Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of companies who make Supermarket OWN BRANDS

• 01-03-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

More and more people are turning to own brands at the moment, here is a list of the companies who make supermarket own brand products.

Tesco Own brands

They say that 100 Irish companies produce some 2,000 own brand Tesco products. 98% of their customers purchase at least one own brand as part of weekly shop. Own brand household cleaning account for 63% of sales in that category.

Who makes Tesco own brand?

Glanbia – Tesco milk; Tesco butter; Tesco fromage frais
    Mannings bakery (Dublin) – Tesco apple tarts, crumble, bakewell tart and other cakes
    Hilton Foods (Drogheda) – Tesco Finest sausages, chorizo sausages, Tesco Finest Pork and Lamb products.
    Brogan’s Bakery (Galway) – Tesco muffins
    Country Crest (Lucan); Tesco roosters, kerrs pink, baby potatoes, onions, shallots and more veg.
    Gem Pack Foods Ltd – Tesco rice, sugar, currants, sultanas, raisins, almonds, hazelnuts, walnut pieces, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc,
    Catron Bros (Cavan / Dublin) – Tesco chicken ranges
    P Mulrine & sons (Donegal) – Tesco juices (ambient and chilled).
    Both Irish Pride and Bachelors also make some Tesco label products.

Superquinn

Over 2,000 own brand products are available; 95% of the fresh own label products are Irish, while over 75% of grocery own label products are sourced from Irish suppliers/producers, 100% Irish chicken only used in their ready meals. They say they have seen a 20% increase in sales on own label products in 2010 compared to 2009.

Who makes Superquinn own brand?

Johnston Mooney & O’Brien - Essentials bread
    Pat the Baker - Superquinn core bread
    Connacht Gold - butter and cream
    Bewley’s - own label core tea
    Seery’s, Scott’s, Sam’s Cookies, and Fusco’s - all supply cakes for Superquinn Essentials range
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty, Co Cork)- produce Essentials yogurts
    Dublin based Donnellys - supply all fruit and vegetables
    Wonderfoods (Dublin) - supply pre-pack salads and prepared vegetables
    Country Crest based in Lusk - produce Superquinn own label ready meals using locally grown ingredients
    Bombay Pantry based in Dublin - produce ethnic convenience meals under Superquinn own label

Aldi

Over 45% of all grocery sales at Aldi are generated on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.
    Who makes Aldi products?

Bewleys / Robert Roberts – all coffees and teas
    Natures Isle – fresh poultry, Irish Angus beef, pork, lamb, all sourced from RoI farms and Bord Bia certified.
    Irish Yogurts / Town of Monaghan Co-op / the Different Dairy Company – yogurts
    Odlums – flour

Lidl

Lidl say they are “committed to using as many indigenous suppliers as possible in the production of its own brand products.”
    Pat the Baker - granary bread and scones
    Johnston Mooney & O Brien - hot dog rolls and burger buns
    Olhausen – Premium pork sausages
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty) – Premium yogurts
    Town of Monaghan – Irish creamery butter
    Liffey Meats (Cavan) – fresh beef
    Cooley Distillery – whiskey
    Oakpark Foods (Tipperary) – Glensallagh streaky bacon
    Donegal Creameries – 1 litre milk carton
    Seerys (Carlow)– triple chocolate cake and luxury lemon cake
    Glenpatrick – Flavoured water
    Begleys (Dublin) – fresh fruit and veg
    The Scullery – relish (small supplier, relishes developed with Lidl)

SuperValu

SuperValu have 1,700 own brand products, over 30% of these are Irish.
    Who makes SuperValu own brand?
    Glenisk – organic yogurts
    Follain (Co Cork) – SV Supreme jam, cranberry sauce, apple chutney, wholegrain mustard, relishes.
    Kelkin – SV Muesli
    Bandon Vale – cheese blocks
    Mulrines – SV ketchup
    Seerys (Carlow)– tea brack and brownie slices
    Silver Pail (Fermoy, Co Cork)– Supreme ice creams
    Lakeland Dairies (Cavan) – SuperValu Ice cream 1lt tubs
    Riverview Eggs, Cork, Valley View Eggs, Bandon, Co. Cork, Clonarn Clover, Co. Meath and Nest Box Egg Co, Monaghan – SV eggs
    Carty meats (Athlone)– SV rasher range
    Mallons (Monaghan)– SV sausages
    Countrystyle (Co Kilkenny) – SV puddings
    Kepak – frozen burgers
    Prestige Foods (Kerry) – trifle range
    Taravale (Naas)– Salads such as coleslaw etc
    Sunshine juice (Carlow)– Supreme freshly squeezed juice
    JDS Foods (Cork) – SV spreads / margarine
    Cashel – SV speciality cheeses

Centra

Centra have 700 own brand products available and 35% of their own brand products are Irish made. They say they use Irish suppliers for their fresh produce; all meat is 100% Irish; 67% of fruit and veg and 75% of dairy.

Who makes Centra products?
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty)– Centra luxury yoghurts
    McEvoy Family Foods (Co Tipperary) - Chilled Soup Range
    Brady Family (Co Kildare) – deli style meats
    Dunhill Cuisine (Waterford)– ready made meals i.e. cottage pie / lasagne
    Mulrines (Donegal)– Centra juice range
    Kerry Freshways – pre-packed sandwiches
    North Cork co-op – Centra butter
    Blenders (Dublin)- Mayonnaise

Dunnes

Overall over 75% of Dunnes fresh own label is sourced in Ireland; 100% fresh beef, chicken , lamb, pork is Irish; 97% of our bakery lines are Irish made ; 91% of all potatoes are Irish and 100% fresh fish from Irish suppliers / waters.

Olhausen - Dunnes Sausages
    Batchelors - baked beans and peas
    Mulrines - juice
    Blenders - pasta sauces
    Tendermeats (dedicated meat plant) - All Dunnes meat is controlled from farm to shelf via this plant

Some of Dunnes fresh own label suppliers
    Natural Dairies Ltd.
    Riverview Eggs Ltd.
    The Nest Box Egg Co.
    Annalitten Farm Foods Ltd.
    Nevilles Bakery Dublin Ltd.
    Johnson Mooney & O'Brien
    Pat the Baker
    Matt Reilly Cakes Ltd.
    Staffords Bakery Ltd.
    Brogans Bakery
    P McCloskey & Sons Ltd.
    Scotts Bakery Ltd.
    William Carr & Sons Ltd.
    H.J. Nolan (Dublin) Ltd.
    Wrights of Howth
    Dunns Seafare Ltd.
    Oceanpath
    Galway Bay Seafoods Ltd.

Another way of checking (for the super-sleuths!)
    This only applies to meat and diary products: Irrespective of the brand, the label will have an EU approval number identifying the final processing plant. The Department of Agriculture publishes a list of approved plants for Ireland on its website.

This label identifies only the final stage of processing not the actual origin of the meat or dairy product.
    For example, if you’re looking at two cartons of milk or a packet of rashers, one branded, one own brand, look at the origin code on the label (an oval with IE, a number and EC) or on the cap you may find, for instance, the number 1405 on both products. This identifies the production plant as being the same.

List compiled by Tina Leonard of the Pat Kenny Radio Show

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

snubbleste wrote: »
    While strictly speaking it is not a bargain alert, I think there are some people out there like myself who would have been reluctant to purchase own brands because they didn't know what type of companies were making the products.

There are lots of really good Irish companies on the list so I believe more people might be inclined to purchase these cheaper products now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just because "brand name" companies make them doesnt mean they are the same as brand name products or even better. THey still use crap ingredients most of the time.

If you ever look at the nutritional value of, lets say, Kelloggs Corn Flakes Vs Dunnes/SuperValu/Lidl/Aldi/Tesco etc the Kelloggs brand will have the least calories, Sugar etc etc.

The same goes with all others. I usually find own brand products always have way more Saturated Fats/Trans Fats or sugar in them. These cover up the awful taste of the bad ingredients they use.

Hogzy, You make a very good point about the labels. It is important to compare the nutritional value of products. However, Dispatches and Panorama have both made programmes about big brand and own brands recently and interestingly, they found that in many cases own brand products found in Lidl and Aldi contained less sugar and salt than some of the big and better know cereal manufacturers.

If you compare labels you can't go too far wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Hogzy, You make a very good point about the labels. It is important to compare the nutritional value of products. However, Dispatches and Panorama have both made programmes about big brand and own brands recently and interestingly, they found that in many cases own brand products found in Lidl and Aldi contained less sugar and salt than some of the big and better know cereal manufacturers.

If you compare labels you can't go too far wrong :)

I probably should have excluded Aldi and Lidl from the above. Their own brand products are usually on par if not better than the regular brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Nestle produce all Breakfast Cereals for Dunnes/Tesco/SV/Centra/Tesco

Glesson (Tipperary) Produce Lemonade for Aldi/SV/Centra/Mace

Sliverspring in the UK produce own brand minerals for Tesco

Cott Uk Produce Spar own brand and budget Lemonade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Green Isle produce Pizzas and frozen goods for a lot of those too.

I have seen Burtons Biscuits stamped on the outer packing of a pallet of own brand biscuits going into Lidl or Aldi (can't remember which it was) previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Very informative thread. Many thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Moy Park produce alot of Lidl's 'Bally Manor' poultry stamped withthe NI bord bia mark. Also some place in Mayo produces the ROI 'Bally Manor' chicken.

Meade in Co. Meath supply the vast majority of Lidl's F&V indigenous produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sweet Jesus. Take everything with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

In aldi the cottage cheese is made in augher co.tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i knew most of the suppliers for the major supermarkets but very hard to find out the suppliers for the german discouunters unless you know someone working there

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Alot of green isle chips, who supply chips to dunnes as well, are all from Belgium.
    Weird for a company who are from a country known for its potatoes.

Sweet Jesus. Take everything with a pinch of salt.
    The only reason for making reference to Tina Leonard in my original post was solely because I didn't want to be taking credit for her material.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Wonderful imformation but not a bargain....away with ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

MrsD007 wrote: »
    More and more people are turning to own brands at the moment, here is a list of the companies who make supermarket own brand products.

Tesco Own brands

They say that 100 Irish companies produce some 2,000 own brand Tesco products. 98% of their customers purchase at least one own brand as part of weekly shop. Own brand household cleaning account for 63% of sales in that category.

Who makes Tesco own brand?

Glanbia – Tesco milk; Tesco butter; Tesco fromage frais
    Mannings bakery (Dublin) – Tesco apple tarts, crumble, bakewell tart and other cakes
    Hilton Foods (Drogheda) – Tesco Finest sausages, chorizo sausages, Tesco Finest Pork and Lamb products.
    Brogan’s Bakery (Galway) – Tesco muffins
    Country Crest (Lucan); Tesco roosters, kerrs pink, baby potatoes, onions, shallots and more veg.
    Gem Pack Foods Ltd – Tesco rice, sugar, currants, sultanas, raisins, almonds, hazelnuts, walnut pieces, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc,
    Catron Bros (Cavan / Dublin) – Tesco chicken ranges
    P Mulrine & sons (Donegal) – Tesco juices (ambient and chilled).
    Both Irish Pride and Bachelors also make some Tesco label products.

I take it that Tina Leonard just emailed all the Supermarkets and got a reply back. Looking at the Tesco reply for one they failed to point out most of their Chicken is from Moypark in Northern Ireland. That Mulrines supply some of there ambient/chilled juices not the entire range,

Country Crest do supply mainly Irish products do the shallots one is dubious as I have never seen Irish shallots in supermarkets so basically is it Irish if you import it and stick a date label on it? Gem Pack Foods rice? I know they use to but not anymore. Tesco reduced business with them and import most of their bakery range from the UK, I imagine the other Supermarkets were as loose with their replies. More insightful RTE reporting again.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Corsendonk wrote: »
    most of their Chicken is from Moypark in Northern Ireland.

I've never seen any Irish chicken in any Tesco. With fresh fish and meats you should always look for an Irish plant number.
    IE 00** MH/DN (etc) - Ireland - factory id number - county Meath/Dublin etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:DDo people actually buy meat in Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

That list will give us an idea of some of the Superquinn suppliers that have been badly stiffed. Some might go under.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

leex wrote: »
    Green Isle produce Pizzas and frozen goods for a lot of those too.

I have seen Burtons Biscuits stamped on the outer packing of a pallet of own brand biscuits going into Lidl or Aldi (can't remember which it was) previously.

Definitely their own-brand Toffee Pops (called Toffee Ooze if I remember correctly) anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

:DDo people actually buy meat in Tesco?

Some must.. The meat in Tesco is rank, I wouldn't touch it with a pair of gloves on, could be from some Chinese pet food factory for all anybody knows. As for most of their own brand- pure cheap scutter. You can't beat Dunnes for quality when it comes to own brand stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Some must.. The meat in Tesco is rank, I wouldn't touch it with a pair of gloves on, could be from some Chinese pet food factory for all anybody knows. As for most of their own brand- pure cheap scutter. You can't beat Dunnes for quality when it comes to own brand stuff

What a load of bull! I generally don't buy meat in supermarkets but have done on occasion and particularly the angus steak in Tesco has always been good. Plus SOME of their own brand foods are no different to their more expensive equivalents. Each of the own brands in either Dunnes or Tesco have their good and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

+1 id rather buy a slipper there to chew on than some of their meat. The mince is disgraceful, even thinking bout it gives me the gawks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

For what it's worth, Lidl get their fruit an veg from a few different smaller suppliers spread around the country, rather than just one of the bigger ones like Country Crest or Sam Dennigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

+1 id rather buy a slipper there to chew on than some of their meat. The mince is disgraceful, even thinking bout it gives me the gawks

Yep, their mince is poxy. Full of grizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Lidl get their fruit an veg from a few different smaller suppliers spread around the country, rather than just one of the bigger ones like Country Crest or Sam Dennigan.

Meade Potato Company I believe and also from some companies that link into the coffers of Fyffes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its worth noteing I worked for batchellors and silvercrest foods.

batchellors might make tesco and own brand beans but it is a different bean grade(smaller) and is a different sauce grade

Also silvercrest made burgers ande grill stakes. These were generally the same recepie.

Squeeze orange juice is made by batchellors. The generic brands have more water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

bazwaldo wrote: »
    What a load of bull! I generally don't buy meat in supermarkets but have done on occasion and particularly the angus steak in Tesco has always been good. Plus SOME of their own brand foods are no different to their more expensive equivalents. Each of the own brands in either Dunnes or Tesco have their good and bad.

Get off it buddy your either working for tesco or have no taste whatsoever if you think there meat or own brand goods are worthy for human conumption, tacky and cheap thats Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I believe that Wexford Creamery produces the cheese for Tesco, SuperValue & Others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Yep, their mince is poxy. Full of grizzle.
    Don't buy their (or any shop's) cheapo mince then! What do you expect at that price....

Tesco's round steak mince is fine by me.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement