Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Co. Down newspapers

• 25-08-2014 10:16pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is something that a Google search should give me good results on, but it isn't and I know some on here have spent a lot more time in libraries doing the difficult research than I have, so:

Does anyone know if there are easily accessible archives of any Co. Down newspapers from the late 19th century? I've got a feeling the Down/Downpatrick Recorder is the best bet but I can't locate anywhere other than Queens that has microfilm of it.

I've a direct ancestor who was the sergeant (and very possibly only officer at all - in 1911 the station had two) in Strangford RIC station and I think the local paper can possibly confirm or refute a family myth about his service record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

The NLI Newsplan database should be able to point you in the right direction. Make sure to tick the "Include titles from the Newsplan Project not held by the NLI" box.

I'm not too savvy with NI libraries but their county/district library should have copies, probably PRONI too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The NLI have the Down recorder on microfilm back to 1878, published Downpatrick. They also have a few others that might help ...they had a downloadable index on pdf available - If I can find a link I'll post as it's handy to have for quick searches

found a direct link for that index : NewspaperList_2006_Uploaded20071122.pdf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Time to take a [very] long lunchbreak over at the NLI. I presume there's no indexes for the content on the films?

I know there's no need for a reader card for newspapers but I should probably get one while I'm at it; I want to take a look at some estate papers.

the films should be in the same sequence as they were published, in page order. It can be mind numbing work scanning newspapers...

• Advertisement

forgot to say - when you start with a new paper, take a few mins. get to know the layout of an edition, makes them easier to scan through quickly - e.g. which pages generally show the international news, local news, courts, marriage & death notices etc. The format usually stays the roughly the same, at least for a while in most cases. There can be a lot of adverts, and there may be a section of posting and transfers for army, coastguards and police, which might help for your search.

I think it varies as to how many years you get on each film - might depend on how frequent the newspaper was published.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I always get really bogged down in local news and ads for soap. Very distracting!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I always get really bogged down in local news and ads for soap. Very distracting!

That's part of the fun.

That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
    Was more important? I inclined
    To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
    Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
    He said: I made the Iliad from such
    A local row. Gods make their own importance.

Not -of course-that I am implying you are a goddess, Pinky! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

If it's south Down you're looking for, Newry library has 2 microfilm readers at the back of the 3rd floor, with about half a dozen newspapers, mostly the Newry Reporter and the Newry Telegraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

shanew wrote: »
    found a direct link for that index : NewspaperList_2006_Uploaded20071122.pdf

Thanks for that link Shane, although some hard copies are withdrawn some have been microfilmed and some not as yet. However, I see a couple of publications I would like to check out and they are thankfully microfilmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Would you try the National Library and Trinity College Library in Dublin? I'm sure they would have all Northern newspapers, at least up to 1922, probably later too.

Advertisement