Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CIÉ looking for Planning permission for redevelopment of Kent station, Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

roundymac wrote: »
    Images for the new design on todays Irish Examiner, I can't find a link to post though.

Good ? Bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dowlingm wrote: »
    offtopic since no drawings posted yet but can someone explain to me why Irish planning authorities use Djvu rather than PDF? Very annoying having to install this crap to look at application drawings.
    I suspect a misguided attempt to protect the copyright of the document creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

A planning document should be in the public domain. In Toronto planning documents are PDFs - for example this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

they're taking down the railings inside the station now.
    8718959441_46a5bb9cf5_z.jpg
    20130508_073824 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

it seems to be going well.
    8718959517_a79994537d_z.jpg
    20130507_160307 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

8720080314_b146132363_z.jpg
    20130507_160155 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Stopped for a second this morning as I wasn't in work till eleven and it looked like the closure for a week was the cue for IR to do the station equivalent of heavy maintenance on a loco.

There was an red buffer stop on the avoiding line that goes around the back of the station building itself and the bridge and tunnel were given the once over it looks like. I suppose when was the last time the mallow cork line was closed for a week ? And I wonder have they taken to opportunity to take up track from malla to cork ?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There was an red buffer stop on the avoiding line that goes around the back of the station building itself
    Any work on the avoiding line?
    and the bridge and tunnel were given the once over it looks like.
    That's been going on for a few weeks.
    And I wonder have they taken to opportunity to take up track from malla to cork ?
    It seems Rathpeason is / was disconnected.

The application appears to be on-line now.

Go to http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1335599 and click on 'view related documents'

You will need to install a DJVU viewer, which I suspect only works with Internet Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Interesting and very typically IE. Ripping up railway tracks in favour of car parking.

Victor wrote: »
    Any work on the avoiding line ?
    Not that I could see but there was a cherry picker type thing up against the buffer stop
    Between the buffer stop and the tunnel if you get me.
    That's been going on for a few weeks.

It seems Rathpeason is / was disconnected.
    wasn't rathpeacon disconnected before now ? Sure north esk looked 99.% intact just that small bit to connect to the main line.

Went down to the station today looked at the new barriers and the first thing you notice is how high the old barriers were and how much they blocked a persons view. The subway is now inside the new railings. The bridge is still a bit away from being finished, which allowed me to get a unique picture I think it's. unique anyway.

www.flickr.com/photos/37351096@N02/8729603586

• Advertisement

@IrishRail: Bridge works btwn Cork &.Mallow completed early, line reopening, 19.00 & 21.00 Dub-Cork &19.15 Tralee-Cork trains will run through to Cork

they've brought the new fancy railings all the way down now, but moved the line of the railings out a good bit.

8733701489_cd48bb2639_z.jpg
    Kent Station works by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

works on the bridge outside:
    8733700087_c2eb6c1ea8_z.jpg
    Working on the bridge by Kent station by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

8733699099_df323f5be0_z.jpg
    works on the bridge by Kent station by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Are the new railings with them being so low not going to easier to get over ?

Are the new railings with them being so low not going to easier to get over ?

With the new layout, platform 4 might no longer be considered to be on the 'paid' side.

they're making some changes to the layout of the queues and gates, e.g. there's a barrier now as you head to platforms 4/5 or the travel office.
    It's between the automatic doors. I'll get a shot when I can find it clear of people and IR staff :)

all the spots for gates have these underneath - which I presume allows for data/power cables, for automatic gates maybe?
    8718959441_46a5bb9cf5.jpg
    taking down the old railings inside the station by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

This morning I saw they've started to lay the same sort of thing from the booking office across to the gates of Platforms 1 and 2. photos to come on that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

deRanged wrote: »
    I'm wondering if they're making a queue system like they have in Heuston.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/395572_10151852280503835_1932081641_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sounds like "automatic exit barriers will soon be in place at all exits from the station, please have your ticket ready when exiting the station".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

And RPU armed with cattle prods!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Sounds like "automatic exit barriers will soon be in place at all exits from the station, please have your ticket ready when exiting the station".

So what you won't be able to walk into the station and stuff without a ticket ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

You won't be able to board the train or leave the train when it arrives without a ticket.

Like in Heuston and Connolly you wont get from the main concourse where the booking office shop and toilets are without passing through a ticket barrier for which you will need a valid ticket.

Like in Heuston and Connolly you wont get from the main concourse where the booking office shop and toilets are without passing through a ticket barrier for which you will need a valid ticket.

But why ? What is the point of that ? I enjoyed going for a walk around the station at times. Are they trying to stop people from going near the station ?

But why ? What is the point of that ? I enjoyed going for a walk around the station at times. Are they trying to stop people from going near the station ?
    Only those with tickets will be allowed to enter onto the platforms and Queuing area, this will cut down on those without tickets stealing from IE by travelling free.

you'll still be able to walk the length of platform 4, down to the other entrance door at the tunnel end of the platform. like this!

8747201772_d2a553b1ca.jpg
    Untitled by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

8746080289_52b74219b4.jpg

8747200608_e38148fe7d.jpg

this is opposite the other entrance by the tunnel end of platform 4, presumably to allow for a swift exit from the station.

8747199524_c438f1af0c.jpg

the new conduits I was talking about - looks like they come in the roof, drop down the wall by the ticket machines near platform 1 and head towards the new works on 4.
    8746079095_15f439f8e3.jpg

Are there not ticket barrier machines going in on the ticket office side of the current platform doors? Those gaps in the new barriers are for glass gates operated by code as seen in Heuston and Connolly and Pearse to allow for staff access.

Are there not ticket barrier machines going in on the ticket office side of the current platform doors? Those gaps in the new barriers are for glass gates operated by code as seen in Heuston and Connolly and Pearse to allow for staff access.
    No the only barrier before was the one that ran the length of the platform in the main train shed. There are gates that were always open to platforms 1&2 and a sign that said something along the lines of no access beyond this point without permission. And someone would be there nearer to the time of train departures.

No the only barrier before was the one that ran the length of the platform in the main train shed. There are gates that were always open to platforms 1&2 and a sign that said something along the lines of no access beyond this point without permission. And someone would be there nearer to the time of train departures.
    What I'm thinking will be is that barrier has been replaced with a lower glass and steel barrier same as Heuston and Connolly and the gates will be replaced with glass gates operated electrically using a keypad like the gates here

heuston3.jpg

Then I expect a bank of ticket machines to be placed inside the station in front of the doors to the platforms where the trunking and blue plastic barrier in the picture posted above in post #56 is.

What I'm thinking will be is that barrier has been replaced with a lower glass and steel barrier same as Heuston and Connolly and the gates will be replaced with glass gates operated electrically using a keypad like the gates here

Then I expect a bank of ticket machines to be placed inside the station in front of the doors to the platforms where the trunking and blue plastic barrier in the picture posted above in post #56 is.

I think you're right about that. it makes sense with the layout - only one new entrance to 4 and 5, both through a new ticket barrier thing.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    I think you're right about that. it makes sense with the layout - only one new entrance to 4 and 5, both through a new ticket barrier thing.

Unfortunately it will mean no access for enthusiasts/spotters/photographers onto platforms unless they purchase a ticket or have a free travel pass.

Advertisement