Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Driver Recommendation

• 26-01-2015 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a new Driver with a budget up to €300? Was looking at Taylormade SLDR or Cobra's and perhaps Pings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Brandon Grace sure loves his Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond :rolleyes:

http://www.mcguirksgolf.com/page/callaway-big-bertha-alpha-815-drivers/502

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

morrga wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a new Driver with a budget up to €300? Was looking at Taylormade SLDR or Cobra's and perhaps Pings.

I would stay well clear of Cobra anyway.

I would recommend to go and get fitted.

Ask for advice based on your results as to which driver suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 titlebearer

Ping are always a great club for Driving. The new G30 and the last version of G25 are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Sean_pop wrote: »
    I would stay well clear of Cobra anyway.

Why? Seen a few using them well and thelatest are giving very good reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 9to5

If you go to any pro or shop with a trackman or flightscope and tell them you have 300 to spend on a new driver you'll get your choice to hit. No way you should spend 300 without seeing the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

9to5 wrote: »
    If you go to any pro or shop with a trackman or flightscope and tell them you have 300 to spend on a new driver you'll get your choice to hit. No way you should spend 300 without seeing the numbers.

Best advice is to get fitted, even a basic fit somewhere like McGuirks will give you some idea of what you need.

But don't tell them you've up to €300 to spend or you'll end up spending €300 !:)
    Wait to see what clubs work best for you. You should be able to haggle a new Ping G30 down to €300 anyway. It'd be fairly unusual not to find a Ping driver that can't be spec'd to suit someone, without the need to go exotic with shafts, especially that there's multiple G30 heads & lofts available and 3 excellent stock shafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

As above, get one fitted.

I have the Ping G25 and I absolutely love it. I love the way it looks, very understated. I find it very forgiving too with off center strikes. Don't see myself changing it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What did you have before ?

Great deals here for a top of the range driver with great shafts and SureFit hosel.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_titleist+913/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

The latest and greatest drivers from the premium brands will all cost more than €300. But you will pick up some great deals on models that have been out a while or about to be replaced.
    I'd try out the Callaway X-Hots - these are now at a good price.
    If you can get fitted somewhere with a range, all the better - e.g. McGuirks Kinsealy.
    Also, here are some upcoming range demo days and better than hitting indoors at a net:
    http://www.mcguirksgolf.com/page/demo-days/200

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Got the SLDR for €199 in American Golf a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Drivers are personal choices, what works for one person may be a dog for another. I cannot hit draw biased drivers (well I can but when I'm playing well I need to stay away from snap hooks).

Hit as many as you can until you find one that suits your swing. Don't underestimate how the driver sits at address as that can give you confidence.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Why? Seen a few using them well and thelatest are giving very good reviews

I have not used one myself. its just that I heard from people is that they found it difficult to get a consistent ball flight and it was not as forgiving as other drivers on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Sean_pop wrote: »
    I have not used one myself. its just that I heard from people is that they found it difficult to get a consistent ball flight and it was not as forgiving as other drivers on the market.

Cobra are, in my opinion as good as any other brand on the market at the moment, while they are not the "In" brand, i would suggest the lack of consistent ball flight is a direct result of the end user.

neckedit wrote: »
    Cobra are, in my opinion as good as any other brand on the market at the moment, while they are not the "In" brand, i would suggest the lack of consistent ball flight is a direct result of the end user.

You probably hit the nail on the head. Just going on what I heard from others who are of a good standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

What did you have before ?

Great deals here for a top of the range driver with great shafts and SureFit hosel.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_titleist+913/

I have a Cobra S3. Did the job for me as a basic starter driver. Actually quite like it but feel ready to try something different. Hence why I dont mind trying a Cobra again.

I booked into McGuirks to hit a few demos? Does that or the fitting cost anything? They never specified.

Thanks everyone for all comments thus far, all appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Keeping it short and sweet, shaft is 80% of a driver, heads are much of a muchness between all the brands ~ 20%, it's the shaft that will influence your decision. Get fitted.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

slave1 wrote: »
    Keeping it short and sweet, shaft is 80% of a driver, heads are much of a muchness between all the brands ~ 20%, it's the shaft that will influence your decision. Get fitted.

I used to think this but based on recent experience I would put it more at 50/50 to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭BOB81

I have a Cobra S3. Did the job for me as a basic starter driver. Actually quite like it but feel ready to try something different. Hence why I dont mind trying a Cobra again.

I booked into McGuirks to hit a few demos? Does that or the fitting cost anything? They never specified.

Thanks everyone for all comments thus far, all appreciated.

Did a fitting in mcguirks in kinsealy and it was €25 which you can then deduct off the cost of a future purchase. Not sure if the same charge applies for in store launch monitor fitting. As for drivers themselves my vote would be for the g30 (or g25 as they can be had quite reasonably), very forgiving and plenty long

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

I went and got fitted, might be an option for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Put this link on a thread a while back and it went fine well.

http://www.golfwrx.com/202229/2014-gear-trials-best-drivers/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Try the ping G30 or G30 LS.

Don't get the sldr. You need to have a certain swing speed to be able to hit. The most returned driver in history, I'd wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Tilikum wrote: »

Don't get the sldr. You need to have a certain swing speed to be able to hit. The most returned driver in history, I'd wager.
    `
    Not a certain swing speed but critical that you are fit properly or it will not perform at all due to the forward COG

Tilikum wrote: »

I tried to hit this during a fitting in December, tried being the proper word, not a hope

slave1 wrote: »
    I tried to hit this during a fitting in December, tried being the proper word, not a hope

I tried Titleist 915,Ping i25,Ping G30 ,TM Jetspeed & SLDR. The longest & most consistent for me was the SLDR. Horses for courses I suppose

mafc wrote: »
    ...Horses for courses I suppose...

Absolutely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Anyone aware of any place in Cork where PING or Taylormade or doing a demo day similar to the above in McGuirks?
    I'm looking to try a driver or two as well but really would like to see some numbers on a flight scope as opposed to just lashing at a net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Cona wrote: »
    Anyone aware of any place in Cork where PING or Taylormade or doing a demo day similar to the above in McGuirks?
    I'm looking to try a driver or two as well but really would like to see some numbers on a flight scope as opposed to just lashing at a net.

Pretty sure American Golf have a flight scope. As far as I know you can book a slot on it. I have it in my head that it's free but not 100% on that.

cairny wrote: »
    Pretty sure American Golf have a flight scope. As far as I know you can book a slot on it. I have it in my head that it's free but not 100% on that.

It's free in Tallaght store, spent an hour trying different clubs and didn't have to pre book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Halpenny has a flightscope too. Will let you try clubs out I reckon. It's the fitting they would charge for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Halpenny has a flightscope too. Will let you try clubs out I reckon. It's the fitting they would charge for.

Trackman in Drogheda , they used to have a Vector but upgraded late last year.

Advertisement