Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Books vs. Kindle App?

Options
  • 01-09-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting my first ebook and am wondering what is the best app to do it through? I have Google Books and the Kindle App on my phone (good screen size- 5"). I like the fact that you can use Paypal on Google but Kindle seems to be what most people use. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Comments

That's like asking which shop should I buy my milk in? Aldi or Lidl? You should go in to both and see which is cheapest, and likewise when buying ebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Make sure the screen is big enough because a small screen will destroy your eyesight. Always opensource too for me, but thats a personal choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No idea which app is most user friendly, but if they have similar features then cheaper is probably way to go. Maybe If you don't mind having both apps, just go between the two depending on price of each book you want to buy ? Lots of other ebook apps on play store to try too, and pick one you get on with.

I don't think I'd enjoy the experience of reading a book on a phone, or tablet for that matter, stand alone ebook reader is way to go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Prices are very similar- kindle app is in sterling, google books in euro. Just wondering if kindle has a bigger selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Prices are very similar- kindle app is in sterling, google books in euro. Just wondering if kindle has a bigger selection?

Google Books supports .ePub format, while Kindle supports .mobi mainly, but both support pdf.

ePub format eBooks are widely available, whilst .mobi are generally just for Kindle, but there are converters available, like the famous Calibre, which can convert either way.

There are simple ePub to mobi, like this one:

http://download.cnet.com/EPUB-to-MOBI/3000-2125_4-75613706.html

and vise versa, google will be your friend.

There are on-line converters, where you upload and get back a mobi [or epub], like these:

http://www.epub2mobi.com/

http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting my first ebook and am wondering what is the best app to do it through? I have Google Books and the Kindle App on my phone (good screen size- 5"). I like the fact that you can use Paypal on Google but Kindle seems to be what most people use. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

The best eBook reader app by far (in my opinion, and I've tried most of them!) is FB Reader.

For me it's key features are:

Choose any font size you like - unlike some other readers that give you two or three options

Choose any margin size you like - if, like me, you read on devices with a dark bezel (Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Tab 3 8.0") you can set the margins to zero when in night-mode and you'll be getting much more text-per-page than on a reader app with fixed margins. If you have a device with white bezel you could do the same whilst in day-mode.

Control brightness by simply running your finger up or down the left-hand edge of the screen - handy when reading in varying light!

Sync books and bookmarks etc between devices - FB Reader has the ability to sync your collection across devices via fbreader.org (uses google drive by default, but can be configured for other cloud services)

Great search function within both books and library

Very accurate and realistic text-to-speech engine plug-in(free) - also allows you to install and configure additional voice packs - the best I've found is "Ivona Text to Speech Engine" - Free! And the best voice-pack (in my opinion) is "Ivona Amy - English UK" - also free!

Plus many other features that don't immediately come to mind!

As it's free I'd recommend you give it a try - Once you're familiar with it I doubt you'll switch to anything else!!

PS, I'm not connected to the developers :):)

Advertisement