Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Got my grant renewal accepted (YAY!) and where i put in my bank details it asks for the banks stamp, does that have to be done in the branch my account was opened in or any Bank of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

Hey, i was wondering if your grand application was accepted, do you still have to pay the fees, and they'll send you the money at a later date? Or do you just tell your college you have a grant, and SUSI will send them the money directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

xcorina wrote: »
    Hey, i was wondering if your grand application was accepted, do you still have to pay the fees, and they'll send you the money at a later date? Or do you just tell your college you have a grant, and SUSI will send them the money directly?

You give the college your acceptance letter and then you dont even worry about the fees. you will have to pay the student levy though, think it was €70 last year ish in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jim Stark

Posted this in another thread but I think it's better suited here:

I can't believe I've left it this late, but I've only submitted my application two days ago! I'm applying as an independent mature, and I'm studying in the UK. I only moved over late September last year, and don't have any bills or such as proof before 1st Oct, will they accept my lease as proof of residence does anybody know? I have a letter from a bank from the 3rd Oct?? Also I moved house again in March; does that matter? If you don't think they will accept my lease; as I was living independently in Ireland before moving over, can I use a letter from Irish Revenue about tax repayments from March 2011 as proof of residence even though I'm currently living in UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bluesea

PlayGirl wrote: »
    Got my grant renewal accepted (YAY!) and where i put in my bank details it asks for the banks stamp, does that have to be done in the branch my account was opened in or any Bank of Ireland?

I am currently sending back my son's documentation including his bank statement, does it have to be stamped by the bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Hey can someone please verify the address you return documents to for SUSI, they requested a document and I have no idea where the freepost envelope is.

Is it PO Box 12210, Ballsbridge Dublin?

Thx

BrianDug wrote: »
    Hey can someone please verify the address you return documents to for SUSI, they requested a document and I have no idea where the freepost envelope is.

Is it PO Box 12210, Ballsbridge Dublin?

Thx

Same with me; got a letter requesting additional information, and to use pre addressed enclosed envelope but they must have forgot to put one in. Can anybody confirm the address we're supposed to send to?

Jim Stark wrote: »
    Same with me; got a letter requesting additional information, and to use pre addressed enclosed envelope but they must have forgot to put one in. Can anybody confirm the address we're supposed to send to?

Student Universal Support Ireland

P.O. Box 12210

Ballsbridge

Dublin 4

bluesea wrote: »
    I am currently sending back my son's documentation including his bank statement, does it have to be stamped by the bank?

I thought it had to but no you dont need to get a bank statement stamped sure wouldn't it be ridiculous if we had to do that.

Student Universal Support Ireland

P.O. Box 12210

Ballsbridge

Dublin 4

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Jim Stark wrote: »
    Thanks!

You welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

I have been requested for a Lease Agreement to prove independent residence(as my bank statement wasn't sufficent).On the checklist I have recieved it says "Copy of your lease agreement for the defined period or correspondence from a government department"
    I have already provided social welfare statement and revenue statement from my address,are these not accepted as correspondence from a government dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi, I've already filled out the form ages ago but I'm confused. You know when you declare income, is it before or after tax because obviously the after tax figure is much smaller. If it is the gross income (which I submitted) does SUSI deduct the tax away from that figure or what?

Nicole. wrote: »
    Hi, I've already filled out the form ages ago but I'm confused. You know when you declare income, is it before or after tax because obviously the after tax figure is much smaller. If it is the gross income (which I submitted) does SUSI deduct the tax away from that figure or what?

yes, you submit the gross figure, they get the rest of the information from the P60's and P21.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

yes, you submit the gross figure, they get the rest of the information from the P60's and P21.

So you know the income limits listed, are they before or after tax?

Nicole. wrote: »
    So you know the income limits listed, are they before or after tax?

?? Gross is before tax is deducted

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VivienneB

So I'm not applying this year for a grant but I was just curious, I don't live with my parents and my legal guardian is my aunt, but I'm still very close and relatively dependent on my parents...who would I put down on the form? Very confused! :/ any help would be really appreciated!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,742 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

VivienneB wrote: »
    So I'm not applying this year for a grant but I was just curious, I don't live with my parents and my legal guardian is my aunt, but I'm still very close and relatively dependent on my parents...who would I put down on the form? Very confused! :/ any help would be really appreciated!! :D

Yourself, if you are over 23. Your parents if you are under 23

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

If you're under 23 are you automatically considered dependant ?
    My parents income is above the cut off, I was dependant on them when i started college in 2010, but now I'm living with the girlfriend and paying for my own rent, food, etc, so can I apply for a grant for Final year even though I have't applied from 1st thru 3rd year ? (I'm going into the second semester of 3rd year now but I'm assuming i've completely missed the boat for 2012/13)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Hi my stepson is hoping to attend college this year and we are like everyone here in the process of cao and grant application, my query is for the hear grant application I am being asked for a P21 and a notice of assessment for 2011 however I was self employed up until 2009 and for the whole of 2011 I was not in employment until the latter stages of 2012 so I am unable to provide these as far as I know, so would a statement from the dep of social welfare suffice for this?
    Sorry if this has been covered all ready.

• Advertisement

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Hi my stepson is hoping to attend college this year and we are like everyone here in the process of cao and grant application, my query is for the hear grant application I am being asked for a P21 and a notice of assessment for 2011 however I was self employed up until 2009 and for the whole of 2011 I was not in employment until the latter stages of 2012 so I am unable to provide these as far as I know, so would a statement from the dep of social welfare suffice for this?
    Sorry if this has been covered all ready.

I'd say it should suffice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I would think as much myself but I just don't want me not getting the correct documentation in to jeopardize his chances of getting the grant and the welfare office didn't offer me much reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

If you're under 23 are you automatically considered dependant ?
    My parents income is above the cut off, I was dependant on them when i started college in 2010, but now I'm living with the girlfriend and paying for my own rent, food, etc, so can I apply for a grant for Final year even though I have't applied from 1st thru 3rd year ? (I'm going into the second semester of 3rd year now but I'm assuming i've completely missed the boat for 2012/13)

Just got this back from SUSI:

If you are under 23 years of age and unless you can supply sufficient evidence of estrangement from your parents (i.e. proof of legal emancipation, reports from the Gardaí, HSE or social workers), you will be assessed on both you and your parents income.

So even if you no longer live at home, dont take money of your parents and work yourself to pay your bills, if you're under 23 your parents income is assessed:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vermafogli

Hi, am hoping to get into a post grad teaching course. I'm over 23 and co habitating and have been working full time for the last seven years. Will my fees at least be covered by grant next year?

vermafogli wrote: »
    Hi, am hoping to get into a post grad teaching course. I'm over 23 and co habitating and have been working full time for the last seven years. Will my fees at least be covered by grant next year?

They might be - we really can't say for certain

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I'm sure this is a question asked all of the time but anyway: If my parents are divorced, who's income do I count? Both, or just the one I'm living with?

Also, at home, my mother has been living with a partner for 7+ years now, and his income from work (besides child benefit and FIS) is the only money coming into the house. Is it counted? He's nothing legally to me, but since he's living with my mam would I be considered dependent on him and thus take his income into account?

Finally, is income from work taken before or after tax? I ask because before tax the household income is literally less than €1,000 over the special rate of grant limit, but after tax it is well below. It would be a real blow if I lost out on the special rate, was kind of relying on qualifying for it. Although, if I have to take my Dad's income into consideration (despite the fact he's not even paying maintenance and lives with his new family elsewhere!) it will be a completely different story.

Those questions are also relevant to the HEAR scheme which I am also trying to apply for, but to be honest the grant is a more pressing issue. I want to have everything clarified so that when they announce it for this year I've all the documents I think I'll need ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

The income limit for postgrad is around €31,000 if you are over the limit then you are not eligible for fee payments.
    I'm sure this is a question asked all of the time but anyway: If my parents are divorced, who's income do I count? Both, or just the one I'm living with?

The one you are living with plus any maintenance the parent you are living with receives from the other parent as long as you can prove separation.
    Also, at home, my mother has been living with a partner for 7+ years now, and his income from work (besides child benefit and FIS) is the only money coming into the house. Is it counted? He's nothing legally to me, but since he's living with my mam would I be considered dependent on him and thus take his income into account?

If he isn't your legal guardian then no his income is irrelevant as far as your application goes.
    Finally, is income from work taken before or after tax? I ask because before tax the household income is literally less than €1,000 over the special rate of grant limit, but after tax it is well below. It would be a real blow if I lost out on the special rate, was kind of relying on qualifying for it. Although, if I have to take my Dad's income into consideration (despite the fact he's not even paying maintenance and lives with his new family elsewhere!) it will be a completely different story.

Those questions are also relevant to the HEAR scheme which I am also trying to apply for, but to be honest the grant is a more pressing issue. I want to have everything clarified so that when they announce it for this year I've all the documents I think I'll need ready to go.

As far as documents go social welfare statement for your Mom for 2012, proof of your parents separation, evidence you've lived in the country for 3 out of the last 5 years, your long form Irish birth cert and evidence of your application to the HEAR scheme will definitely be asked for.

Given your situation make sure you fill out the application correctly. Your parents should be put down as your birth parents. Their status should be down as separated. No income details should be included for your birth father, his only purpose is to show he is your birth father and that he and your mom are separated, and there should be no mention of your mothers new partner anywhere on your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

mackg wrote: »
    The income limit for postgrad is around €31,000 if you are over the limit then you are not eligible for fee payments.

The one you are living with plus any maintenance the parent you are living with receives from the other parent as long as you can prove separation.

If he isn't your legal guardian then no his income is irrelevant as far as your application goes.

As far as documents go social welfare statement for your Mom for 2012, proof of your parents separation, evidence you've lived in the country for 3 out of the last 5 years, your long form Irish birth cert and evidence of your application to the HEAR scheme will definitely be asked for.

Given your situation make sure you fill out the application correctly. Your parents should be put down as your birth parents. Their status should be down as separated. No income details should be included for your birth father, his only purpose is to show he is your birth father and that he and your mom are separated, and there should be no mention of your mothers new partner anywhere on your application.

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

And to add to that the 31,000 is the maximum threshold and only pays a percentage of the fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

filled out the form for my son, forgot to put in his dependant siblings, how can I change it?

Advertisement