Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ENDGAME CIE - The Worst Public Transport Provider in Europe Dies Here.

Options
  • 20-10-2009 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Reading over some of the damning information coming to light about how out of control the Beast of Tara Street really is - I would like to open a thread which we can all make suggestions to end the disaster known as CIE.

1) Split it into 3 companies dealing with Railways, Dublin Bus, Urban Bus Services (all other cities and towns), Provicial Bus Services. All completly independent public service providers answering directly to the a new Public Transport Agency which will cordinate all services and intergration, performance targets between all public transport operators.

2) Have all bus operators in all towns share the same bus stop. The sitution here in Tubbercurry whereby the CIE bus serves the centre of the town and the independent bus companies banished to the margins and backroads is common in many towns and this has to end. There is one priviso; They all have their timetables posted at the bus stop - NOT JUST THE ex-CIE SERVICES. In many provincial towns the number of bus services would double and triple at the main bus stops if this simple measure was undertaken. It would be a simple form of intergration which would cost nothing except making a handful of CIE fruitcake fanatics huffy.

3) Create a Statutory Public Transport Users group made up of commuters and not directors of companies, senators, bankers and TCD professors.

OK your turn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Get someone who runs a Swiss transport company to come in and take it over. Free range to make whatever changes they feel are necessary bar wholesale closures of routes that rural communities rely on as their only link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

defo agree with OP's suggestions . we need fresh faces in irish public transport people who actually know how to run a public transport system would be a good start .

but not sure if there if there is a fix that could be implemented by anyone brought in to replace the existing management due to current economic climate but sorting some of the below would be a good start :

you just need to look at the last few years to see how badly things are going
    weekend services suspended for almost a year so they can extend platforms and still most of the darts are too short to fit commuters in without them effectively being cattle carts ( suggestion : more carriages on trains )

the new automatic ticket checking machines , great in big stations like connolly and tara street . rubbish in grand canal dock ! try getting out of that place if 2 darts come in at the same time :mad:hope your not in any rush !!! ( scarp this rediculas waste of money and invest properly )

express commuter trains from rosslare to dublin( and vice versa ) , generally full after kilcoole (or pearse if your going the other way) because on a regular basis there only 3-4 carriages long instead of " as Irishrail insist 5-6 carriages long " ( same suggestion as first point : more carriages on trains )

the Dart "Cops" , generally seen swanning about or flirting with young women , cant say I've ever seen one of these guys remove someone from a train , be it scumbag , junkie or drunken yob ( suggestion : do your jobs ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I know little about the railways so can't really comment but have long observed the bus operation in Ireland. Many valid points have already been raised. Some of my suggestions now follow:

One transport authority for the entire country overseeing all transport issues; for example licensing, ticketing, timekeeping targets, vehicle standards, timetabling with any interested parties on board

Review the express services and increase their attractiveness by not serving every town and village end to end. Use motorways as much as possible. By all means serve main towns and have reliable services feeding to and from them. Feeder services could also apply to the railways.

The OP suggested all operators on a route to serve the same stop- fair point, if this is not possible then an agreed street/s in the affected town's centres.

Have each City's services including run by one part of the company each with their own branding on the same base livery, for example that county's own colours and renamed Cork Bus, Limerick Bus, Sligo Bus and so on. Review what services can become part of Dublin Bus (for example Ashbourne even if is an express between the M50 and the City Centre).

That leaves Express and Local/Commuter routes. These should be operated by another group of drivers with buses liveried appropriately for either Express or Local Commuter.

Ensure there is a place for private operators, although I'm not really in favour of two operators traversing the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

RadioCity wrote: »
    I'm not really in favour of two operators traversing the same route.

I disagree with you on this. There is now, and there certainly will be when the motorways are built, more than enough business for more than one operator. In fact, the more competition on these routes the better for passengers. (Galway->Dublin, for example, currently has 3 competing services, Galway->Shannon and Galway->Limerick/Cork has 2).

A certain Mr McCarthy, you may recall, has advocated flogging off Bus Eireann expressway. I don't think this will happen, but if it did, it would want to be done properly, so that you didn't get monopolies on certain routes jacking up prices.

BTW OP, I don't think you will get many changes in CIE without there being changes in the mentality in the Department of Transport. My number one proposal there is:

Make everybody in the Department, from the Minister down, come to work on Public Transport.

You'll find that this will focus minds fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Reading over some of the damning information coming to light about how out of control the Beast of Tara Street really is - I would like to open a thread which we can all make suggestions to end the disaster known as CIE.

1) Split it into 3 companies dealing with Railways, Dublin Bus, Urban Bus Services (all other cities and towns), Provicial Bus Services. All completly independent public service providers answering directly to the a new Public Transport Agency which will cordinate all services and intergration, performance targets between all public transport operators.

2) Have all bus operators in all towns share the same bus stop. The sitution here in Tubbercurry whereby the CIE bus serves the centre of the town and the independent bus companies banished to the margins and backroads is common in many towns and this has to end. There is one priviso; They all have their timetables posted at the bus stop - NOT JUST THE ex-CIE SERVICES. In many provincial towns the number of bus services would double and triple at the main bus stops if this simple measure was undertaken. It would be a simple form of intergration which would cost nothing except making a handful of CIE fruitcake fanatics huffy.

3) Create a Statutory Public Transport Users group made up of commuters and not directors of companies, senators, bankers and TCD professors.

OK your turn.
    change the record for christs sake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

good to see a sligo man starting a post,

quite simply drop them, provide rular transport through support to private bus operators, and let someone take over irish rail,

for instance if i travel from galway to dublin
    1. if i fly with aer arann the govt are subsiding it,
    2. if i go with bus eireann the govt are subsiding it,
    3. if i go on the train the gov aresub......

4. i could go with citylink and have free wifi!!

now 4 is where i am,

nuts to be subsidinh travel cometing with each other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

gally74 wrote: »
    good to see a sligo man starting a post,

quite simply drop them, provide rular transport through support to private bus operators, and let someone take over irish rail,

for instance if i travel from galway to dublin
    1. if i fly with aer arann the govt are subsiding it,
    2. if i go with bus eireann the govt are subsiding it,
    3. if i go on the train the gov aresub......

4. i could go with citylink and have free wifi!!

now 4 is where i am,

nuts to be subsidinh travel cometing with each other

BE is not subsidised for its Expressway services but for the local services.

The level of service on the route is unsustainable in the long run and one or other of the operators will give way eventually - there are currently 60 return bus journeys per day, 30 non-stop and 30 stopping.

I think that the OP is being a little unfair here. Certainly the principal problem in the case of the buses is not primarily either CIE, Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann but rather the Department of Transport and its archaic licensing regime which has delayed many service improvements, and also political interference which left heavily loss making bus routes still operating carrying thin air over the years.

Bus Eireann came out of the recent Deloitte study as being efficient and on a par with other major operators, which would leave you to believe that by and large they are getting it right, while Dublin Bus is now embarking on an eighteen month route network and timetable overhaul that will hopefully see a far more customer minded service develop. This has already started with the rollout of routes such as the 128, 140, 145 and 151 that are direct and high frequency. A new network spider map is in the pipeline and the rollout of new bus stops in the city centre with better information is continuing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

KC61 wrote: »
    ...Dublin Bus is now embarking on an eighteen month route network and timetable overhaul that will hopefully see a far more customer minded service develop. This has already started with the rollout of routes such as the 128, 140, 145 and 151 that are direct and high frequency. A new network spider map is in the pipeline and the rollout of new bus stops in the city centre with better information is continuing.

It's all for nothing if they don't get rid of this ridiculous, archaic, time consuming business of buses sitting at busy, congested bus stops for five or six minutes conducting endless revenue collection. Buses should pull in, all doors open, disgorge, load instantly, and pull out, in an average of 15 seconds, and a maximum of 30 seconds. That would do wonders for their efficiency, and the traffic flow of the whole city. I don't care how they collect their revenue, that is the kind of target they need to set themselves, and reorganise their revenue collection accordingly.

If they won't tackle that, then they are not getting the benefit of rescheduling buses and introducing new timetables. All they are doing is moving the deckchairs. This revenue collection FARCE is the single biggest anachronism in the company, contributing more to their inefficiency, to delays, to fleet size, to extra staff requirements, to costs, to loss of potential patronage, than anything else in the whole system. Why can't they seem to realise this? And before you mention the word, this should apply across the board to private operators too.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

Fare collection methods are a good point, but in order for any proper changes to take place in this regard, I would be of the opinion that cash fare collection & prepaid ticket control must be under one decision maker, not split between the Dept. of Transport & Dublin Bus... either full control or no control.

H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Most of these suggestions are either in last year's Dublin Transport Authority act or this year's Public Transport Regulation Bill which has passed all stages in the Oireachtas and is awaiting the president's signature.
    1) Split it into 3 companies dealing with Railways, Dublin Bus, Urban Bus Services (all other cities and towns), Provicial Bus Services. All completely independent public service providers answering directly to the a new Public Transport Agency which will cordinate all services and intergration, performance targets between all public transport operators.
    Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and Irish Rail are already split and reporting to one authority - CIE. Obviously it's not working and the new system will have all organisations under the National Transport Authority which will be separate from the Department of Transport. All transport companies including the state dinosaurs will in future have to compete with private operators for licences to operate on all routes. The incumbents get 2 years grace but after that anybody can bid for and then run anything as far as I can see.
    This makes sense and is in section 62 of the DTA Act 2008
    The Transport authority council provides for 4 representatives (out of 24). Those representatives are drawn from recommendations of transport user groups. It's not great - for example ICTU and business people get 4 reps between them - but it's a start and better than nothing.

IE and Dublin Bus and BE have not failed because they are evil organisations run by wasters. They have failed because they have been set up to as companies owned by the minister with a permanent licence to operate regardless of service level. They are rewarded for meeting the short terms aims of politicians rather than serving the public. The management get the same pay for running a good or a bad service. They are only really penalised for politically embarrassing their minister. SO naturally their efforts are focused on avoiding strikes and running disused services in amrginal constituencies.

This is how we end up with a 100 seater bus with one door for exit and entry and this is how we end up with rude staff and abysmal reliability.

I am optimistic that in the future, the DTA may hand over a lucrative route like the 46A to a company that makes a better bid promising for example to give change to customers or to provide buses with 3 doors or to improve on the reliability of the previous operator. I hope the old incumbents will then be sold off or allowed to wither away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

crocro wrote: »
    Most of these suggestions are either in last year's Dublin Transport Authority act or this year's Public Transport Regulation Bill which has passed all stages in the Oireachtas and is awaiting the president's signature. Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and Irish Rail are already split and reporting to one authority - CIE. Obviously it's not working and the new system will have all organisations under the National Transport Authority which will be separate from the Department of Transport. All transport companies including the state dinosaurs will in future have to compete with private operators for licences to operate on all routes. The incumbents get 2 years grace but after that anybody can bid for and then run anything as far as I can see.

Tops! Delighted to see this finally happening. The only thing is WILL it happen.

change the record for christs sake

What happened? Did the CIE canteen run out of Crunchie bars and you could only get 6 of the 10 shop stewards to agree to an all out naional transport strike until the issues was resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

What happened? Did the CIE canteen run out of Crunchie bars and you could only get 6 of the 10 shop stewards to agree to an all out naional transport strike until the issues was resolved?
    it was seven shop stewards by the way;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Most of these suggestions are either in last year's Dublin Transport Authority act or this year's Public Transport Regulation Bill which has passed all stages in the Oireachtas and is awaiting the president's signature. Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and Irish Rail are already split and reporting to one authority - CIE. Obviously it's not working and the new system will have all organisations under the National Transport Authority which will be separate from the Department of Transport. All transport companies including the state dinosaurs will in future have to compete with private operators for licences to operate on all routes. The incumbents get 2 years grace but after that anybody can bid for and then run anything as far as I can see.

The Transport authority council provides for 4 representatives (out of 24). Those representatives are drawn from recommendations of transport user groups. It's not great - for example ICTU and business people get 4 reps between them - but it's a start and better than nothing.

IE and Dublin Bus and BE have not failed because they are evil organisations run by wasters. They have failed because they have been set up to as companies owned by the minister with a permanent licence to operate regardless of service level. They are rewarded for meeting the short terms aims of politicians rather than serving the public. The management get the same pay for running a good or a bad service. They are only really penalised for politically embarrassing their minister. SO naturally their efforts are focused on avoiding strikes and running disused services in amrginal constituencies.

This is how we end up with a 100 seater bus with one door for exit and entry and this is how we end up with rude staff and abysmal reliability.

I am optimistic that in the future, the DTA may hand over a lucrative route like the 46A to a company that makes a better bid promising for example to give change to customers or to provide buses with 3 doors or to improve on the reliability of the previous operator. I hope the old incumbents will then be sold off or allowed to wither away.

I don't share your optimism.

For a start, while DB, BE and IE are 3 seperate companies, they must receive approval from the CIE board, hence John Lynch popping up to discuss rail and bus issues. The DTA bill does not provide for the abolition of CIE. This was most recently announced by the late Seamus Brennan in 2003, The result? All out warfare from the CIE group. Since then, nothing. The questions that need to be asked are why are CIE companies and their unions so protective of CIE as an entity? What purpose does John Lynch and his board fulfill?

As for public representation on the DTA, the council idea has already failed in the selection process. The guidelines for inclusion specifically called for a recognised qualification or experience in public transport. This means that it will be dominated by quango and agenda filled reps from organisations that have no direct link to everyday users. While in my submission to the DTA bill, I outlined the importance of having public representative bodies included in the decision making process, I believe the actual incarnation is far too diluted to deliver anything groundbreaking. Realistically the Dublin Cycling Campaign and Rail Users Ireland (formerly Platform 11), as two examples, should have a seat at the table. I doubt they will. I was invited to apply, but since I no longer work with RUI, I deemed it pointless, assuming they would nominate an existing committee member.

Add to the mix, the recently stated "national" aspect of this authority and its hard to be positive. My bottom line lies with CIE and its utterly pointless existance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Derek - at least you were invited to apply - I guess my invite went astray in the post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

CroCro was flying in thst post until the bit about change.....:o

Huge and very valid point regarding the single door issue,although to be fair to Bus Atha Cliath,their single door specification was arrived at after much consideration of alternatives.

One of the greatest sources of complaint in the UK during the initial phase of the "Accessible" Low-Floor Bus was the lack of seating in the lower saloon on the "London Standard" Bus Types.

In some cases the UK models could only manage 12-16 seats for the many older,infirm but NOT disabled customers and this resulted in a very poor initial impression of the Low-Floor concept.

Bus Atha Cliath`s reasoning was to maximise the seating capacity in the lower saloon whilst retaining the Wheelchair Space as required by the various accessibility leglislation acts.

The single door also maximises Driver monitoring of fare tendering and ticket use.
    Whilst I would strongly agree with a multi-door policy,that can only be realized IF we move to completely cash-free operations a la London Central Zone.

There is NO place for continuing or propagating any expansion of cash transactions.
    Yet again here we see the Department of Transport spending some €30 Million on an Integrated Ticketing Project which after some 4 years has yet to produce a single example of a functional product.

This accounts for the piecemeal introduction of the Bus Atha Cliath "Smartcard" which really does need some hard marketing,but which remains deliberately low-key as the required Departmental sanction for "New" products is not yet forthcoming.

Basically as it stands,Bus Atha Cliath may not introduce any SmartCard enabled New Product,but instead may only supplement or replace a pre-existing Magnetic Strip product.

Even then,the travelling public can be remarkably reluctant to adopt "New Fangled" stuff.....

I have often pointed out to customers who regularly queue to fumble and pay a €2.20 cash fare morning and evening that bthey can make that same journey for €1.80,IF they purchase a Travel90,which then can also be used several times within the 90 min window....but an incredible amount simply shrug their shoulders and say..."ah sure I`d keep losing it" or "ah sure them yokes never work..."

Public Transport options in Dublin HAVE become far better in the past decade but we have failed to keep that momentum going and to develop our options at a fast enough pace.

Now,with the slide into a deep depression we see Public Transport now being focused on as an area in which cuts can be made...talk about short-sightedness....another strongpoint of Irish Public Administration !!

At some point the Minister for Transport and his Departmental clique needed to be given a very firm "Boot up the Transom" in relation to making real change possible...it never came and most likely now,never will.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Double tracks to sligo. Why on earth wasnt this implemented on the transport 21 scheme, I dont know. A single line to sligo is just not good enough. It was fine when there was only 3 trains a day to sligo, but tring to cram 8 intercitys a day plus many more commuter trains to longford is just not going to work. 40 minute delays are not unusual on this route. The sligo line is the poor relation to all the other dublin lines, its well time that was fixed

The town of Sligo has a population of approx 20,000 - hardly a city - and there is no earthly way that you could justify doubling the line on that basis. You're lucky to still have a railway to Sligo at all and you might not have had it had some of us not kicked up a fuss about it in the 1990s when closure looked possible. I still have fond memories of marching from Connolly to the Dail behind a pipe band to protest and, yes, we travelled up by train not car! A proper train of MkII carriages with decent seating, large tables and even a buffet car! If you want to improve the Sligo rail service you want to improve the rolling stock not double the track.

While doubling the entire line would be overkill, a few dynamic loops (in other words extended passing loops) on the Sligo, Galway, Mayo and Waterford lines would not go amiss in order to minimise delays caused by trains running late.

• Advertisement

it was seven shop stewards by the way;)

What happened the others? Another SIPTU/NBRU golfing forthnight "The Jim Larkin Gold Cup Classic" being held in Bali this year?

landyman wrote: »
    Double tracks to sligo. Why on earth wasnt this implemented on the transport 21 scheme, I dont know. A single line to sligo is just not good enough. It was fine when there was only 3 trains a day to sligo, but tring to cram 8 intercitys a day plus many more commuter trains to longford is just not going to work. 40 minute delays are not unusual on this route. The sligo line is the poor relation to all the other dublin lines, its well time that was fixed

The Sligo line beyond Maynooth is a poor passenger puller - it carries no more passengers than a British rural branch line. The double track to Maynooth is fine.

You can get up to 20 trains going in both directions an hour if you have the right signalling and 2 passing loops and train drivers not terrified of normal operational speeds and work. The Swiss do this all the time.

The lack of frequency of services on our mostly single track network is down to two technical issues:

• Irish Rail Managers and Technical Staff are living in 1930's Uganda
    • Irish Rail Unions think they are living in 1917 St Petersburg.

Nothing to do with infrastructure and everthing to do with the title of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

DWCommuter wrote: »
    ...All out warfare from the CIE group. Since then, nothing.
    As we are now up the creek, the power of the unions is greatly weakened. There will be little public sympathy and the government will face them down.
    The questions that need to be asked are why are CIE companies and their unions so protective of CIE as an entity? What purpose does John Lynch and his board fulfill?
    Unions are naturally conservative and wouldn't want job losses or even changed working arrangements in any of the government owned transport companies. The unions are doing what they should do: maximising benefits for their members. They can't be expected to bat for the passenger - that's not their job.

CIE is caught between a rock and a hard place. They're meant to run the service efficiently for the customers, but they are under constant pressure from their sole shareholder, the minister, to run the service for politicial expediency. The solution is some form of separation of powers.
    As for public representation on the DTA, the council idea has already failed in the selection process. The guidelines for inclusion specifically called for a recognised qualification or experience in public transport. This means that it will be dominated by quango and agenda filled reps from organisations that have no direct link to everyday users. While in my submission to the DTA bill, I outlined the importance of having public representative bodies included in the decision making process, I believe the actual incarnation is far too diluted to deliver anything groundbreaking. Realistically the Dublin Cycling Campaign and Rail Users Ireland (formerly Platform 11), as two examples, should have a seat at the table. I doubt they will. I was invited to apply, but since I no longer work with RUI, I deemed it pointless, assuming they would nominate an existing committee member.
    I'm also disappointed by the make up of the council. Particularly there is no need for worker or employer side cartel made men from IBEC or ICTU. But is still better than what went before. RUI and DCC are tiny groups little known to most passengers or cyclists so I don't know that handing them all the representation is right. A better approach might be to randomly select a jury from the list of those with annual travel passes - the average guy or girl who uses public transport every day.
    Add to the mix, the recently stated "national" aspect of this authority and its hard to be positive. My bottom line lies with CIE and its utterly pointless existance.
    What's wrong with a national authority? Bus services in the towns outside Dublin are very poor and often forgotten. As for CIE, they will have to compete for their subsidies in future against private operators and will have to reform or die.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    In some cases the UK models could only manage 12-16 seats for the many older,infirm but NOT disabled customers and this resulted in a very poor initial impression of the Low-Floor concept.
    Is 12-16 seats for the infirm not plenty? A decent bus service would attract the general public rather than just the old, the sick, the infirm. Able-bodied people can go upstairs or stand. Lots of other cities have multi-door buses.
    The single door also maximises Driver monitoring of fare tendering and ticket use.
    Clearly asking the driver to issue tickets and change and catch fare dodgers slows the service up enormously. Imagine if every luas passenger had to squeeze through one door and have a chat with the driver on the way in. Yet often a bus carries more passengers than a luas. Put a ticket machine at every second stop, more doors, more inspectors, end of problem.
    Yet again here we see the Department of Transport spending some €30 Million on an Integrated Ticketing Project which after some 4 years has yet to produce a single example of a functional product.
    There are contactless cards in use on bus tram and soon on the train. So I think it's going somewhere. Other posters in this forum have outlined how a lot of the problem with integrated ticketing is getting separate transport companies to agree how to divvy up the fare revenue. I hope in future that agreeing to revenue sharing will be a prerequisite for getting your transport licence renewed.
    Even then,the travelling public can be remarkably reluctant to adopt "New Fangled" stuff.....

I have often pointed out to customers who regularly queue to fumble and pay a €2.20 cash fare morning and evening that bthey can make that same journey for €1.80,IF they purchase a Travel90,which then can also be used several times within the 90 min window....but an incredible amount simply shrug their shoulders and say..."ah sure I`d keep losing it" or "ah sure them yokes never work..."
    If there was an option to pay the luas driver double fair for cash rather than use the machine you can bet the tram would be delayed all day by lonely people who prefer to deal face to face. The answer is to take away the option.
    Now,with the slide into a deep depression we see Public Transport now being focused on as an area in which cuts can be made...talk about short-sightedness....another strongpoint of Irish Public Administration !!
    A recession may be the only chance to get reforms made to public transport. I see this time as a golden opportunity for change. Cutting expenditure on a public transport may improve the service to the general public. A lot of the money in the past has been spent on running disused empty buses and trains or on paying Dart drivers 60 grand to push a button or on allowing layers of staff to build up and slow everything down. This tends to happen in all organisations but in state owned companies it's usually politically impossible for reform.

What's wrong with a national authority?

Because this is Ireland and we'll absolutely end up with a priest from Mayo demanding a TGV to Knock at the expense of something as basic as proper bus-rail integration within the East Leinster region.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I hope in future that agreeing to revenue sharing will be a prerequisite for getting your transport licence renewed.

Absolutely. All licensed services should be required to take rambler tickets and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

On the Swords Express, we were very anxious to take rambler tickets and other types of Dublin Bus tickets, but Dublin Bus (in conjunction with the Department of Transport, it seems) would not countenance any arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The town of Sligo has a population of approx 20,000 - hardly a city - and there is no earthly way that you could justify doubling the line on that basis. You're lucky to still have a railway to Sligo at all and you might not have had it had some of us not kicked up a fuss about it in the 1990s when closure looked possible.

It is attitudes like this which really annoy me. The standard of public transport in this country is a shambles. As for the closure of certain lines, this is a disgrace when you consider the transportation systems of other countries. In the last century many new lines have been built in other countries and cities while in this backward country we have buried and dismantled lines.

It is attitudes like this which really annoy me. The standard of public transport in this country is a shambles. As for the closure of certain lines, this is a disgrace when you consider the transportation systems of other countries. In the last century many new lines have been built in other countries and cities while in this backward country we have buried and dismantled lines.

Sorry - could you be more specific? If you examine any of my previous posts on these boards you will not find anybody more in favour of sensible rail development. For instance I would consider reopening Inny Junction/Cavan to be a much more worthwhile project than doubling Maynooth/Sligo.:)

For the love of God you are not paying attention to what the man is saying and what most people on this board are trying to express.

The reason why we have a public transport system in Ireland which is a "shambles" is because CIE and their Consorts in the DoT do not know the difference between providing public transport as a tokenist concept (neither do you it would seem), and providing PUBLIC TRANSPORT SERVICES.

It is akin to a dairy producing liter sized milk bottles with only a few spoonfuls of milk in each bottle and then claiming the only way they can get more milk in the bottle is by getting more delivery trucks. That's how distorted the CIE concept of public transport services is, and how people like you have bought into the same crap. It's not about more kit and new tracks and trains - it's about making the stuff (which is 90% world class and modern) they already have be maximised to its full potential, and the unions/managers in CIE - DO THEIR BLOODY JOBS WE PAY THEM TO DO.

The very idea of double the track on the Sligo line past Maynooth is absolutely psychotic beyond even the lunacy of the Western Rail Corridor and the fact that you can't see this shows that the so called ones demanding world class public transport in Ireland are just as clueless as the culprits they point the finger at. They have extra platforms recently built at Mullingar and they do not even use that. Complete waste of taxpayers money. A platform which is unused is not public transport...it is an unused platform. Fill it with trains and commuters and it is a SERVICE. Do you see how that works?

Sligo is a small town of about 19,000 people and it is already serviced by a completely adequet and world class, state-of-the-art infrastructure and rolling stock. The Sligo line would be the envy of the Swiss network in terms of its modernisation. The only difference is any Swiss rail operater would have it filled with Inter-City, regional and Commuter shuttles with connecting buses, and freight trains would be using it late at night. Here it lies idle most of the day the CIE buses do not connect with it and The Lynch Mob and the rest of them are rattling the poor box down at Kildare Street so they can build skyscrapers above Tara Street and you cannot drive a train for CIE unless your mother was impregnated by a CIE train driver and you have at least 50% CIE DNA in you.

CIE is the problem, always has been, always will be. The Beast Must be Destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

One good start would be if our transport providers didn't have to kow-tow to every parish pump politician.

Advertisement