Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you don't vote do you have a right to complain afterward?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Eh? I don't get this thread. If you're a hard working citizen, pay your taxes and contribute to the system then you have every right to complain whether you're a voter or not.

"I hate this government."
    "Oh yeah. Who did you vote for at the last election?"
    "I didn't vote. I'm disillusioned at the lack of viable options."
    "Well you can't really complain then, can you?"
    "I'm paying €20k a year in taxes. Of course I can."

End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

"Why didn't you spoil your vote or do something else such as start a local campaign or even just write letters to politicians / the media?"
    "I don't have the time"

As I said earlier, of course you can complain, but if that's all you do then you're not going to be taken very seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

darkman2 wrote: »
    OK, just straight to the point. I hear alot of people and friends say they hate the government this that and the other but some of them who are the most virulent in their opposition say they did not vote when I asked them did they vote.:confused:

This irritates me because I believe if you are well able to vote and don't you are defacto forfeiting your right of complaint. I don't say the same for someone who spoiled their vote because at least they went to the trouble of spoiling a vote in protest or whatever. But those who sit at home, have easy access to a polling station, and are well able to get there to vote I think forfeit their right to complain. I don't even listen to them tbh.

A bit harsh? What do you reckon?

No. Voting in Europe today is akin to voting in the USSR. Those who enable the centrist status quo careerists are more guilty than abstentionists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Eh? I don't get this thread. If you're a hard working citizen, pay your taxes and contribute to the system then you have every right to complain whether you're a voter or not.

End of.

How very . . . Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

JustinDee wrote: »
    How very . . . Irish.

why do you say that?

Over here (NZ) lots and lots of newspaper pieces (and generally public opinion) is that rate payers get their say. There's huge backlash against the elected council here in New Plymouth about them not listening to people wishes in their long term plan. Yeah they were elected by the same rate payers and citizens but are now not doing something that people are happy with and there's plenty of protest and opinion of entitlement to a say if your pay rates.

• Advertisement

why do you say that?

Over here (NZ) lots and lots of newspaper pieces (and generally public opinion) is that rate payers get their say. There's huge backlash against the elected council here in New Plymouth about them not listening to people wishes in their long term plan. Yeah they were elected by the same rate payers and citizens but are now not doing something that people are happy with and there's plenty of protest and opinion of entitlement to a say if your pay rates.

So this silent protest gone great guns then? A massive backlash of erm...not voting?
    Fentestuc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

You are still assuming that voting is actually a meaningful choice that produces a meaningfully different outcome depending on who you vote for. It isn't and it doesn't. Not in this country at this moment in time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hayte wrote: »
    You are still assuming that voting is actually a meaningful choice that produces a meaningfully different outcome depending on who you vote for. It isn't and it doesn't. Not in this country at this moment in time anyway.
    If that is so, does that preclude one from all other courses of action?

Other than complaining, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Cognitive Cascade

People here complain of the politics and policies in other countries all the time without obviously voting, do they have the "right to complain"?

Anyway it depends on what reasons you had for not voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

imo i think should be fined for not voting, if they want to go to the polling station and spoil their vote by all means but if they just dont bother their arse fine them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

imo i think should be fined for not voting, if they want to go to the polling station and spoil their vote by all means but if they just dont bother their arse fine them....

what about those in college etc away from their constituancy, or in hospital or disabled who cannot get to a polling station etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

I don't complain about Man Utd because i'm not a Man Utd fan. I don't buy their gear, watch their matches or subscribe to their website etc. I don't contribute therefore I don't feel i have the right to complain about them if they loose the league. I could, but why would anyone take me or my opinion seriously when i'm just a bystander watching what's going on?

If I was a paid up member, went to games, bought jerseys and spent my time, energy and money contributing in some way to them then yeah, I would have the right to complain when they were being ****.

Same principle.

what about those in college etc away from their constituancy?
    If they are in college or away from their constituency, they change constituency and address.
    This means that said student, however, might have to get out of bed before 1pm to do this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not sure how to vote in the forthcoming referendum?

Let this objective, dispassionate video be your guide! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

what about those in college etc away from their constituancy, or in hospital or disabled who cannot get to a polling station etc?

ok fair point....... maybe some sort of swipe card for voting where you can vote in any polling station if you happen to be elsewhere

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think you have every right to complain even if you dont vote. ybh i think alot of people shouldnt be allowed vote, all these treaty votes with fools voting no based on ignorance and lack of understanding "it wasnr spelt out for me by the government so i'm jst going to vote no', completely distorts the voting. if i feel no one is suitable i will not vote, and i will complain all i want about it after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

i think you have every right to complain even if you dont vote. ybh i think alot of people shouldnt be allowed vote, all these treaty votes with fools voting no based on ignorance and lack of understanding "it wasnr spelt out for me by the government so i'm jst going to vote no', completely distorts the voting. if i feel no one is suitable i will not vote, and i will complain all i want about it after

There are plenty of "fools" voting yes for precisely the same reasons. I've seen plenty of hyperbolic nonsense treated as hard fact over the past few weeks.

Advertisement