Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google buys Motorola

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

Now if they can just start making phones that work.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Smart move by Google. Lots of patents and biggest Android handset seller in America.

The Droid series is very popular and they will probably integrate the "Nexus" brand into the Motorola brand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I never liked their hardware but then again, I've never used a Droid handset which seem to be rather popular in the US.
    Looking forward to seeing what they're gonna do with the Nexus brand. Probably the next or an upcoming Nexus phone will be a Motorola handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Funny. Some Moto exec was moaning about how he wished they could have gotten a deal like the Nokia-Microsoft one. Guess his wish came true.

I wonder how new Moto phones will be branded. Will they drop the Moto name completely, or keep it around. It'd probably be smart to drop it. Otherwise people may keep associating it with MotoBlur (Which will also presumably be dropped).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That makes it more than likely that MS will buy Nokia....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I predict and Android / Chrome merge where future Atrix-esque phones plug into laptops and launch Chrome in the same way the Atrix launches it's own proprietary desktop OS...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DjFlin wrote: »
    Funny. Some Moto exec was moaning about how he wished they could have gotten a deal like the Nokia-Microsoft one. Guess his wish came true.

I wonder how new Moto phones will be branded. Will they drop the Moto name completely, or keep it around. It'd probably be smart to drop it. Otherwise people may keep associating it with MotoBlur (Which will also presumably be dropped).

These 'moans' are prerehearsed its what happens during take overs to reduce speculators. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not sure we'll see much Google influence on Motorla devices, I'd say this is more to do with Google increasing its patent pool to help protect Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

draffodx wrote: »
    Not sure we'll see much Google influence on Motorla devices, I'd say this is more to do with Google increasing its patent pool to help protect Android.

I agree, considering the rampage Apple and Microsoft are on patent wise

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/strategy/item/22998-google-hits-out-at-bogus/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Google have said Moto will exist independently - the Nexus and Moto phones will compete, so on the face of it they are saying there will be no change, so the Nexus 3 (or Prime) and future devices could still be Sammy or HTC made. We'll see how that actually pans out. They have also said they have spoken to the other main Android licence holders (Samsung, HTC, LG I assume, not sure whom else) and they are all 'enthusiastic' and have been assured there will be no change to the Android strategy itself (it will remain open etc)

EDIT:

Statements from HTC et al

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-sony-ericsson-and-lg-praise-googles-17k-motorola-patent-grab-15171695/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

"Googorola"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Will be very interesting to see how it pans out.
    From a OS side it's good to see Google taking after Apple and linking the hardware to it's software. It will also be interesting to see will they start cutting other manufacturers out of early releases. They've already done it with Honeycomb 3.2..Motorola got it earlier for Xoom.

On a patent side some say that the Motorola/Nokia patents are meaningless...in fact are outdated..Nokia only received €360 million from MS for patent use which was a lot lower than they expected so they're obviously overvaluing them. However Google need all the patents they can get their hands on to combat MS/Apple etc.

Another possible gain is Microsoft could use this to start enticing Manufacturers over to Windows mobile 7. With the release of Windows 8 which is being linked across PC/Xbox/Mobile it's going to be certainly an interesting OS and potentially huge for Microsoft providing they don't screw it up. I'm an iphone user (xoom tablet owner;) ) but I'd definitely switch over to MS if WM8 crosses to all 3 successfully.

As for Apple...it's hard to say..Analysts say Apple create a new gadget approx every 3 years and the next one is due in 2013..whatever the hell it is.
    Obviously Android phones are a lot cheaper and appeal to younger ages but let's see if Apple release a pay as you go model at a reduced price.
    With their huge lead in the tablet place it's going to take another 3-5 years before someone topples them at which stage they should have something new out that no doubt will change everyone's life :D ...lol..

Advertisement