Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retail options for small press/indie comics

• 22-10-2012 9:23pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been reading with interest about Comicsy recently, and it occurs to me that while this forum has a few interesting discussions and tidbits of advice for people about how to present themselves at cons etc there's not really much about how to sell your comics elsewhere.

I figure it would be interesting to try and get some discussion and opinions about what works or does not work for selling small press & indie comics.

For example, the recent DICE convention operated what I think of as the Caption model - ie one table for all the independent comics. This can work well, bur requires your table staff to be knowledgeable about the comics available. (London Underground Comics at the Camden Lock was another laudable effort along similar lines, as it required anyone wanting to sell their comics on the table to man it for at least an hour - some folks were lovely and friendly, but others seemed resolutely uninterested in actually managing a table in my experience).

Obviously another alternative is to try and sell direct to comic shops (or even non-comic shops) - local bookshops might be interested in your comic, and any shops targeting the same audience as your comic even more so.

Then there are the small press/indie oriented distributors - Shane Chebsey's Smallzone is the biggest one I know of, but Comicsy has an advantage over it in that it seems able to handle digital comic sales (which anyone wanting to make and sell comics should be thinking about these days).

What other options or sites are out there?

Advertisement