Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Bowling Green Car Park be converted into a Open air Market?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

And i'll use this as my example of what a market is and should be.

http://www.milkmarketlimerick.ie/

Ah so we're back to "should be" rather than what is and has been accepted since well before any of us were born.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've got to say, this is whay I didn't reply to your post at first Ben, you don't know the history of what happened in Eyre Square. It had folk who made jewelery and everything but the pitches were too small. The traders did not stick with it (just the fella who sold riding tack etc.) after they went to the trouble of getting local authority trade permission, licences and all.

I have heaps of mates who do markets around the county and alas folk seem to focus on the chi chi produce in the market in Galway city and dont' support local small towns, letting market licences slide and by laws run out when it's too late. I support my local market (in a small town in East Galway), we get extentions for it at special times of the year, I organise events to give it a boost. It's all good and well deciding what the perfect market is in ones head, but the reality takes a lot of work and commitment from traders and the community alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

antoobrien wrote: »
    Ah so we're back to "should be" rather than what is and has been accepted since well before any of us were born.

Carry on.

Yep 'should be' is far more use to most people, but its grand sure continue buying air rifles and whatever other tat is sold in that awesome 'market'.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

So kinda like this, then:

http://www.galwaymarket.com/

If only it came with a roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Greaney wrote: »
    I don't know if ye've noticed but Eyre Square (outside Supermacs), has a market, folk who had bought permits stopped using it so the traders with tacking (and tat!:o) started making their stalls bigger. Original pitches were tiny, you can see them painted on the ground still I think. It was mostly hippy jewelery sellers in the late 80's but they drifted off and I don't know what happened to their permits (issued by the local authority).

Nearly correct,but some backround info ,the one with tacking and tat and others like him were there since the late 60's(others were earlier) and originally had large pitch's but in the 80's the hippies(your words) started trading. The then city manager/town Clerk Joe Gavin decided to control casual trading and bring in small standard sized pitch's but the 3 families who had traded there the longest contested this in the courts and Judge Grattan Esmonde agreed that they had a right to trade there and receive larger pictch's, this was agreed by Joe Gavin but later on others sought to bring the matter to the courts.

There were also stalls in eyre square in the 50's and 60's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Woodquay Market confirmed for the Sea Festival Saturday. Hope the people from Easter come back. It was great to see new (and cheaper) traders there compared to the usual market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Thanks Kabakuyu for that detail, yes I was aware the tacking guy was there for generations, but you've cleared up some detail regarding it's standing legally. I have no problem using the term hippy (short hand for artisan, alternative etc.) since I'm a bit boho meself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Greaney wrote: »
    Thanks Kabakuyu for that detail, yes I was aware the tacking guy was there for generations, but you've cleared up some detail regarding it's standing legally. I have no problem using the term hippy (short hand for artisan, alternative etc.) since I'm a bit boho meself;)

No problem, they were all decent people who just wanted to work for a living, I always thought that the size of pitch's restricted trading and there was also a whole list of items prohibited from being sold( some to protect local businesses)along with other restrictive rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Dunno if he is newish but there was a guy selling paintings outside the Advertiser office a couple of days ago. He didn't seem to be part of Devaney empire.

The 'Indian Sunday Market Guy' should really go for it. Probably wouldn't work at lunchtime as everything cooked to order but I could see him doing well with 9-5ers if he could stay till 7ish.

Advertisement