Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nexus 7 3G from continent/US -- will it work?

• 27-12-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Afternoon chaps,

I'm quite keen to pick up a Nexus 7 when they return to the shelves, but I can't help but think that Wi-Fi does not provide enough connectivity for me. (Sure I could tether it to my handset but that will drain my battery)

As there are still no release updates for a 3G version in Ireland, I'm entertaining the thought of purchasing one from America or Europe. So, the questions are: will it work? and through which provider?

For instance, could I wack any SIM from 3 into it or would it need to be a SIM for mobile broadband or something similar?

At the moment I pay €20 a month for 3's unlimited data/call/text pay-as-you-go on my handset and am quite pleased with it. If the only option for 3G data on the tablet's another €20 a month, then I reckon I'm better off just buying a second battery for my mobile. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

It's unlocked so it will work in Ireland. As for the SIM, I think any SIM will work once it has a data plan, but not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Eoin_Eamon

What I mean is, if I pop in my 3 SIM from my handset would it have connectivity straight away as my SIM would work equally in any unlocked handset?

For instance I don't think a SIM registered to a handset would work if you pitched it into a mobile broadband dongle or a laptop. I believe 3 can detect which type of device the SIM is in and choose not to allow it to connect. So I'm wondering then if there would be any connection available until 3 officially releases/supports the Nexus.

Or am I just speaking out my arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Nexus 7 3G is back on sale on the UK play store, after a months absense at least/about

Advertisement