Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The O&O 2014 World Cup Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Erm, speaking of RUBBISH....:mad: Yeugghhh!

Sorry, maybe you prefer this version,

Opodolopodous:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

martinn123 wrote: »
    No. There's another two weeks of excitement.

have you picked a Team yet?

Soccer / Excitement?
    Military / Intelligence?
    Slightly / Shocked?

Watched a great team last night: Robert Plant's team playing at Glastonbury! I'm not effluent enough to have Sky Art so I missed the Shads but I'm sure they'll make it onto Freesat soon.

You know that sound you make when you imitate Hank's guitar playing Wonderful Land or Apache? How do you spell it? "Daru Daru" with your nostrils pinched? Or maybe "Dow Dow?"

Don't know if this got a mention before but Roy Hodgson? England boss? said something like: "If we had scored, it would have been a great match". Words fail me!

Flicking through the channels tonight I saw lots of intelligentia discussing today's World Cup Diving Tournament....again. Elsewhere, Dawly Port'n was making that metallic noise she calls singing and the Women's Grunting Championships from Wimbledon were also on......so, thoroughly depressed, I went to bed early, with some nice warm cocoa, clutching my signed photograph of Victor Meldrew, hoping that tomorrow would be better.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Soccer / Excitement?
    Military / Intelligence?
    Slightly / Shocked?

Watched a great team last night: Robert Plant's team playing at Glastonbury! I'm not effluent enough to have Sky Art so I missed the Shads but I'm sure they'll make it onto Freesat soon.

You know that sound you make when you imitate Hank's guitar playing Wonderful Land or Apache? How do you spell it? "Daru Daru" with your nostrils pinched? Or maybe "Dow Dow?"

Don't know if this got a mention before but Roy Hodgson? England boss? said something like: "If we had scored, it would have been a great match". Words fail me!

Flicking through the channels tonight I saw lots of intelligentia discussing today's World Cup Diving Tournament....again. Elsewhere, Dawly Port'n was making that metallic noise she calls singing and the Women's Grunting Championships from Wimbledon were also on......so, thoroughly depressed, I went to bed early, with some nice warm cocoa, clutching my signed photograph of Victor Meldrew, hoping that tomorrow would be better.

It Won't be, so pick a fecking Team.:P

It Won't be, so pick a fecking Team.:P

Pick a diving team? In Benny Hill shorts? Walking out, holding hands with little boys? Hand clapping over their heads? Goalie shouting at everyone if he has to make a save? The offside rule? Pretending to know the words of their national anthems? Skidding on their knees if they score? Same old saymo, over and over.

Oh alright! Come on ye Faroe Islands!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Nope Martinn, not that one, classic though it is. This one... (holy moly, would y'look at the time, night John-Boy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Sorry Layinghen to hear you are in hospital. Speedy recovery to you and best of luck to Argentina!

" Thomas Müller, who is currently positioned to become the first two-time winner of the Golden Boot with four goals thus far, seems less interested in his own goal-scoring prowess to date than what lays before him.
    “Now and then, one drops in front of my foot,” said Müller of his game-winning goal against the USA. “but I am doing nothing but training like a madman.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Robben was at his best (diving) yesterday. I posted a few pics up in posts 2740 & 2741 here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OK so in an attempt to fill in the remaining available Supporter Places

and in the light of the obvious success of this Thread, being on the 5th page so far,

I think the Moderators, ( who despite their disinterest, I think are keeping a sneaky eye on us ) should pick a Team, each, if for no other reason than to take one for the Team, should their pick be rubbish.

I am only keeping an eye on this thread as I had to sign in blood to swear that I would check every single updated post and review and report on whether it was safe to be disseminated. You can't imagine how stressful this job is at times. So what teams are left to pick from?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    So what teams are left to pick from?

As far as I know all thats left is ;

France or Nigeria( playing today at 5pm)

Algeria ( paying tonight)

USA ( tomorrow)

Red Hare wrote: »
    As far as I know all thats left is ;

France or Nigeria( playing today at 5pm)

Algeria ( paying tonight)

USA ( tomorrow)

Ok I will shout for Nigeria, apparently I have some long lost relations there who have left me loadsa money

Two places left for tonight.

France will take on Nigeria ( supported by Looksee) at 5pm

Germany ( supported by Red Hare ) take on Algeria. at 9pm.

I think.........
    BrensBenz wrote:
    Pick a diving team? In Benny Hill shorts? Walking out, holding hands with little boys? Hand clapping over their heads? Goalie shouting at everyone if he has to make a save? The offside rule? Pretending to know the words of their national anthems? Skidding on their knees if they score? Same old saymo, over and over.

Oh alright! Come on ye Faroe Islands!

.......this post shows a little too much knowledge of the game, from one who asserts not to be a true follower.

I suspect either watching from behind the couch, or astute use of the record and playback function, perhaps even the pause facility, on the Sky Magic Box.........

so if no takers by 5pm, I will make an executive decision and appoint, BrensBenz as our official '' France Supporter ''

And no Hand- Ball Please.

That would be looksee, Martinnn :-) So do I gather I am up against Brens? I have put hubby in charge of watching the match for me. The things he does for me... He is baffled about why I didn't choose France and had difficulty understanding the concept of wealthy Nigerian relatives.

Shhhh don't tell Brens, I don't think he realises he was supporting France so since they won we won't mention it.

Anyone for Algeria,? Last chance.

Mr Hare, himself, is supporting Algeria. Looks like the German defense is on the ropes! C'mon Germany!

That was a great game! Pity to see Algeria go out - they gave a great account of themselves. France next - Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Looking forward to it Red Hare

Couple of good games yesterday.

Big thanks to Mr Hare, for stepping up to the mark, and supporting Algeria.

So today we have,

Argentina, supported by Layinghen
    v
    Switzerland, supported by myself,
    at 5pm

then at 9pm

Belgium, supported by Rubecula
    v
    USA, who are looking for a sponsor.

Any takers for USA

• Advertisement

To set the scene for a Switzerland win tonight,

here are a few images

The Fans,

[URL="[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2iivays.jpg[/IMG]"]2iivays.jpg[/URL]

My front room,

[URL="[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/4t3cp4.jpg[/IMG]"]4t3cp4.jpg[/URL]

and their No 1 Fan, watch out for him in the crowd, unless he's tied up at Wimbledon.

213grcz.jpg

I will make an executive decision and appoint, BrensBenz as our official '' France Supporter ''

France!?!?!?! Bluddy France?!?!?! One of God's few mistakes!?!?!
    Any nation, infatuated with cookery, perfume and fashion (but not soap) has something seriously wrong with it. And that's just the men!

Aw, Janey Mac. Bluddy France!
    Any nation that only pronounces one in three of their letters has something seriously wrong with it. And what about that disgusting noise they make when they pronounce "R"?

Awww Gawwwd! France!
    Any nation whose exports include the rudest waiters on Earth has something seriously wrong with it.

Feque sake. France!

Ugghhhh!

The only good things to come from France are the Channel Tunnel and......Catherine Deneuve?......Hmmm.....

OK so. Vive La Frawce!
    Sofa, over-priced plonk and frogs legs. Aw ee aw ee aw. Allay Lay Bluh.

Phooey - you are only accepting it because they won over Nigeria - Just.

looksee wrote: »
    Phooey - you are only accepting it because they won over Nigeria - Just.

Frawce won???? At soccer???? When they scored, did they throw their handbags in the air?

Catherine will be pleased. Who are WE playing next?

Howld on there, lads and lassies. Didn't some Frawce player wave his arms about and score against Ireland in some critical, vital, crucial, all-important soccer tournament some time ago? An Eamon Dunphy was amized dah he wasn't sen toff?

Hmmm! But they did produce Brigitte Bardot.

Allay Lay Bluh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Can't compete with Martinn's set up for this evening as I am still being detained (hospital not prison!).

But I am certainly prepared, dinner was at 12 (roast lamb, mashed potatoes, broccoli and carrots) followed by bannoffi pie. Always turn down the soup starter as I feel that having a two course meal in the middle of the day is hard enough work.

The rattle of the tea trolly should start soon with my chicken salad sandwich and copious amounts of tea being delivered by 5.

The no visitors sign is stuck on the door and all staff have been warned to ignore shouting and if I really need them I'll ring the bell.

May the best team win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Get well soon Hen I feel sure that Chucken will miss your regular clucking at each other. XXX

I wonder if the Pope is shouting for his home team, or are these Guy's keeping him quiet

http://2164ur.gif

Extra Time, we need one of these

[URL="[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/15piuki.jpg[/IMG]"]15piuki.jpg[/URL]

That's just for me, the players can make their own arrangments

Me nerves are gone............

And I barely even know what is going on!!!!

• Advertisement

Yes.................

Advertisement