Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

air rifles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KE_MAN

Re: Pricing for New/Used Air rifles in UK V's South of Ireland (ROI)

I was amazed at the differences recently with dealer prices charged in ROI compared to the UK e.g. a BSA R10 .22 MKII (PCP). A well known dealer here in Kildare had just sold one and the customer was awaiting their licence and i went to view it because i was thinking of buying BSA R10 .22. The dealer had sold it for €1,100 excluding scope, mounts, sling etc. (Not even pellets with the gun and the dealer had no facilities to provide air to charge the gun either). The same gun could be purchased in the UK for £630/€741 (+ delivery NI £30/ROI £60 to RFD). Most dealers only charge £20 in NI to handle same.

Dealer in KE wanted €120 for scope + mounts @ €20 = €140 (still no pellets for your gun !)

By comparison in the UK you could purchase a package deal for £50 that included the following:
    Hawke or Nikko Stirling Scope 3-9X40 + Quality Mounts, Padded Bag and a Tin of Pellets of your choice. For £60 you could upgrade to a Hawke or Nikko Stirling 3-9X50 scope. FAC Air Rifles in UK are a good bit cheaper than NI/ROI because they are harder sold new/used due to licencing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Yikes - Whilst I wouldn't deny our local boys their few pence for handling the import etc... that does seem a little excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

KE_MAN wrote: »

I was amazed at the differences recently with dealer prices charged in ROI compared to the UK e.g. a BSA R10 .22 MKII (PCP). A well known dealer here in Kildare had just sold one and the customer was awaiting their licence and i went to view it because i was thinking of buying BSA R10 .22. The dealer had sold it for €1,100 excluding scope, mounts, sling etc. (Not even pellets with the gun and the dealer had no facilities to provide air to charge the gun either). The same gun could be purchased in the UK for £630/€741 (+ delivery NI £30/ROI £60 to RFD). Most dealers only charge £20 in NI to handle same.

Dealer in KE wanted €120 for scope + mounts @ €20 = €140 (still no pellets for your gun !)

By comparison in the UK you could purchase a package deal for £50 that included the following:
    Hawke or Nikko Stirling Scope 3-9X40 + Quality Mounts, Padded Bag and a Tin of Pellets of your choice. For £60 you could upgrade to a Hawke or Nikko Stirling 3-9X50 scope. FAC Air Rifles in UK are a good bit cheaper than NI/ROI because they are harder sold new/used due to licencing issue.

Could not agree more, but there must be some reason for "such" a difference but i personally dont know what it is other than the obvious one...:mad:???

The days of rip-off Ireland are well and truly over. I am very much in favour of supporting our own and providing jobs here in the South.

Ultimately, we as Airgunners are the cusomers/punters and we sure as hell want value for money.

That is my bear bug of me chest for this Valentines Day. Happy shootin !
    loveta wrote: »
    Could not agree more, but there must be some reason for "such" a difference but i personally dont know what it is other than the obvious one...:mad:???

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

KE_MAN wrote: »

I would be greatly surprised if that dealer would have imported the firearm if he knew how much he was going to loose on the sale. Pity we dont have a dealer here that has a good stock of air rifles and knowledge and who charges reasonable prices!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

amjc1974 wrote: »
    Pity we dont have a dealer here that has a good stock of air rifles and knowledge and who charges reasonable prices!!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Besides petrol, I can't think of anything that's cheaper here than in the UK.
    There is nothing to stop anybody shopping online from a UK outlet if you are prepared to buy unseen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 darrensingh16

Hello im 16 and have been told its 18 for an air rifle an 16 for a shotgun is this true? apparently is changed last year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

14 for a training license, and 16 for a full license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

If you buy up North do they want a full ROI licence before handing over the gun or will they send to an RFD in the south ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Either. Whichever you want. Whatever way it happens you will not be given possession of it from the dealer up North or down South until you have a license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Second that too Cass - you must have a licence before possession is granted.

On another note i have just seen locally in Kildare where someone has been prosecuted for having a Air Rifle without a licence. The Judge in Kilcock Court (Kildare) handed down a fine of €500 for possession of a illegally held firearm and a further €150 for illegally held ammunition (Pellets) held at the defendants home. Total €650 and defendant now cannot apply for a licence for any firearm because of this offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

lb1997 wrote: »
    what are the popular and best brands of air rifle / pellet rifle?

+1 For Diana / RWS.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Just wondering whats the killing range of a weichrauch hw97k .22!?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

A 12 ft/lbs HW97 will have the energy to dispatch small game, eg. a rabbit, with a head shot to about 45yards.

However more importantly, can the shooter guarantee to place the pellet on such a small target all the time?...range estimation, pellet drop, wind, etc all play factors on making the shot.

When hunting with an air rifle, I usually reduce the range to a max of 35 yards where I can guarantee a head shot and a clean kill. Its more of a test of field craft to get within a close range. Yes, a high power air rifle may stretch the range out a bit more...but not as much as you think, especially with a spring piston rifle like the '97K.

good advice above - also important to note that the pellet trajectory is going to be VERY loopy at anything after 35 meters with a .22 cal at 12ft.lbs.

You need to know your range to inside of a meter if you're going to take a headshot that far out at those energy level - pellet simply isn't moving fast enough to get out there before a proper fall rate sets in.

The 12 lb limit is a bit like the tail wagging the dog. About 30ft/lb would be ideal for hunting with an airifle.Remember a rabbits skull is about the size of a plum under all that fur so shot placement ( just behing the eye ) is important.

You'd be hard pushed to tune 30ft lbs out of a '97k, which was the air rifle in question in post no. 45! I was commenting on its output which is mainly in the 12-18 ft lb region...plenty of stopping power at the ranges I mentioned.

slug gun wrote: »
    You'd be hard pushed to tune 30ft lbs out of a '97k, which was the air rifle in question in post no. 45! I was commenting on its output which is mainly in the 12-18 ft lb region...plenty of stopping power at the ranges I mentioned.

Totally agree. I was thinking of PCP's. The only 30ft/lb springer I know of is the Theoben Eliminator and they are gone out of business !

recipio wrote: »
    Totally agree. I was thinking of PCP's. The only 30ft/lb springer I know of is the Theoben Eliminator and they are gone out of business !

The Eliminator came close to the 30 ft lbs, but it wasn't a springer, it had the gas ram!:) The Webley Patriot, which was a springer though, produced mid 20's ft lbs in .22 and a bit higher still in .25....but it was a heavy beast, tough to cock and harsh to shoot.

You're right, PCP's are an easier air rifle to shoot, at all power levels. But for me, the fun of airgunning is shooting/hunting/tuning mid powered springers!:D

• Advertisement

Yeah, 30ft.lb's is pretty much the preserve of the '90 if you fancy gas ram, or the '80 if you want to stick with a springer.

Both are break barrell though rather than underlever

recipio wrote: »
    Remember a rabbits skull is about the size of a plum under all that fur so shot placement ( just behing the eye ) is important.

Can you shoot them between the eyes head on...i heard the pellet can bounce/glance off!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

slug gun wrote: »
    The Eliminator came close to the 30 ft lbs, but it wasn't a springer, it had the gas ram!:) The Webley Patriot, which was a springer though, produced mid 20's ft lbs in .22 and a bit higher still in .25....but it was a heavy beast, tough to cock and harsh to shoot.

You're right, PCP's are an easier air rifle to shoot, at all power levels. But for me, the fun of airgunning is shooting/hunting/tuning mid powered springers!:D

Does tuning a springer really improve its performance or is there any need for it and if so how would you go about tuning?

Does tuning a springer really improve its performance or is there any need for it and if so how would you go about tuning?

Yes, I believe a mass produced factory spring piston air rifle can benefit from a tune…this doesn’t necessarily mean trying to squeeze every last drop of power from it though!

Here’s a list of considerations,
    Polishing and deburring all tool marks/sharp edges from internal parts
    Reassembling with higher quality lubes/tar in the right places!
    Swapping out the original factory spring, spring guide, piston washer etc with upgraded custom parts
    Looking at the static compression ratio, with a view to modifying the swept volume and transfer port dimensions.

I’ve just finished working on a 1966 Weihrauch HW55T, that needed some TLC. Here’s basically what I did:

Stripped and degreased all internal parts and polished cocking slot and cocking shoe.
    Fitted a new spring, leather washer and Delrin guide. See first pic as to sorry state of original spring & washer.
    Installed “buttons” (small discs) on the rear skirt of the piston to remove metal to metal contact, during cocking and firing.
    Applied new moly grease and tar on piston and spring.
    Rebuilt trigger mechanism after relubing with light machine oil. Trigger unit had nearly seized with old grease drying out and hardening.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/SLUG22/library/HW55T?page=1

Slug

1shot16 wrote: »
    Can you shoot them between the eyes head on...i heard the pellet can bounce/glance off!

nah, I'd call bull**** on that - skull isn't near thick enough to cleanly deflect an air pellet.

As slug gun says, tuning is far less about generating more power than it is about making the rifle cycle more smoothly. This in turn makes it easier to shoot.

Power means precisely f*ck all if you can't put that little lump of lead where you want it every time. ;)

I've mentioned it on here somewhere before, but in my opinion about 18ft.lbs is the sweet spot for a spring or ram gun. Enough poke to keep the trajectory reasonably flat out to respectable ranges, and enough recoil to keep things interesting without making it impossible to learn from.

Once you start going above ~20ft.lbs in a springer, then you really need to have your technique in place already because they jump around so much that you'll never figure out what you're doing wrong unless you know exactly what you *need* to be doing in the first place.

The auld boys HW90 was like that - think it was around 28ft.lbs or so. Mad yoke altogether - it was a .177 and laser flat out to about 40m with Daystate Rangemaster Li's. But you really had to *know* how to hold it to hit anything. Having said that - it had a HORRIBLE trigger, and could definitely have used a bit of work in that regard.

@SG: Now those are the right sights to have on an airgun. Have you a post or a ring in the forsight? She's a fine looking example!

I agree, you need a very solidly built gun to take the harsh recoil of higher power. Theoben used to sell a gas ram to fit the HW80 which brought it up to about 25ft/lbs. ( sorry, I forgot the Eliminator was a gas ram )
    There are custom firms in the UK like Steve Pope who will 'customize ' a gun but its such a hassle in this ROI of ours to send a gun over I doubt anybody would bother.
    We deserve less totalitarian airgun laws IMHO.

extremetaz wrote: »

@SG: Now those are the right sights to have on an airgun. Have you a post or a ring in the forsight? She's a fine looking example!

Weihrauch have a selection of front sight elements that can be put into the tunnel- I've got the circular ring one in, which is fun to use with the dioptre rear sight. That's also the original Weihrauch rear sight that came with the HW55T.

I had been on the look out for a 55T for the last 15 years and when one surfaced I grabbed it!:D It's in great nick for its age(47), and shoots way better than I can...but I can still get most of the pellets to group about 3/4 inch at 15m. It was originally a 10m Olympic rifle, but if you replace the spring with one from a period HW50, and tweak the tp, then it can be used as a punchy "sporter" giving up to 10 ft lb. They used to do that in the US and use it as a "porch gun" for squirrels and other small critters!:D

10m olympic with a break barrel springer?!?

That'd test ya! Were the targets bigger?

Would have thought potentially more of a Bell ringing rifle.

Would it be worth putting a bipod on my hw97k .22 heard bipods and springers dont go well together! lookin at snipersystems they look decent and good reviews about them! heres a link can get it for less on ebay for around 40 or 50 say it would be worth it! :)

http://www.globalrifle.co.uk/snipersystems-mark-vi-tilting-bipod-7-p.asp

• Advertisement

extremetaz wrote: »

Would have thought potentially more of a Bell ringing rifle.

Would make a cracking bell target rifle! But image trying to explain concept of shooting old airguns in the back of the pub whilst enjoying a pint to your Super or the Range Inspector!!:D:D:D:D:D

1shot16,

I've not had much luck shooting a springer off a rest or bipod...where would you even put it on a '97 being an underlever. I find shooting them with the slightest hold gives best results. The following link might be hehpful when shooting a spring gun.

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/The_artillery_hold_June_2009/63

ATB
    Slug

Advertisement