Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here* - Page 61 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-01-2015, 23:21   #901
jellybeangreen

Hi, I'm a 6th year with no college experience. However I will have to start thinking about accommodation soon. See me and my boyfriend want to live together during college and I was wondering if that was possible in student accommodation? I mean is there strictly a boys section and a girls section? Are you mixed? Can you share a room? And if so, can it be with a partner? Or if not are they strict about staying in each other's rooms? Is there rules about any of that kinda stuff? I just don't know what to expect. Is it anything similar to a hostel setting?
Advertisement
07-01-2015, 23:40   #902
jellybeangreen

And if you book student accommodation can you tell them you want to be housed with someone in particular? Would they take that on board?
07-01-2015, 23:52   #903
xLisaBx

You'll be sharing an apartment with other students, so keep this in mind when considering sharing with your boyfriend. You must book seperate bedrooms, but obviously you cam stay with one another.
Thanks from:
07-01-2015, 23:57   #904
jellybeangreen

Thanks...do they house you with certain people if you request to be?
And also, does anyone know what brookfield accommodation is like these days? I've heard bad things in the past but it happens to be the most convenient...
08-01-2015, 00:01   #905
xLisaBx

Yes, you can request to share together.

Brookfield is one of the cheapest, and very conveniently located. However it's horrible inside. Farranlea Hall and Victoria Lodge are lovely inside but more expensive.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2015, 00:09   #906
jellybeangreen

Thank you so much, you've been a great help!
08-01-2015, 00:10   #907
xLisaBx

No worries, ask any more questions as they arise, I'll try to help!
08-01-2015, 00:13   #908
Finance Grad 2015

Jellybean, just be aware that you will be sharing With other people, who might find it awkward sharing with a couple!
08-01-2015, 17:13   #909
CaoimheCweeva

Jellybean, you don't have to specify you want to share with your boyfriend, you just put their name down on the form, to them he could just be a friend of yours. It could be awkward for your other flatmates so do keep it in mind!
Advertisement
09-01-2015, 12:50   #910
maughantourig

What a friend of mine and her boyfriend did last year was book rooms in two separate apartments last year, but in the same complex.

They were a 30 second walk from each others apartments which was convenient, but when they did break up, they didn't have to face each other every day. Living with a couple is grand as long as everyone gets on, but tis awkward to f**k if they break up. For everyone.
09-01-2015, 12:58   #911
maughantourig

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLisaBx View Post
Which is the best place for parties? I know it sounds stupid but I want to make more friends next year
Apparently they are relatively strict in brookfield and castlewhite, but I've never witnessed any problems in either.
Dean's Hall and the Village are fairly relaxed as long as you're not too loud.
Not too sure about Vic Mills or Farranlea.
Copley and Lancaster Hall are quite strict, but they would contain a lot of older students.
It goes without saying that houses are the easiest for parties

If you want to make more friends next year, then it might be a good idea to join some clubs/socs. They are a great way to meet people
20-01-2015, 21:44   #912
Ray971

Hey everyone, just looking for advice about accommodation in Cork for next year. I'm thinking about Brookfield or The Student Village but I have a few questions.

Firstly, Brookfield. Can I book with my friends and get an apartment with them? Do they allow people from colleges other than UCC to stay here? Are apartments mixed? Is the accommodation nice in general and is there en suite bathrooms for everyone or is it shared bathrooms?

Now, The Village. Can students book accommodation here also if they are attending a college other than UCC? Are the rooms en suite? Is there a dishwasher? Is it mixed apartments and can I book with friends? What's the apartments like in general? Is it on a bus route to CIT?

Oh, and for both colleges, are the showers, heating and wifi all good?

So sorry for all the questions I'm such a worrier haha. Thanks in advance!
20-01-2015, 23:39   #913
CaoimheCweeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray971 View Post
Hey everyone, just looking for advice about accommodation in Cork for next year. I'm thinking about Brookfield or The Student Village but I have a few questions.

Firstly, Brookfield. Can I book with my friends and get an apartment with them? Do they allow people from colleges other than UCC to stay here? Are apartments mixed? Is the accommodation nice in general and is there en suite bathrooms for everyone or is it shared bathrooms?

Now, The Village. Can students book accommodation here also if they are attending a college other than UCC? Are the rooms en suite? Is there a dishwasher? Is it mixed apartments and can I book with friends? What's the apartments like in general? Is it on a bus route to CIT?

Oh, and for both colleges, are the showers, heating and wifi all good?

So sorry for all the questions I'm such a worrier haha. Thanks in advance!
Regarding the Village: yes, you can book with friends. As far as I'm aware, students from other colleges can live there, but I'm not 100% sure. The 208 bus isn't a DIRECT route to CIT, but it brings you pretty close alright, and the bus stop for it is just around the corner. There is 1 en suite in nearly all the apartments. Heating is good, wifi was pretty filtered when I was there, may have gotten more lax though, I'm not too sure. I had a dishwasher in my apartment, but my boyfriend's apartment didn't have one, so you can probably ask to be put in an apartment with one. The apartments aren't usually mixed, but I lived in a mixed apartment because I asked to live with both guys and girls

Brookfield: I've never lived here, but I'll tell you as much as I can from what I've seen. I don't think the apartments are usually mixed genders, but maybe you can ask. You can ask to live with friends. Not sure if they allow CIT etc students to live there. I don't think there's en suite bathrooms, but again I'm not sure - look at their website? I'd say certain apartments have some, and others don't.
Regarding if it's nice...from what I saw, it's not really. I'd a friend live there, and it was so small and cramped. The bedrooms are okay size, but the living room and kitchen area isn't. However, that was a "downstairs" apartment. I was in an "upstairs" apartment too, and it was bigger, but I think it was a 6 bed instead of 4.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion