Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

art!!!!!

Options
  • 30-05-2005 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

ok im getting frustrated am i the only one in 60,000 doing art i seem to be the only one doing it ahhhhhhhhh the 2fm listening to the leaving : no art that radio one thing no art the supplement in the paper no art, skool.ie no art ! maybe art is no longer a subject and nobody told me or art was never a subject!!! ! arrgh the stress of it all

dust anybody??..............art anybody??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

loads of people do art, but seeing as the majority of the work is your ablility to draw/sculpt etc etc its not likely you will find a lot of people posting about art on this forum, i guess you might find some people looking for help with the art history aspect of the course, but theres not a lot you can do for some one over the net who wants help with drawing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

yeah art history is really hardcore with the amount of stuff to try and take in, at least i supose its good that the exam gives us a good variation of questions...
    at the moment i have all my notes done for all the irish art, bronze age up to the viking invasions and i left out the medieval period cos i cant hack it at all!
    european art is a different story though, im doing gothic and romanesque architecture/sculpture and i am going to go over jan van eyk, donetello, raphael and maybe michaelangelo/da vinci but that came up last year i think...
    appricaition is a weird section i think... like in the mocks we had some crazy web design or something...... i hope film comes up... please be film!

my main problem is trying to wirte a decent essay in about 40 minutes :(
    whats everyone else doing for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

hey cool other art people well im doing:
    *irish art*
    bronze age
    muirdeach, moone and cardonagh crosses
    early christian architecture

*european art*
    michelangelo
    donatello
    rapheal
    april (ah no!!only messin)
    brunelleschi and alberti
    monet
    degas

*appreciation*
    museum
    interior design of a childs bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Art History
    Irish = Manuscripts, High Crosses, La Téne, Stone Age, Iron Age, Bronze Age
    European = 2 Pre Renassance Artists, 2 High Renassance Artists, 2 Impressionists
    Section 3 = Exhibition tour (if you haven't got one done, run to the National Gallery, fly around the Portrait Exhibtion section and note thre paintings in detail and then the layout of the room)

That's serious coverage. You could get away with just doing Manuscripts and High Crosses for Irish. It'll probably be High Crosses this year and they can be a fuçker to do, so I'd say cover another section as well to make sure your fine. European isn't really that hard, just know three paintings for each artist and be able to sketch them. Section 3 is fine, probably get a sculpture question which is fairly easy to do (design it and then explain why you'd stick it where you are)

As for actually writing the essay...
    Irish questions tend to be about the development, so plan for that. Get three/four pieces together starting from early to late period. Start on the earliest piece, give a description of it and then do a sketch. Repeat until your finished.
    European, as I said know three paintings for each artists. They are your paragraphs, base your essay around them and you can't go wrong.

It's a really easy test, they give you so much questions you'll probably find yourself spoilt for choice. Just don't forget your sketches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

yeah sketchs should be ok as long as i remember what the piece looks like!! its pretty cool that they are worht ten marks though!

how did all your practicals go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I would advise getting the Less Stress More Sucess Art History - so far it is undoubtedly the best LSMS book ive came across and i have basically learned my entire syllasbis in art in the last few days! I have notes done on all the Irish art and the Rennaisance, only have the Impressionism left to read over which my teacher gave me noted for! But serously this is a pretty hard subject for the learning there is loads of it - the LSMS has really helped.

EDIT: Here it is you buffoon!

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/gettingitright/rams/13april.smil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Its such a hard course! Less stress more success messed up on all the dates however. Art history is going to be the reason I wont get my A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Africa wrote:
    I would advise getting the Less Stress More Sucess Art History - so far it is undoubtedly the best LSMS book ive came across and i have basically learned my entire syllasbis in art in the last few days! I have notes done on all the Irish art and the Rennaisance, only have the Impressionism left to read over which my teacher gave me noted for! But serously this is a pretty hard subject for the learning there is loads of it - the LSMS has really helped.

Thats the exact advice I would have told you. Less Stress is a fab book that helped me alot. It was my bbile during 5th and 6th Year.

There are lots of options on the Art History exam so I would advice anyone at this stage to focus on the aspects they already know best and not to learn much new stuff.

Oh thank God Newgrange, da Vinci and that easy mobile phone question came up last year or I would have been failing big time! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Finch* wrote:
    loads of people do art, but seeing as the majority of the work is your ablility to draw/sculpt etc etc its not likely you will find a lot of people posting about art on this forum, i guess you might find some people looking for help with the art history aspect of the course, but theres not a lot you can do for some one over the net who wants help with drawing
    Man, art history is 50% of the marks!

And yeah, I'm doing art :D
    And whoever said it, Less Stress, More Success is a godsend. There's not quite enough information on alot of things, so you'll need to bulk it out a bit, but regarding the general facts and such I couldn't complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Also, it's usually marked quite generously. You won't lose marks for incorrect information, and examiners try to give marks wherever possible, so any relevant bit of information is worth throwing in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement