Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mandatory golf insurance

Options
  • 04-03-2011 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

My club has introduced mandatory golf insurance this year at a cost of €20 per member. The explanation they have put forward is that the club could be sued if an injury occurred during its competitions or activities, and since the club does not have the funds to pay, the members would be personally liable.

I know a lot of clubs have voluntary golf insurance schemes but I haven't heard of it being mandatory anywhere else. Is insurance mandatory in your club?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

been included in our fee this years.....tho im sure you could opt out of it if necessary....but be sick if those golden sticks went missing??tho im sure techincally could be claimed on house insurance....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I had to pay €20 madatory insurance this year, didn't mind though at least I am covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

It's well worth the €20 because it covers you for things that you might not expect, like the time my trolly took off on a trip while I was putting out on the green, I found it lying on its back, wheels up in the air in a bunker 40 yards away, the front wheel of the trolly was 10 yards away, the dive off the mound on top of the bunker snapped the frame. I did nothing until i was telling the story in the club a few weeks later and somebody asked why I didnt claim on my golfers insurance. Anyway to cut a long story short, I got on to the insurers, got a quote for a new trolly from McGuirks and a cheque arrived about a week later. So insurance is not all about if you skull somebody on an adjoining fairway with a pro v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 The Nightfly

if you skull somebody on an adjoining fairway with a pro v.

Or in my case, clock somebody in heavy rough with a TopFlite.

Even though my house insurance covers me for this kind of thing, I don't mind the cost. What got my back up was the fact the club brought it in without telling people. I was just wondering what other clubs did.

Isn't there always some bright spark coming up with "ideas" and imposing them on other people. For years people played golf without a thought for insurance and nobody was any the worse off for it. Now it seems nobody can set foot on a golf course without it - coincidentally, since AIG started sponsoring the GUI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Edmundomee

Hey I know this is an old post but do people know what golf insurance covers? I have insurance with my golf club and only last week my clubs were stolen from the boot of my car. As I'm renting I don't have household insurance. Do you think it would cover this? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Give them a ring, I believe it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Edmundomee wrote: »
    Hey I know this is an old post but do people know what golf insurance covers? I have insurance with my golf club and only last week my clubs were stolen from the boot of my car. As I'm renting I don't have household insurance. Do you think it would cover this? Thanks

Yes, general cover details here:
    http://www.willis.ie/Home/GetAssetByName?name=GolfsurePKeyFeaturesROI

I played with a guy recently who's car was stolen from his drive way with two sets of clubs and all the gear in the boot. Car insurance would only cover something like €700 of personal belongings but his golfsure insurance covered up to €4k and the whole process was quite smooth. After evaluation/valuations and some receipts for the newer items recently purchased he was given a voucher for McGuirks to replace the stolen items. Aparently McGuirks have a contract with Golfsure regarding replacement of stolen/damaged/lost golfing equipment so not sure if you've much choice in where to purchase and replace the stolen items.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Edmundomee

Cheers guys. Thanks for that. Il give it a try... It's expensive trying to put everything back together again! Thanks 4 your help

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Edmundomee wrote: »

Unfortunately, you are the second person I've heard this happening to in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Ronney

Managed to break the shafts on 3 clubs about 6 months ago (1 graphite , 2 steel).

After a few phone calls (my club/Broker) eventually was put on to someone in AIG. Pretty easy to get them repaired.

First they needed to contact my club to verify my insurance/memberchip.
    Then offered a mcguirks voucher, I said I wanted to just repair them and they were happy for me to use my local pro.
    Cheque arrived about a week after I sent in the Receipt

Had to pay €50 excess

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't forget hole in one potentials...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

My car was stolen recently and I had two sets of clubs in the car. Between the trolley, gps, rain gear and the two sets of clubs, the replacement cost came to €4.8k.

My car insurance covered up to €2k for golf clubs but the golf insurance covered €4k. So I claimed through the golf insurance which in the end was quite straight forward.

When I was completing the claim for the car, I asked about the remaining €800 on the clubs claim and the car insurance guys covered that. Car insurance guys gave me the €800 cash and the golf insurance gave me €3,950 (excluding €50 excess) for vouchers in McGuirks.

If anyone needs any more information, send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 arkslippy123

I've an all risks policy with my house insurance specifying golf clubs at 2k value. Costs about 16 euro a year.

Every time i have a bad round, I look at the lake at 18, the club's, back to the lake.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gamadublin

saintastic wrote: »
    My car was stolen recently and I had two sets of clubs in the car. Between the trolley, gps, rain gear and the two sets of clubs, the replacement cost came to €4.8k.

My car insurance covered up to €2k for golf clubs but the golf insurance covered €4k. So I claimed through the golf insurance which in the end was quite straight forward.

When I was completing the claim for the car, I asked about the remaining €800 on the clubs claim and the car insurance guys covered that. Car insurance guys gave me the €800 cash and the golf insurance gave me €3,950 (excluding €50 excess) for vouchers in McGuirks.

If anyone needs any more information, send me a PM.

Were you able to choose any clubs with the McGuirks voucher or did they replace it with a similar model?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I wish somebody would rob my car.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Do you have to have the receipts to claim ?

Advertisement