Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heading to Indonesia

• 17-06-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to Indonesia in August! I would like to get some surfing in while I'm there. I can surf, but I've only surfed my longboard the last 2 years (can surf shortboards but i'd be rusty).

I'm looking for recommendations for places with waves that wouldn't be too hectic. Also I wouldn't mind heading to places that had world class waves that I could go and watch people surfing.

Im sure some of you guys have travelled there before? Any tips? Im travelling alone for the first time so Im obviously a little apprehensive.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tigerballs

I heard good things about Nick and his place at wavegurubali.com if you are wanting a surfing holiday
    about 50 euros per night gets you an air conditioned room, 3 square meals and 2 guided surf trips each day. Nick, the bloke who runs this place prides it on being a 'barrel university rather than a surf school'. His wife Dee was on Indo Master Chef, so the food is phenomenal! Well worth checking out if you want a budget trip with the main focus to improve your surfing!

Otherwise the chillhouse is supposed to be very good over towards Canngu which is a bit out of the way if you are after the night life..chilled is the name of the game there..

For the budget minded backpacker surf you can't beat poppies 1 or 2 for accom if you ask around 8 euro a night without rats' plenty of bars and kuta legion for surf .never know who you will bump into there! board rental on the beach all there too easy. the waves will change with the tides and will be walking distance from poppies. avoid the crowds and if the swell is pumping it gets dangerous with rips.

Enjoy you're going at a good time of year..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Cheers for the advice! I'm going to be taking it easy over there anyway. It's really just going to be a chilled month, see all the culture and scenic stuff, some surfing and just relaxing.

I hadn't really planned on surf camps but not that I think about it, they could probably show me the more mellow waves around.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 djjdomahony

Great spot mate. You have a good few spots that dont get to hairy. First off Kuta beach. Very beginner friendly. On the Buckit peninsula you have padang padang. There is 3 different waves at this beach. 2 can get hary but the break just in front of the beach is beginner friendly. Enjoy and dont forget to hit alleycats up for a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

Ive been to Bali 4 times and been surfing a good few years now, and one thing that is alarming is the quality of surfing over there compared to here, its a different level. If you were a beginner who can just about get up on turn on a shortboard, the bukit peninsula isn't really for you. Padang padang is very shallow, very quick and always crowded. Dreamland is a fun wave, beach/rock bottom but deep water. If you're looking to learn to surf but want a great night out kuta and legian are ideal, but if you want to get somewhere out of the way and very mellow id recommend Medewi further west. I was there last September and was loads of fun, albeit a bit fat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I suppose for reference this is the level I'm at.. This was two years ago but I've been consistent with this but somewhat better with turns etc..

Its more of a confidence block I have especially when the waves get up around chest-head high.

Again ill know when I look at the waves whether or not I could handle them. Knowing a few places before I go is handy.

• Advertisement

Enjoy it mate

You will have a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

looking good, alot better than some people i saw out there! id still recommend going to medewi for a starter session. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I only know Bali, It's good craic there alright,, the only place I was nearly killed on a motorbike (was travelling for 18 months) Very dangerous on a bike.. but they have little side sections for your board which is cool,, Full of Aussies and I got the impression alot of the locals don't really like outsiders even though all of Bali relies on tourism.. Good surf every day,, but water can be filthy I noticed anyway,, but I'm nit picking,, over all keep your wits about you,, out at sea and on land,, rip off culture everywhere,, I stayed in a nice B&B run by these Aussie blokes,, http://theislandhotelbali.com/ they know their surf and it's great for meeting other people.. Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 darragh97

Was there in june of last summer, if you want the hectic nightlife and a plethora of crowded waves, stick to kuta/legian area, if youre looking for a bit more chilled and more longboard friendly waves, check out Canguu, i stayed in a place called Homestay Bali Starling, about 5 minutes by bike from echo beach , which is generally less crowded. You wont really go wrong with accomadation anywhere, obviously cross check first with tripadvisor etc... Also worth a look is Nusa Lembongan, tiny island that has very uncrowded breaks in comaparison to mainland Bali... above all enjoy yourself ya lucky ba****** :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement