Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Don't think there was any mention of it here, I heard during the week that Eoin Kelly retired.

Don't know exactly what to say about him. He undoubtedly possessed a lot of talent and it is right to pay tribute to some of the genius that helped Waterford in years gone by. He did give a lot of time to Waterford.

I think it's the right decision for him to call it a day, he's offered what he can at this stage and his presence only brought about negative media attention and cries for him to be playing when evidence suggested him not be selected was a justified decision.

There are things I really don't like about him, but nevertheless I should thank him for the memories, the goals in the 2004 and 2010 Munster Finals, a superb performance in 2002 against Tipp, that point in the League Final in 2007 and many more besides. Whatever else you may say about him, it must be acknowledge that in terms of talent, he was one of the best players we had in the modern era.

Black Suir wrote: »

Jesus, and two months ago the debt was allegedly 450,000 which I found astronomical at the time.

Hard to know who to believe.

I would be inclined to believe that the publicity of this story is for the benefit of those in charge of financing in GAA HQ, especially with a quote like we might have to 'close up shop' should we not get this loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

If this wasn't so serious it would be hilarious! In what other line of business would clowns like we have running our county board be kept in a job? They would be ALL sacked years ago. Its a complete joke what's going on and to be honest i can't understand why people aren't up in arms over it. It's just one disaster after another and please don't someone come on here and tell me they're all amateurs and doing it for the love of the game! I'm sure there are business minded people well capable of taking it over and straightening things out rather than have us in a worse state that this country is already in,and that's where we're heading with these muppets in charge.
    The clubs are to bail them out AGAIN and on top of this we're to borrow 700k over 10 yrs to clear the debt. Can you imagine what state our development squads,underage teams,and senior teams will be in by the year 2022!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Don't think there was any mention of it here, I heard during the week that Eoin Kelly retired.

Don't know exactly what to say about him. He undoubtedly possessed a lot of talent and it is right to pay tribute to some of the genius that helped Waterford in years gone by. He did give a lot of time to Waterford.

I think it's the right decision for him to call it a day, he's offered what he can at this stage and his presence only brought about negative media attention and cries for him to be playing when evidence suggested him not be selected was a justified decision.

There are things I really don't like about him, but nevertheless I should thank him for the memories, the goals in the 2004 and 2010 Munster Finals, a superb performance in 2002 against Tipp, that point in the League Final in 2007 and many more besides. Whatever else you may say about him, it must be acknowledge that in terms of talent, he was one of the best players we had in the modern era.

The more i think about it, at one stage we had 5 or 6 of the best hurlers of their generation together in one team with Ken Mcgrath,Dan Shanahan Paul Flynn, John Mullane, Eoin Kelly, Tony Browne makes The fact we couldnt deliver at least one All Ireland a travesty really. Dont try and tell me that the 5 or 6 best players on current KK team are better man for man than those guys. Pity we just couldnt play as a team for 70 mins often enough. I wish Eoin all the best, I think his heart was always in the right place but he probably believed in his own hype a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Would wish Eoin Kelly all the best, and that goal in the 2004 Munster Final will live long in the memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

WumBuster wrote: »
    The more i think about it, at one stage we had 5 or 6 of the best hurlers of their generation together in one team with Ken Mcgrath,Dan Shanahan Paul Flynn, John Mullane, Eoin Kelly, Tony Browne makes The fact we couldnt deliver at least one All Ireland a travesty really. Dont try and tell me that the 5 or 6 best players on current KK team are better man for man than those guys. Pity we just couldnt play as a team for 70 mins often enough. .

Agree the players listed above were as good as any but its no good having fantastic forwards if you have a full back line that gets holed below the waterline every second match. We were involved in some very entertaining shootouts as we had such fantastic forwards and such average backs unfortunately.

Pity we didn't do it in 2002 or 2004 when those players were in their pomp. We were close but not good enough unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I came across this article this morning which states that Kevin Ryan is about to be ratified as the new Antrim hurling manager.

I don't know a great deal about Kevin, but I have tracked the considerable progress he made with Carlow from a distance. He must be seriously dedicated if he is prepared to hop in the car to Antrim three or four times a week - it's about a 3.5-4 hour drive currently.

Has he the potential to become Waterford manager if he continues his apprenticeship? By the looks of things we won't be seeing an outsider over a Waterford team for some time.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=177416

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

FIXTURES.

Eastern Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Finals in Kill on Saturday 15th September. St. Saviours v Portlaw at 3:30pm. Cnoc Sion v Clonea at 5pm.

Western Junior Hurling (Premier) Semi-Final, Sun. 16th Sept @ Fraher Field. Colligan v Ballysaggart @ 2:00pm.

Western Junior Football (Senior Attached) Semi-Final, Sunday 16th Sept @ Abbeyside GAA Grounds. Clashmore/Kinsalebeg v An Rinn @ 12 Noon.

Western Junior Football (Senior Attached) Semi-Final, Friday 14th Sept @ Stradbally. Kilrossanty v Stradbally @ 6:30pm.

Western Intermediate Hurling Semi-Final Replay, Friday 14th Sept @ Fraher Field. Rinn Ua gCuanach V Clashmore/Kinsalebeg @ 7:15pm

SNR QF's
    Sat 15 Sept. Fraher Field

4pm Tallow v Dungarvan

5.30pm Lismore v De La Salle

Sun 16 Sept Walsh Park

3pm Mt. Sion v Ballygunner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

comeraghs wrote: »
    FIXTURES.

Eastern Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Finals in Kill on Saturday 15th September. St. Saviours v Portlaw at 3:30pm. Cnoc Sion v Clonea at 5pm.

Western Junior Hurling (Premier) Semi-Final, Sun. 16th Sept @ Fraher Field. Colligan v Ballysaggart @ 2:00pm.

Western Junior Football (Senior Attached) Semi-Final, Sunday 16th Sept @ Abbeyside GAA Grounds. Clashmore/Kinsalebeg v An Rinn @ 12 Noon.

Western Junior Football (Senior Attached) Semi-Final, Friday 14th Sept @ Stradbally. Kilrossanty v Stradbally @ 6:30pm.

Western Intermediate Hurling Semi-Final Replay, Friday 14th Sept @ Fraher Field. Rinn Ua gCuanach V Clashmore/Kinsalebeg @ 7:15pm

SNR QF's
    Sat 15 Sept. Fraher Field

4pm Tallow v Dungarvan

5.30pm Lismore v De La Salle

Sun 16 Sept Walsh Park

3pm Mt. Sion v Ballygunner.

As always, Tomás http://tomasmccarthy.blogspot.ie/ and Thomas http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/ have the senior games previewed on their respective blogs. I think this is the first week, in a while anyway, that the two lads agree on the same four teams to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ballyduff Upper beat Dunhill on a scoreline of 1-20 to 0-18 in the senior hurling relegation playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

anyone have the score in the tallow V Dungarvan game ?

Dungarvan 0-8 Tallow 1-4 at halftime

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

deisedude wrote: »
    Dungarvan 0-8 Tallow 1-4 at halftime

nice one thanks.
    tight enough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

It's 1-12 to 1-08 to dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

DLS 0-24 Lismore 4-11

Very entertaining second game at Fraher Field. Game really sprang to life in the second half, DLS 6pts up and seemed to be cruising to a comfortable victory but Lismore came back with two good goals in a minute from Ray Barry and John Prendergast. It was tit for tat until near the end when DLS opened up a 3pt lead with injury time looming. In injury time, Lismore managed to scramble a shot to the goal (not sure who it was, could have been Dan) to tie up the game but from the puckout, DLS won possession and Eddie Barrett tapped over to go one clear. Ref blew up a minute later so it'll be DLS into the semi's.

Great finish to the game. DLS will be relieved to have gotten through but know they can play better. Lismore will be distraught and wondering what they must do to get a breakthrough. Had Maurice been available, he could have been the difference but it doesn't matter now.

The first game of Dungarvan and Tallow wasn't great IMO. Tallow just didn't have enough scoring forwards and a few late points made Dungarvan pull clear to win by 6pts, 1-16 to 1-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

Thank you, that's a really handy way to keep up to date with the scores

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Cracker of a game between DLS and Lismore. Really entertaining stuff and some great patches of hurling in it.Lismore,minus the services of Maurice Shanahan,really deserved a draw for there efforts but the experience DLS showed in the last quarter really saw them through. They never panicked even when Lismore drew level and had some sterling performances in Kevin Moran and young Jake Dillon(He was outstanding throughout).For Lismore, Big Dan and Ray Barry created havoc in the DLS full back line and their tactic of a 2 man full forward line really caused problems for the city outfit but as i said earlier their experience and maybe that extra bit of craft saw them through.Another few positives for Michael Ryan and his team of selectors were the performances of some of the younger players on both sides.Along with the above mentioned players,young Shane McNulty showed glimpes of his well known talent,and Seanie Barry in goal for Lismore must surely be looked at aswell as he defies his tender years with such confident performances.
    This game will definitely stand to the victors as they go in search of another county title and if they can tighten up their full back line they will still take all the beating,but for any of the remaining clubs left in this year's championship watching tonight,a glimmer of hope will be taken away from the Fraher Field,as the Championship favourites didn't look invincible afterall!!

zol 2 wrote: »
    Another few positives for Michael Ryan and his team of selectors were the performances of some of the younger players on both sides.Along with the above mentioned players,young Shane McNulty showed glimpes of his well known talent,and Seanie Barry in goal for Lismore must surely be looked at aswell as he defies his tender years with such confident performances.

Fully agree on these points, McNulty had an excellent game and threatened every time the ball came near him. Don't understand why he was subbed though, he was doing well, injured maybe? Ray Barry, John and Paudi Prendergast all had solid games, as did Dillon and Daniels for DLS.

As for Seanie Barry, he's a fantastic keeper and plays like he's much much more experienced than an 18 year old. Great puckouts and shot stopping abilities. I'd really like to see him given a chance in the early games of next year for the county, would do his development no harm. Funny that we never had a decent keeper after Landers left and before Clinton arrived and now there's the pick of SOK, Adrian Power (when he does come back from abroad) and Seanie Barry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

zol 2 wrote: »
    Cracker of a game between DLS and Lismore....
    nice snappy and crisp match report, thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Cake Man wrote: »
    Fully agree on these points, McNulty had an excellent game and threatened every time the ball came near him. Don't understand why he was subbed though, he was doing well, injured maybe? Ray Barry, John and Paudi Prendergast all had solid games, as did Dillon and Daniels for DLS.

As for Seanie Barry, he's a fantastic keeper and plays like he's much much more experienced than an 18 year old. Great puckouts and shot stopping abilities. I'd really like to see him given a chance in the early games of next year for the county, would do his development no harm. Funny that we never had a decent keeper after Landers left and before Clinton arrived and now there's the pick of SOK, Adrian Power (when he does come back from abroad) and Seanie Barry!

I was not in Lemybrien today, but was talking to someone at Fraher Field that was and they told me that Adrian was between the posts today. Did not know whether to believe the person or not, as sometimes they have a tendency to tell a tail or two that might not be 100% true.

I was not in Lemybrien today, but was talking to someone at Fraher Field that was and they told me that Adrian was between the posts today. Did not know whether to believe the person or not, as sometimes they have a tendency to tell a tail or two that might not be 100% true.

Interesting, wouldn't surprise me if he was back.

That game was played at Lemybrien today, was thinking earlier, what club's pitch is that?

Adrian was back for the game today,not sure if he is back for good though

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

That game was played at Lemybrien today, was thinking earlier, what club's pitch is that?

Killrossanty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

The first game I thought was pretty poor and while it is a big win for this young Dungarvan team to end up back in a co. semi final since god knows how long it has to be said they were up against a Tallow side who were just awful. unrecognisable from a side that got to a co. final just less than 12 months ago. They looked uninterested and under motivated at times. The writing was on the wall when wing forward Paul Kearney was taken off and went straight to a Tallow manager/selector and having some choice words. its obvious that its not a happy camp
    Dungarvan hit a colossal amount of wides and while there were many talented young players on show for them but they look too raw and inexperienced to be considered serious contenders.

The second game was a much better affair and I was very impressed by young new-look Lismore team. They were complete underdogs going in and with Maurice Shanahan suspended and other key experienced players having emigrated recently you could be forgiven for expecting a washout. It was far from it and they played with a fearlessness and togetherness that other teams could take note of. Some of the old familiar faces seem to have gone and Its definetly the way forward for Lismore. I think while Maurice Shanahan was a loss on an individual basis, hes not a really a team player and his absence galvinised the forwards in a sense and enabled other forwards to step up to the mark. Eventually DLS needed an injury time point to see them off but they can look to the future with plenty of optimism.
    DLS I think went into this game a bit cocky and thinking all they need to was show up. They were nearly caught out and such complacency wont do going forward. They will still be favourites as far as I can see though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Kilrossanty

Cheers lads, was curious as to who played there.

Harty Cup is back this Wednesday. DLS v Castletroy, Blackwater v Our Lady's Templemore, Colaiste na Deise v Doon CBS. Would anyone have an idea of where these games are being played? Would like to try get to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Cheers lads, was curious as to who played there.

Harty Cup is back this Wednesday. DLS v Castletroy, Blackwater v Our Lady's Templemore, Colaiste na Deise v Doon CBS. Would anyone have an idea of where these games are being played? Would like to try get to one.

I'd hazard a guess and say the colaiste na deise match would be on in cashel?

• Advertisement

Mount Sion 0-16 Ballygunner 2-8

Big shock with Sion dumping out defending champions. Dire game only sprang to life about 10 mins into second half. Ballygunner got a second late goal to put a point between the teams but Sion held on.

Semi final draw:

Mount Sion v DLS
    Fourmilewater v Dungarvan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement