Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

• 30-03-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Who's looking forward to this week in Galway. I'm really excited about it. Anyone know what entertainment will be lined up this time round. I really hope the weather is good like last time. It's like a holiday away. :D Any ideas of the music.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Volvo Ocean Race Galway

We're busy working away on getting confirmation of acts on all nights from the 30th June - 8th July. As soon as we have acts confirmed and signed off we'll be announcing them on our Facebook page and website. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

thanks for that - will keep on it

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrVoracious

Really can't wait! I was thinking about staying in a hostel for the last weekend but i'm just wondering if you have to book it in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I hope the saw doctors do a concert preferably on a weekend night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Really can't wait! I was thinking about staying in a hostel for the last weekend but i'm just wondering if you have to book it in advance?
    You should book as soon as you are sure you plan to travel.

Hostels are relatively cheap so they fill up very very quickly.

I would recommend Kinlay House.

• Advertisement

You should book as soon as you are sure you plan to travel.

Hostels are relatively cheap so they fill up very very quickly.

I would recommend Kinlay House.

Thanks for the advice! The last time I was in galway I stayed in Snoozle's. It was great and the staff were brilliant so I might try that one again. Obviously i'll have a look around first and see where I can get the best deal but at least I have a fallback :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

No problem. Seriously though, book very early or you might be disappointed. I know it's still about 12 weeks away, but after the success it was last year, beds will go fast.

I've heard Snoozles is good as well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hope they get the Stunning/the Walls to play. That was easily one of the best gigs I was ever at.

Ideally i'd love if they got the cranberries (after all they do have to promote their new album and they don't have any irish dates as of yet) but I'd say they'd be too expensive :(
    A man can dream.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Plus one on the cranberries, would LOVE if they played!

Friend of mine saw them in Sydney recently and said it was a great show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

should be ok. Hope its not too noisy

Shane St. wrote: »
    should be ok. Hope its not too noisy
    Lol if music is good I hope the opposite! :P
    Just hope they dont get some ****ty pop 'musician' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Rammstein would be special....Not a chance in the world i know, but no harm in dreaming...:D

My Bloody Valentine!!! Make it the loudest race village of the tournament :D
    I think I'd even prefer them to the cranberries... The only Irish artist that could top that would be Rory Gallagher but sadly he's not here anymore....

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Any clues as to when any of the main music acts might be announced?

Time is ticking past, I'd have thought there would have been at least 1 or 2 of the top acts announced/leaked by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I think I'd even prefer them to the cranberries... The only Irish artist that could top that would be Rory Gallagher but sadly he's not here anymore....

White noise!
    There'd be only a handful of people left.
    I saw them at EP and it was stunning!

dinneenp wrote: »

White noise!
    There'd be only a handful of people left.
    I saw them at EP and it was stunning!

You can guarantee the ones left would have a great taste in music! :D

• Hope they get the Stunning/the Walls to play. That was easily one of the best gigs I was ever at.

Yeah, love the Stunning. Best thing about them is they have farewell gigs every year

They've been saying goodbye for ages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Am heading to galway for weekend for the Ocean race but wondering asto what weekend would be best to go down. Know last year that the Saturday and Sunday of bank holiday when the boats arrived was crazy with the bands playing on stage at the docks.
    hopefully get more of the same weather and will make for an unforgettable week in galway

• CRYSTAL SWING!!

Er, no. I kid. Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

from galwaynews.ie facebook page....

"Galway is going to have royalty at this summer's Volvo Ocean Race Grand Finale ... Prince Harry! You know where you heard it first."

More publicity in my eyes, a great boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Will you be keeping us up to date with more awesome photies this time round Foxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

foxy_19-89 wrote: »

"Galway is going to have royalty at this summer's Volvo Ocean Race Grand Finale ... Prince Harry! You know where you heard it first."

Fantastic for Galway and Harry of course lol but the extra security and Traffic will be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

foxy_19-89 wrote: »

Wow. Even if it's an unofficial visit, this is big news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Am I the only one worried that it was so great last time it will be impossible to top and since it's the final stage it will draw in more of a bad crowd like the races.

Worried is the wrong choice of words since I won't be there for it but that's how I felt before I left. I liked it last year when it was busy some days and not so much other days. And the atmosphere seemed a lot more happy and innocent than other events in the town. Plus the air show was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Am I the only one worried that it was so great last time it will be impossible to top and since it's the final stage it will draw in more of a bad crowd like the races.

There's a bad crowd amongst the yachting set.
    This recession really is hittng everyone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A bit of UK royalty will help boost interest in VCR so I'm all for it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Who'll bite first; GAAW, some group of wizened republican relics still fighting the troubles or the curious intersection of the two sets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Robbo wrote: »
    Who'll bite first; GAAW, some group of wizened republican relics still fighting the troubles or the curious intersection of the two sets?

Can have some fun with the fact that his family was german until the middle of WWI and somehow blame him for everything we're blaming the germans for instead?

Or maybe get him to use his training in apache gunships to put on a display that the red arrows aren't available to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Will you be keeping us up to date with more awesome photies this time round Foxy?
    Haha, unfortunately, I don't live where I did in 2009, but I will resurrect the thread and post my VOR photos there! Thanks for the interest though :)
    Wompa1 wrote: »

Worried is the wrong choice of words since I won't be there for it but that's how I felt before I left. I liked it last year when it was busy some days and not so much other days. And the atmosphere seemed a lot more happy and innocent than other events in the town. Plus the air show was great.

There's always going to be a 'bad crowd' no matter what the event, the time of year, or where it's held. Controlling them is another thing, I just hope the council and Lets Do It organise the traffic and closed road areas properly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement