Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Claremont Court, Glasnevin, Dublin 11

• 04-04-2013 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

We're hoping to buy a house on Claremont Court, Glasnevin. What's the area like? I have heard mixed opinions and find it hard to make a decision. The street itself looks lovely but what about others streets around it!? Whats the neighbourhood like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Claremont court used to be the drug capitol when I was a kid. Its still a bit rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Dubwat

bombidol wrote: »
    Claremont court used to be the drug capitol when I was a kid. Its still a bit rough.
    Wish someone had told me when I grew up there!! Have you any links to news stories about drug dealing/dealers in the estate?

OP, it's a very quiet estate. There's 4 bus routes (I think) that pass by the front of the estate. O'Connell St is walkable in about 20mins. Depending on your age, the Gravediggers, Brian Boru, Botanic House, & the Porterhouse are within staggering distance.

2 things to watch out for:
    1. The houses are getting on a bit so check if the roof has been repaired/replaced. Lots and lots of houses have had to get this done.

2. On my side of the estate, the sewage pipes were not the correct size so once a year, we had to pay a drainage company to clear the sewers. I think it was only a tenner per house? The sewage pipe runs underneath the gardens so the Council said it's not their problem. But they own the pipes so we couldn't fix it ourselves. (*I'm not technical and I'm writing from memory so I could be wrong on this point*)

Clareville! apologies! Clareville was a kip. Claremont was grand. It had some of the "american" looking houses and had a load of mental hippies living in it. Clareville was rough as a badgers arse. Just google mapped it and the first picture was a woman in pajamas hanging around outside the house.

And its about 45 minutes walk to O'Connell St. If you are fit.

bombidol wrote: »
    And its about 45 minutes walk to O'Connell St. If you are fit.
    LOL, let's split the difference and say 30 mins. Cutting through Blessington Basin to Nth Frederick St will save you loads of time.

OP, you get a lot of space for your money. A lot of houses have converted their attics for a couple of extra bedrooms. Though I suppose your heating bills would be higher then? I've seen 2 houses for sale there recently and they've got a BER F-rating.

The gardens are quite small though but that wouldn't be a big deal to me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Crumpet

Ah thanks! Well, that doesn't sound too bad! Yeah, it's Clareville I was a bit worried about although people I've spoken to seem to say it's quiet enough. Thanks Dubwat, that's very useful info you've given me there!!! How did you find the area at night, walking up the Finglas road and all?

The road is actually pretty quiet

I don't live there anymore so I couldn't give you an answer about walking around at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Crumpet wrote: »
    Ah thanks! Well, that doesn't sound too bad! Yeah, it's Clareville I was a bit worried about although people I've spoken to seem to say it's quiet enough. Thanks Dubwat, that's very useful info you've given me there!!! How did you find the area at night, walking up the Finglas road and all?
    the Finglas Rd is very very quiet due to the graveyard on the right, there's petrol stations and industrial units on the left all the way upto the Tolka so apart from passing traffic on the N2 there's nothing around until you get upto the apartments where Premier Dairies used to be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is a nice estate. Good size houses that are well built. A settled mature estate that seems good value for money. It might suffer a little from it's proximity to other areas and the D11 address rather than D9 but that is reflected in the price of the properties. Some good schools close by too. Easy commute to city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have heard that the estate is nice but that the houses can be very cold, so if you are buying there you may want to consider the cost of retrofitting insulation when you make an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Crumpet

iguana wrote: »
    I have heard that the estate is nice but that the houses can be very cold, so if you are buying there you may want to consider the cost of retrofitting insulation when you make an offer.

Thanks Iguana! The house is actually not badly insulated, the attic was converted a few years ago and the BER rating isn't too bad. The house was really nicely warm and cosy every time we had a look at it (I know they could have been turning the heating up just for the viewings, you never know!), so fingers crossed we won't have to get stuck in a big insulation job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Grand estate

But there are numerous stories about the houses with back gardens near the railway line getting grief from skangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Barjim

Zamboni wrote: »
    Grand estate

But there are numerous stories about the houses with back gardens near the railway line getting grief from skangers.

I have recently bought and am due to move into one of those houses backing onto the railway line shortly!
    Would you have any more information about the nature of the grief they are getting and is this recently or in the past? I was a bit worried about the railway when I bought but was told there wasnt any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jeannetta

Barjim wrote: »
    I have recently bought and am due to move into one of those houses backing onto the railway line shortly!
    Would you have any more information about the nature of the grief they are getting and is this recently or in the past? I was a bit worried about the railway when I bought but was told there wasnt any problems.
    How do you find to live in the estate yourself so far?

Jeannetta wrote: »
    How do you find to live in the estate yourself so far?

Im there over a month now and am very happy with the place. Its seems a very quiet, settled area. The houses are big, about 1300 - 1400 sq feet. They are about 40 years old so some of them may need a bit of money spent on them. Im told they also tend to be cold in the winter so Im improving the insulation in my one.
    By the way, no problems with the railway line so far either. The houses backing onto the railway line get sun on the back all day.

Barjim, thank u so much for your reply. By the way, you don't mind light me up about the house price in that area. Going to see one today.

Jeannetta wrote: »
    Barjim, thank u so much for your reply. By the way, you don't mind light me up about the house price in that area. Going to see one today.

Houses have sold from €225,000 to €290,000 in this estate in the last 2 years. Take a look at the Property Price Register for details. It depends on how much you will need to spend on it afterwards really.

The house there are very spacious, can give us a lots space to add some we like. Also met a nice gentalman, he is so proud of his house. It is very beautful house after all the years what he has added on the house. By the way, Any idea about schools around Claremont court.

St Vincents primary school for boys is about 10 minutes walk down the road and St Columbas primary school for girls on Iona Road is about 20 minutes walk.
    Good luck with the house. If you are thinking of buying make sure you get a surveyor to check out the house first.

• Advertisement

You are very good, Barjim. Thanks a lot. It is good to have inside view from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dsouths

Been looking at a house here. Any more thoughts on the area? Any problems with "skangers" from post above?

dsouths wrote: »
    Been looking at a house here. Any more thoughts on the area? Any problems with "skangers" from post above?

The area is fine. Very quiet. All the neighbours I have met so far have been very friendly. Id imagine the 'skangers' reference probably refers to houses backing onto the railway line near Broombridge Station, which has a bad reputation for vandalism and anti social activity. I havnt had or seen any problems and I back onto the railway. Also its handy for town, Ive walked to Parnell Square in half an hour.
    One word of warning, we have discovered problems with the roof which our surveyor didnt spot and may cost quite a bit to put right. From what Ive heard roof problems are very common with these houses.

I'll get the surveyor to double check the roof then!! How much did it cost to have your roof fixed? I've heard some of the houses aren't well insulated, did you have to reinsulate? How much was this? can i ask how you find the traffic in the morning?

I'll get the surveyor to double check the roof then!! How much did it cost to have your roof fixed? I've heard some of the houses aren't well insulated, did you have to reinsulate? How much was this? can i ask how you find the traffic in the morning?

Hoping to get away with less than €2000 to fix the roof. Havnt got exact quote yet. Im getting the full insulation job, external wall, attic and zoned heating controls which will cost around 13k after grants. A neighbour told me his house was like an icebox until he got internal wall insulation. They are cavity block build so not suitable for pumped insulation.
    Traffic was quiet over the summer but there can be a bit of a backup on the Finglas Road in the morning now the schools are back, not too bad though.

That's great thanks for the info. The BER rating isn't good so I'd assume I'd have to get insulation sorted to. Are the grants easy enough to get? What sort of money are you paying for monthly gas, electricity bills to heat the house if you don't mind me asking.

That's great thanks for the info. The BER rating isn't good so I'd assume I'd have to get insulation sorted to. Are the grants easy enough to get? What sort of money are you paying for monthly gas, electricity bills to heat the house if you don't mind me asking.

You can apply for the grants online here, http://www.seai.ie/ after the job is done.
    I havnt had any heating bills yet due to the nice summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Barjim wrote: »
    One word of warning, we have discovered problems with the roof which our surveyor didnt spot and may cost quite a bit to put right. From what Ive heard roof problems are very common with these houses.
    Maybe check with someone in the legal profession if they are liable for missing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kattsmaher

Hi there, we are vewing house in Claremont this weekend, its on for 350k, has two attic rooms and the décor is ok, BER D1, is this crazy asking price, all previous properties in last last year went for between 260-280?

• Advertisement

Hi,
    It looks nice enough although 350K seems a bit high.
    The converted attic would add some value I suppose if it is usable.
    The garden also looks bigger than the normal for this estate although I think its north facing meaning very little sun on the back.
    Yes we got the full insulation job done. House is quite warm now.
    I would ask if they have any insulation if I were you.

Advertisement