Howard vs Brian Ebersole

Welterweight - Patrick Côté vs Stephen Thompson

Lightweight - Jon Tuck vs Kevin Lee

Lightweight - Bobby Green vs Jorge Masvidal

Bantamweight - Manvel Gamburyan vs Cody Gibson

Lots of speculation that McGregor vs Poirier may be the co-main event although I don't think it's confirmed, although given that they were the ones getting the press conference the other day along with Jones and Cormier I wouldn't be surprised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jones and DC to be suspended, Conor Dustin to be moved to main event, Dustin pulls out with 'injury', Dana sticks Cub in there and makes it a title eliminator fight to keep the card interesting, Conor becomes FW champ before New Years. #Visions :cool:

Looking forward to Cat's return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Conor as co-main hasn't been confirmed. However him doing his press pictures right before Jones and DC must be a good indication he probably is. Which would be incredible in my opinion given Dominick Cruz is back fighting on this card.

There were also rumours circulating that Eddie Alvarez was going to sign and end up on this card against Donald Cerrone. That would be another co-main contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If the title fight gets pulled by the NSAC, I can see Dillashaw / Barao II being moved or Rousey taking the main event slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

unknown13 wrote: »
    If the title fight gets pulled by the NSAC, I can see Dillashaw / Barao II being moved or Rousey taking the main event slot.

There is no way they would move that fight. Can't see Ronda being put in there either. I would be pretty surprised if the fight doesn't go ahead as planned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

unknown13 wrote: »

No chance of that Bantamweight title fight moving from UFC177 it is held up big time by that main event, it's removal would lead the event to possible cancellation its card is not as stacked as 178 currently is and that's even with the addition of the second title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Live Q&A with Jones, Cormier, Conor and Poirier starting any second now

They just announced Conor/Poirier as the co-main

The way they're doing the press that seems exactly the way it's going down.

Oh, and Conor has just promised another first round KO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

BJPenn.com has it titled as the co-main event also. Saw it on Facebook but now can't see a link on his site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Would that make it a 5 rounder?

CM24 wrote: »
    Would that make it a 5 rounder?

No. Only title fights and mains are 5 rounds.

Ps,
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/as-jones-and-cormier-calm-conor-mcgregor-turns-up-the-heat-predicts-first-round-ko/

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Jones is some troll!

He's better than chael sonnen at trolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Dermighty wrote: »
    Jones is some troll!

He's better than chael sonnen at trolling!

That whole Q&A was hilarious! Gotta love Jones embracing his villainous side, he was having great craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Davei141 wrote: »
    That whole Q&A was hilarious! Gotta love Jones embracing his villainous side, he was having great craic.

Yeah, he showed that he actually does have a funny personality.

I wish conor would relax a bit more sometimes and just answer normally, and not always feel he has to keep up the arrogant character.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I agree with DC when he said Jones is 'an absolute d1ck and a$$hole'. Not fighter bashing, just 100% agree with DC :pac:

There was great banter between Jones and DC throughout and Conor was itching for it as well but Dustin just isn't the type. Like the infamous Cole interview, I was shouting for him to respond. Conor kept calling him a Pea Headed Hillybilly from the arsehole of no where with a cousin called Cletus :pac::pac::pac: and Dustin had no intention of getting into a slagging match. I dunno if there is anyone in the FW who would give Conor and the back and forth slagging he's looking for.

Was a great Q&A but felt absolutely lousey for Sholler. Thought it was nice out of Jones to bring him out, I thought to apologise, but to end up saying he should just do staredowns with wimmin but they'd probably still put him through the backdrop.

Never liked/disliked DC but I'm a fan after that Q&A. His impersonation of Jones on the FOX interview was spot on. 'OOOohhh he karate chopped me in the throat' :pac:

Lastly, bit weird when Conor said he didn't think much of California. With the booing he got at the start, I wonder did he get a bit of an icy reception from fans since arriving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Tinie wrote: »
    Yeah, he showed that he actually does have a funny personality.

I wish conor would relax a bit more sometimes and just answer normally, and not always feel he has to keep up the arrogant character.

It will probably come with time for Conor. It would be nice to hear an honest appraisal of his opponents skill set they are always the most interesting questions/interviews you get from fighters. When Jones and Cormier were talking about each others abilities without dicking about it was great to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I had no idea there was a 13.5 inch reach advantage for jones. Thats a huge gap! I can't really see DC winning this one, I want him to but I'd say Jones will put him away with a tko/ko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

DC kicking ass in HW and LHW and the way he has been doing it is very inpressive. Should be a great fight and no way i think jones walks it

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Thought the interviews were good,no harm for Conor not to be the centre of attention coz dustin isn't up for the trash talk!jones and dc will be a war but I can see jones taking it,he is a better athlete and a serious wrestler,looking forward to it though!!

I think Conor is right I can actually see dustin pulling out of this fight,his body language looks like he is afraid and I'm actually a fan of his,he is a beast but it seems Conor is already in his head and it cleary is upsetting him every time Conor mentions his weak chin! If the fight goes ahead it will be epic,first round will be crazy!! Can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Dave Doyle tweeted this; @davedoylemma: Poirier tells me he went out of his way to find something to put his back against during the brawl in case McGregor decided to try anything.

Conor has Poirier fearing him already.

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    Dave Doyle tweeted this; @davedoylemma: Poirier tells me he went out of his way to find something to put his back against during the brawl in case McGregor decided to try anything.

Haha, what did he expect Conor to do, jump on him and beat the ****e out of him while everyone's distracted, if that's true then Conor is in this guys head 6 wks in advance

Dermighty wrote: »
    I had no idea there was a 13.5 inch reach advantage for jones. Thats a huge gap! I can't really see DC winning this one, I want him to but I'd say Jones will put him away with a tko/ko.

yeah, that's some reach advantage alright, probably the biggest i can ever remember, it's all gonna go down to if DC can get inside without eating a KO punch/kick, and unfortunately i don't think he can

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

BeepBeep! wrote: »

Whos Dave Doyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

adamski8 wrote: »
    DC kicking ass in HW and LHW and the way he has been doing it is very inpressive.

DC is the best wrestler in the HW/LHW decisions.
    He has been beating other grapplers. Barnett, Mir, Hendo, Monson, Silva etc.
    None of these are top LHW calibre strikers.

Ye, some of them (Hendo, Big Roy) have massive KO power, but neither are revived strikers. Picking DC apart on the feet is an obvious choice for Jones, and I don't think he'll struggle.

How fast is DC's power double?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Obvious choice for jones is exactly the opposite of what he has been doing in his last few fights. He and DC both said jones is going to try out wrestle him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Mellor wrote: »

How fast is DC's power double?

He doesnt really power double much. But his single and Hip changes have been unstoppable so far. Jones just has such a freakish body type it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to clinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

califano wrote: »
    Whos Dave Doyle?

He's an American reporter for mmafighting.com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

He doesnt really power double much. But his single and Hip changes have been unstoppable so far. Jones just has such a freakish body type it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to clinch.

At least he won't have any difficulty getting under his hips...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Apparently They didn't know they were being filmed.

https://mediacru.sh/9udOwRUPh0yv

Advertisement