Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature Student Grant 2011/12

• 18-05-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Has it being confirmed that mature student are now automatically NOT
    entitle to the non-adjacent rate for the grant.
    Is this for new entry students or all current students ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yep, it's confirmed. Applies to all students, new or existing.
    Budget 2011 introduced several changes to student support schemes:
    • Student grants were reduced by 4%. This reduction applies to all existing and new grant-holders from January 2011.
    • A new eligibility category was added to the family income limits for exemption from 50% of the new Student Contribution
    • The qualifying distance between home and college for the non-adjacent rate of grant was increased from 24km to 45km
    • Mature students will no longer be automatically eligible for the non-adjacent rate of grant.
    The grant amounts involved are so small that it hardly seems worth the bother, but if you qualify you are also exempt from a student service charges which is more than the grant amount.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Rates
    Budget 2011 reduced the rates of all student grants by 4%. This reduction applies to all existing and new grant-holders from January 2011.

Changes in grant rates are considered during the annual Budget process and become effective in January at the beginning of the financial year rather than at the start of the academic year in September.

Ordinary maintenance grant rates for 2011

Rates Non-adjacent rate Adjacent rate
    Full Maintenance €3,120 €1,250
    Part maintenance (75%) €2,340 €940
    Part maintenance (50%) €1,560 €625
    Part maintenance (25%) €780 €315

some students could be down by 3120EURO

Adjacent and non-adjacent rates
    For the academic year 2010/2011, the adjacent rate of maintenance grant was payable in respect of students living 24 kilometres or less from the college being attended. The non-adjacent rate applied to everyone else, including all mature students both dependent and independent.

Budget 2011
    The qualifying distance between the student’s home and college for the non-adjacent rate increased from 24km to 45km
    Mature students will no longer be automatically eligible for the non-adjacent rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

so what does all this mean to someone applying this yr as a mature student?! in simple english please folks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stripey sox

The changes to grants this year basically mean that if you are a mature student living less than 45km from chosen college you will be entitled to the grand sum of 1200 for the academic year. Mature students were previously entitled to the non-adjacent rate of payment regardless of distance from college, this was abolished in the budget:mad:

I feel very strongly that we should not be railroaded into accepting these cuts. Politicians who earn 100k are only taking a cut of 5k, students are expected to now live on fresh air and leave their children home alone because they cant pay for childcare :mad:

Anyone else with strong feelings on this matter ?

The changes to grants this year basically mean that if you are a mature student living less than 45km from chosen college you will be entitled to the grand sum of 1200 for the academic year. Mature students were previously entitled to the non-adjacent rate of payment regardless of distance from college, this was abolished in the budget:mad:

I feel very strongly that we should not be railroaded into accepting these cuts. Politicians who earn 100k are only taking a cut of 5k, students are expected to now live on fresh air and leave their children home alone because they cant pay for childcare :mad:

Anyone else with strong feelings on this matter ?

Hold on a sec, does that 1200 include registration costs for the course?! cause they stand at like 1500euro!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    Hold on a sec, does that 1200 include registration costs for the course?! cause they stand at like 1500euro!!!

I believe it's on top of the fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

What do you mean "on top"?

As in the Registration fee is covered by the free fees inititave and your grant is seperate, or do you need to use your grant to pay the registration fee?

Sorry, this is all very confusing. Typically missed the boat on any sort of decent grant AND back to education allowance. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

New to the whole mature student thing, so in terms of money, what am i actually entitled to if anything? Are my registration fees covered etc etc. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

New to the whole mature student thing, so in terms of money, what am i actually entitled to if anything? Are my registration fees covered etc etc. Thanks

You might be entitled to "The Back TO Education Allowance" or "The Grant".
    to receive BTEA you must be in recepit of some form of social welfare for over 12 months,you need to check with the social welfare office.For the grant,you need to contact your local VEC office and they ll decide if you are entitiled to anything.Everyones circumstances are different so you need to contact those 2 bodies to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

[Jackass] wrote: »
    What do you mean "on top"?

As in the Registration fee is covered by the free fees inititave and your grant is seperate, or do you need to use your grant to pay the registration fee?

Sorry, this is all very confusing. Typically missed the boat on any sort of decent grant AND back to education allowance. Oh well.

Your fees are paid as normal and your grant money is separate.

I had the disturbing realisation today that although I never got the grant as an undergraduate and am now 25 I will still be classed as dependant on my parents as a postgraduate. So I've a €5,000 bill in September. Or I can wait three years to be classed as a mature independent candidate. Every year there's some rule that they refused me on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

This is all very distressing.
    I was reading last years grant stuff and got confused.Are you saying that if I dont move near the college and drive every day ,Id be entitled to more money ? But theres no parking in UCC hardly.I did relief work there before and I couldnt get a spot no matter how early I went in.I ended up paying for it in the end .
    No way am I paying 20 euro a day for parking .Is it possible to work part time and get a grant ? And my newphew is in first year in college ,hes actually finished first year now since last week and his 2010 grant still hasnt come through.If thats the case we will have to pay for everything for the year until they sort out their backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

This is really disturbing. I was delighted getting my place in NUIM and have applied for BTEA. I am not not only confused but really worried. The BTEA is all I will have to live on like so many who try to get an education. I will apply for the fees/student services charge to be paid. The problem is now I don't know if I am entitled to that or if these changes affect it. I simply can't afford to go otherwise.

Its so hard to just get into college as a mature. You have to prove how much you want it. how its going to change your life etc etc then this rubbish. It seems its constant that students are taking the fall. Only a few short years ago you at least had the grant and BTEA. Everytime I go to move forward someone else shifts the goalposts!

I dread to think whats in the next budget. I'm not one for protests but I think it's high time for students/matures to stand up and be counted.Something really needs to be done and fast as this area is leaking money. I will get 188 euro like so many to live on a week. I pay 100 out of that for bills etc. Thats 88 euro for transport etc. At least I will lose weight as I won't be able to afford to eat!. Thanks for letting me vent. :mad:

This is getting head wrecking folks!!!

I need to contact someone official and see what the situation is on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The Grant is made up of two parts.

1. Maintenance component: This is the funding the student receives directly and since 2010 it is not awarded to students who are in receipt of the Back to Education allowance (BTEA) with two exceptions i.e. Students on a Disability or One Parent Family Payment, who can retain these payments while studying and receive the maintenance grant subject to satisfying the means test.

2. Registration fee component. For colleges and unis this is about €1500, for PLC courses its a minimum of €200. For people whose income is within the reckonable income guidelines this statutory component is covered irregardless of whether or not they will be on the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA).

Free fees have nothing to do with the grant. Under current legislation free fees exist for a students first shot at progressing through further and higher education. Certain conditions however do apply e.g. the residency requirement.

Adjacent & Non-Adjacent rates of the grant.
    The last budget introduced a change in respect of the application of these rates as well as increasing the qualifying distance for non-adjacent rates to 45km.
    Non-mature students, i.e those under 23, it means that from this year in order to qualify for the Non-Adjacent rate of grant your course must be located at least 45km from where you live. If its under this distance then the lower Adjacent rate will apply.

Mature Students. Up until this year, irregardless of how far you lived from your course location you automatically received the higher, non-adjacent rate of grant. From this coming September however mature students will be subject to the same rule as non-matures. In order to qualify for the Non-Adjacent rate you need to live more than 45 km from your course. For someone who was in receipt of the maximum Non-Adjacent rate of the grant, €3,120, they could now see this drop to €1,250 if they live less than 45km from their course.

This change also applies to the top up rates of the grant for people on low income which again could see some peoples grant rate drop from €6,100 to €2,445.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    The Grant is made up of two parts.

1. Maintenance component: This is the funding the student receives directly and since 2010 it is not awarded to students who are in receipt of the Back to Education allowance (BTEA) with two exceptions i.e. Students on a Disability or One Parent Family Payment, who can retain these payments while studying and receive the maintenance grant subject to satisfying the means test.

2. Registration fee component. For colleges and unis this is about €1500, for PLC courses its a minimum of €200. For people whose income is within the reckonable income guidelines this statutory component is covered irregardless of whether or not they will be on the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA).

Free fees have nothing to do with the grant. Under current legislation free fees exist for a students first shot at progressing through further and higher education. Certain conditions however do apply e.g. the residency requirement.

Adjacent & Non-Adjacent rates of the grant.
    The last budget introduced a change in respect of the application of these rates as well as increasing the qualifying distance for non-adjacent rates to 45km.
    Non-mature students, i.e those under 23, it means that from this year in order to qualify for the Non-Adjacent rate of grant your course must be located at least 45km from where you live. If its under this distance then the lower Adjacent rate will apply.

Mature Students. Up until this year, irregardless of how far you lived from your course location you automatically received the higher, non-adjacent rate of grant. From this coming September however mature students will be subject to the same rule as non-matures. In order to qualify for the Non-Adjacent rate you need to live more than 45 km from your course. For someone who was in receipt of the maximum Non-Adjacent rate of the grant, €3,120, they could now see this drop to €1,250 if they live less than 45km from their course.

This change also applies to the top up rates of the grant for people on low income which again could see some peoples grant rate drop from €6,100 to €2,445.
    so as this is my first attempt at third level i am entitled to have my fees paid?

so as this is my first attempt at third level i am entitled to have my fees paid?

As long as you are an EU citizen, have been resident in Ireland for three out of the last five years, don't hold a qualification at the same level that you are now applying for and that the course itself is recognised by the DES under the free fees scheme, then I would say that its likely you would qualify.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    As long as you are an EU citizen, have been resident in Ireland for three out of the last five years, don't hold a qualification at the same level that you are now applying for and that the course itself is recognised by the DES under the free fees scheme, then I would say that its likely you would qualify.
    cool, thanks for that ,takes some of the confusion out of it for me. Still need to go VEC and see what i can get.

what about people like me who are a mature student and also claiming disability allowance? I'm not working, and I live at home

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    what about people like me who are a mature student and also claiming disability allowance? I'm not working, and I live at home

Theres a few aspects here:

Free fees: The criteria outlined above would apply, i.e that the course is recognised by the DES, that you don't hold a qualification at the same level already, etc.

Social welfare payment: As far as I know It is possible to keep a disability payment and study full-time but you do need to get 'permission' from the DSP to do so.

Grant: If you are given the green light to keep your disability payment for full-time study you can also apply for the grant to either the Co. Council or VEC depending on your course. This is a means tested payment and in your case as you are living at home, I assume with your parents, then their income and your own would be included in the means test. As a mature student living at home you are classified as a 'dependent mature candidate' which is why your parents income is also included.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Hi Guys, please excuse my ignorance, but what is a maintenance grant? The reason I ask is that I'm on the Disability Allowance and I get the rent supplement, and I'm now heading into second year in September. Last year I applied for BTEA so I could get the book allowance. A few days ago I got a letter stating: If you are recieving disability allowance, you will need to asses whether it would be more benficial for you to transfer to the BTEA when you go back to education or remain on your curent payment and apply for maintenece grant.

If you get the BTEA, you can still apply for your student services charge and college fees to be paid by your local authority or Vocational Education Committee (VEC) using the form for the student maintence grant. Please note however that BTEA holders are not guaranteed to qualify for payment of the student services charges, only those meeting terms and conditions of the grant scheme. BTEA-holders applying for student service charges and for fees shold complete a grant application form as early as possible and submit it to their local authority or VEC.

OPTION 1
    If you transfer to BTEA, you should:

• receive a payment equivalent to the maximum standard rate of your current payment
    • receive a cost of education allowance, currently at 500euro for each academic year of the approved course
    • not eligible for maintenance under the student grant scheme
    • apply to the student grant scheme for the student service charge and course fee
    • Be able to work part time without affecting your BTEA payment
    • In general, retain secondary benefits like rent supplement. Note, if you are in receipt of rent supplement or mortgage interest supplement and your income increases, you will be re-assessed for these benefits.
    Option 2
    If you continue to get your disability allowance you should:

• keep your existing payment
    • be entitled to for both maintenance and the student service charge under the student grant scheme (Note: Applicants on social welfare payments do not automatically qualify for a maintenance grant)
    • Not eligible for a cost of education allowance
    • In general lose your rent supplement or mortgage supplement by reason of in full time education.

Now sorry about that, but I'm kinda confused by the whole thing, it seems to me that I'm being forced to pick option One, or am I wrong? Could someone explain it better, because I tried talking over the phone but I'm partially deaf so thanks in advance if you can help.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, please excuse my ignorance, but what is a maintenance grant? The reason I ask is that I'm on the Disability Allowance and I get the rent supplement, and I'm now heading into second year in September. Last year I applied for BTEA so I could get the book allowance. A few days ago I got a letter stating: If you are recieving disability allowance, you will need to asses whether it would be more benficial for you to transfer to the BTEA when you go back to education or remain on your curent payment and apply for maintenece grant.

If you get the BTEA, you can still apply for your student services charge and college fees to be paid by your local authority or Vocational Education Committee (VEC) using the form for the student maintence grant. Please note however that BTEA holders are not guaranteed to qualify for payment of the student services charges, only those meeting terms and conditions of the grant scheme. BTEA-holders applying for student service charges and for fees shold complete a grant application form as early as possible and submit it to their local authority or VEC.

OPTION 1
    If you transfer to BTEA, you should:

• receive a payment equivalent to the maximum standard rate of your current payment
    • receive a cost of education allowance, currently at 500euro for each academic year of the approved course
    • not eligible for maintenance under the student grant scheme
    • apply to the student grant scheme for the student service charge and course fee
    • Be able to work part time without affecting your BTEA payment
    • In general, retain secondary benefits like rent supplement. Note, if you are in receipt of rent supplement or mortgage interest supplement and your income increases, you will be re-assessed for these benefits.
    Option 2
    If you continue to get your disability allowance you should:

• keep your existing payment
    • be entitled to for both maintenance and the student service charge under the student grant scheme (Note: Applicants on social welfare payments do not automatically qualify for a maintenance grant)
    • Not eligible for a cost of education allowance
    • In general lose your rent supplement or mortgage supplement by reason of in full time education.

Now sorry about that, but I'm kinda confused by the whole thing, it seems to me that I'm being forced to pick option One, or am I wrong? Could someone explain it better, because I tried talking over the phone but I'm partially deaf so thanks in advance if you can help.

Hi

I'm also on Disability Allowance and Rent Supplement. I got this letter last week, I really don't understand it either, it is like their basically telling you to pick option 1, if you don't, you will lose your benefits, so it seems.

I would like to find more info if someone has any?!

I believe I have 21 days to return the form, correct?

thanks

Hi,

I've done some checking on this this morning. What I've been told today is that this is a rule that in many parts of the country has been applied sporadically by CWO's up until now. In one county I was told by a CWO that as the client data of DSP, the VEC and HSE are held seperately that in several cases people have progressed through education, retaining both their rent allowance, disability/ OPFP and also the grant i.e they fell though the cracks.

This letter looks like some joined up thinking on the part o DSP and the HSE. The CWO I spoke to recommended speaking to the CIC in your area to look at the best option for you.

A different service I spoke to said that there seems to be a national drive to get young people into education at the expense, literally, of mature students. :(

I will be following up on this and if I find out more I will post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

https://www.grantsonline.ie/index_alt.html

"Facility to apply online for 2011/12 student grants will be available in May 2011"

However, I can't find a link to the online forms.

Am I looking in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pj19

hey guys, say i have a masters from Europe and I want to get the BTEA, How will social welfare know I have a masters if I dont tell them, dont see why my masters should stop me getting BTEA to do my Dip in UCC when i paid for the Masters myself and I am having a complete change of career from engineering to teaching, any ideas?

i have read that it says you cannot go from a masters to hdip as there is no progression except under certain circumstances, anyone know what these circumstances are?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unpeumad

hi !
    Just wondering does anyone know how much fees are if a student is repeating a year ?

Merci d'avance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

unpeumad wrote: »
    hi !
    Just wondering does anyone know how much fees are if a student is repeating a year ?

Merci d'avance

Fee's are different per University/College. Best getting in touch with the Uni/College you are currently studying (or plan on studying) to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unpeumad

Fee's are different per University/College. Best getting in touch with the Uni/College you are currently studying (or plan on studying) to find out.
    Oh ok !
    I'll do that so .
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

pj19 wrote: »
    hey guys, say i have a masters from Europe and I want to get the BTEA, How will social welfare know I have a masters if I dont tell them, dont see why my masters should stop me getting BTEA to do my Dip in UCC when i paid for the Masters myself and I am having a complete change of career from engineering to teaching, any ideas?

i have read that it says you cannot go from a masters to hdip as there is no progression except under certain circumstances, anyone know what these circumstances are?

You wouldnt qualify for the grant not sure about BTEA. Not sure about free fees etc, Id suggest contacting your local Grants office.... if its county hall I'd suggest going in to them, they tend not to answer the phone this time of year! (2nd floor glass corridor!)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Spud5467

So I'm confused. Living in Cavan at the minute and hopefully get offered a place in Dublin. Are you assessed where you were living or where you will be living?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

Spud5467 wrote: »
    So I'm confused. Living in Cavan at the minute and hopefully get offered a place in Dublin. Are you assessed where you were living or where you will be living?

Its based on your home address. You apply for the grant to Cavan Council as Cavan is your home address, I take it you wont be permanently moving to Dublin?

Advertisement