Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ruairí Quinn: Teachers don't appreciate gravity of economic crisis

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Kinski wrote: »
    This sort of thing happens in just about every subject. I remember a number of English teachers who "taught" me by repeating "rules" like "Never start a sentence with and or but"; "Animals sweat; people perspire"; and other such nonsense.

I'm not saying that it is not a problem, it is, just less so. The core function of a language is to make ones thoughts understood. The core function of maths is to explain and understand. Hence rote learning negates the whole purpose of maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Drumpot wrote: »
    Our government is letting us all down badly. Cuts in public spending is just one of the many things our politicians have continually proven to be downright useless at fixing. There is an us v them divide in the public/private service because both are living in completely differant worlds when it comes to accountability, being paid what an employer can afford and ramifications if an employer gets into financial trouble.

You seemed to completely miss what I was saying, not sure if you did that on purpose or not but 3 times I said the government need to stop asking and start doing.

I have said they do not need the go ahead from anyone to do what they want to do. This is what managers do.

The unions will give out and argue aginst any cuts and rightly so that is the only reason they are there to argue for the interests of their members but that in no way says the government have to do what the unions say.

It seems you were the one not getting what I was saying.

I do not know how to make it any more clear

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

seavill wrote: »
    You seemed to completely miss what I was saying, not sure if you did that on purpose or not but 3 times I said the government need to stop asking and start doing.

I have said they do not need the go ahead from anyone to do what they want to do. This is what managers do.

The unions will give out and argue aginst any cuts and rightly so that is the only reason they are there to argue for the interests of their members but that in no way says the government have to do what the unions say.

It seems you were the one not getting what I was saying.

I do not know how to make it any more clear

So why did you argue with my post if you are making the same point that I made? You took everything I stated personally, presuming I was talking about your circumstances (when I clearly qualified my position). I responded to every point you made, clearly, not really sure what I have misunderstood to be honest.

A huge reason why people have a certain view of public servants is because of the Unions. You took exception to how I highlighted this stereotypical trait that most people relate to and focused on how your circumstances prove that what I say is untrue.

In truth, the unions paint a very negative picture of their members that people seem all to happy to follow when it looks like it might reap benefits and then they get all upset when it has a negative side effect of making them look completely ignorant to the state of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well with the constant cuts and brain drains, the matter will only get worse.
    The flip side? I it will be costing less too.

What it will cost us in the long run is just incalculable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

20Cent wrote: »
    When is the last time there was a strike?
    There was a one day one about two years or so ago then its many years again until the one before that. This stuff about militant teachers and unions pulling strings somehow doesn't stand up to scrutiny. They gave Quinn the silent treatment poor guy so what. 1.5billion in unsecured unguranteed AIB bonds being paid tomorrow bet you it doesn't even make the news.

]
    thats because they have been protected by the CPA and even do the country is teethering on the point of destruction the teachers dont want their pay touched and consider allowances part of their core pay..Sure why would the sh1ts strike whilst they are creaming it

• Advertisement

An Irish politician telling someone that they need to take pay cuts and that they're out of touch with the "gravity" of the crisis.
    How many pensions is Ho Chi Quinn getting?

A politician representing the tax payers ??? dont get me wrong Mr Quinn could do with a nice 25% pay cuts but how much do we spend on pay for techers its a hell of a lot more than we do for politicians...So stop deflecting to other areas the 2 big areas in the public sector are education and health and both need to be brought back into line to what we can afford

Celticfire wrote: »
    How much scrutiny is there of lazy parents I wonder? It's all well and good to blame teachers for little Johnny "Tiger" Cub's failings at school as that's the easy option. At secondary level it's up to students to "study" what was taught in school that day.

How many parents are happy to take the easy approach and let Johnny spend all his time out of school texting, Facebooking, playing Call Of Duty or Minecraft?

Parents are supposed to parent also. Give a teen the choice between 2 hours of study or 5 hours of Minecraft and see which one wins out.

They are all to busy getting 2nd fu.cking jobs to pay your fu.cking wage and pension entitlements ..You do your job at a rate we can afford and then take the moral high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

fliball123 wrote: »
    A politician representing the tax payers ??? dont get me wrong Mr Quinn could do with a nice 25% pay cuts but how much do we spend on pay for techers its a hell of a lot more than we do for politicians...So stop deflecting to other areas the 2 big areas in the public sector are education and health and both need to be brought back into line to what we can afford

That's true that both are bloated and inefficient. But I don't see anybody running to tell nurses that they are under worked and overpaid, you wouldn't get the chance because they are so run off their feet.
    Dept. of Education isn't all that different, it's front line staff are stretched thin for feck all pay while management and paper pushers reap the rewards.

And as for that other fella ranting on about pensions. Get a grip, the tax payer doesn't pay for as much of that as you seem to think. And if you really want to see teachers working to a level that matches their pay, then prepare yourself for a shock.

Advertisement