Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google App Inventor- Now anyone can make an Android App

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

anyone fancy sharing out the file required on the qt ;)

You build your apps in the google cloud, no invite, no app inventing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

didn't get an invite

really annoyed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Inquitus wrote: »
    Thanks, I just went to http://appinventor.googlelabs.com and it asked me to accept the TOS and then I could create projects, I had applied on day 1 but have yet received no email, but I do have access.

I tried going there but it just took me to the signup form again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nothing yet for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Interesting review here: http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/12/android-app-inventor-demo/

From What I interpret it will still only suit "programmer" types but of the visual basic sort. meh - I'll be ignoring my invite after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Anyone else still waiting for this? I thought i signed up pretty quickly after the announcement ...:confused:

Yeah I'm still waiting too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Still nothing :(
    *Grumble*Grumble*Grumble*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I got mine last Friday after a prompt application at the beginning from this thread.

I quite like it, no way as in depth as the actual SDK so for "proper" programming it's probably no good.

Going through the hello world tutorials so I get a basic idea on what I can do with the device. The SDK development will be a step after this.

You won't be writing ROMs or getting to CPU internals with it, but you will be able to create any number of "iPhone" like applications :D

What I mean is you'll be able to do a fart counter, moving sprites games, dialing numbers, checking websites, etc. etc. I'm only scratching the surface.

nereid wrote: »
    I got mine last Friday after a prompt application at the beginning from this thread.

I quite like it, no way as in depth as the actual SDK so for "proper" programming it's probably no good.

Going through the hello world tutorials so I get a basic idea on what I can do with the device. The SDK development will be a step after this.

You won't be writing ROMs or getting to CPU internals with it, but you will be able to create any number of "iPhone" like applications :D

What I mean is you'll be able to do a fart counter, moving sprites games, dialing numbers, checking websites, etc. etc. I'm only scratching the surface.

You had me at "fart counter" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

giving this a try myself to see if anything neat can come of it.

Blizzard recently launched their "realid" system, and I imagine its a matter of time before they have an application to chat to friends on your phone, similar to the likes of googe talk.

But if I can get there first, wincakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Got into the beta a couple of days ago and Its fun to create apps but its also very limited E.G. you cant create multiple screens and you cant use the menu key to create a menu :(. That said this is still in private beta and they seem to add more features with every update :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The lack of multiple screens really annoyed me.
    You can get around it though by creating a definition that makes every object invisible, and then making the objects you want on the next 'screen' visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I just got my invite so I'm going to give it a try to see if it can create a specific app i have in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Can you view the source that's generated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

johnp wrote: »
    Can you view the source that's generated?
    You can yeah, so it's fairly easy to create a basic app and then edit the source to make it more advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I wish they'd hurry up with my invite, Its been atleast three weeks.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

squared wrote: »
    Try logging in anyway, it should work.

didn't work for me :(

squared wrote: »

Its the same with me but if I just go to the page and log in I get the signup request form again. I've fill it out twice since the bloody thing was announced but still nothing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

This looks a lot like Scratch, doesn't it?

Glad to see Google making code easier to pick up.
    Most of the new apps built with it will be crap, but hopefully more experienced developers will improve on the ideas presented. I just hope I don't run into 'Pet the Kitty' on my next market spree.

Woohoo! Finally got my invite last night but I havent had a chance to play with it yet. Should be fun once I actually get around to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

At last! Just got my access email. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Zagato wrote: »
    On the downside it's probably going to lead to tens of thousands of utterly rubbish apps, which will make browsing the market more frustrating

I guess it's a way for Android to catch up on the Apple AppStore

oh so this was released since android came out - because the market is like this now.

oh and spammers will gladly pay the 25 dollars - it will be paid back to them in no time.

but the benefits far outweigh the above points - i havent used mine yet - should check it out before i actual go deeper into android dev proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Has anyone else had problems connecting to a Desire in the block manager? I can see the ADB drivers are installed OK on my device manager but still can't connect... and the emulator is so slow, it's useless..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I got access this morning :D

I've just made my kitty app as a test and its all good

Time to try something else now (before i have my C programming practical at 3!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

JustinOval wrote: »
    Has anyone else had problems connecting to a Desire in the block manager? I can see the ADB drivers are installed OK on my device manager but still can't connect... and the emulator is so slow, it's useless..

You only need to start the emulator once, dont keep closing it and restarting it.

Advertisement