Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road Construction Projects - Start & End Dates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

Is the Ring road project the one from the N69 to Lohercannon that goes via the Kerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

In terms of an up-to-date assessment of National Roads under construction in 2011, and the new Capital Investment Programme, this is my assessment as of Nov, 2011:

Under Construction 2011
    N3 Belturbet By Pass
    N5 Longford By Pass
    N22 Tralee By Pass
    N25 Cork Southern Ring Road Interchanges
    N87 Ballyconnell Relief Road

Tender Stage: To Construction ASAP
    N4 The Downs Grade Separation
    N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad (Dalystown)

To Be Progressed to Construction 2012
    N5 Ballaghadereen Bypass

2011 Committment but PPP/Funding Uncertainty
    N7/N11 Arklow Rathnew/Newlands Cross
    M17/18 Gort to Tuam

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

tomflynn wrote: »

M17/18 Gort to Tuam
    N7/11 will likely start 2012 and M17/18 in 2013. The Strategic investment fund should cover both.

Updated to reflect recent contract awards and N7/N11 Arklow Rathnew/Newlands Cross EIB/BoI PPP funding announcement today:
    tomflynn wrote: »
    In terms of an up-to-date assessment of National Roads under construction in 2011, and the new Capital Investment Programme, this is my assessment as of Dec, 2011:

Under Construction 2011
    N3 Belturbet By Pass
    N5 Longford By Pass
    N22/N69/N70 Tralee By Pass
    N25 Cork Southern Ring Road Interchanges
    N87 Ballyconnell Relief Road

Contracts Awarded: To Construction ASAP
    N4 The Downs Grade Separation
    N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad (Dalystown)

N5 Ballaghadereen Bypass

M17/18 Gort to Tuam

More detailed info on National Primary Part 8 Schemes also here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75897915&postcount=199

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

I wouldn't get too optimistic about these schemes... Ireland is about to be downgraded further into junk territory. With a simmering European debt crisis, private investors are unlikely to return to fund these schemes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Skopzz wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too optimistic about these schemes... Ireland is about to be downgraded further into junk territory. With a simmering European debt crisis, private investors are unlikely to return to fund these schemes.

Only two of those schemes need private investors and only one doesn't have said investor already announced.

Updated assessment of 'significant' National Road schemes under construction as of Jan, 2012:

Under Construction 2012
    N3 Belturbet By Pass (6.7km)
    N5 Longford By Pass (2.6km)
    N22/N69/N70 Tralee By Pass (13.5km)
    N25 Cork Southern Ring Road Interchanges (3km)
    N87 Ballyconnell Relief Road (1.8km)
    N4 The Downs Grade Separation (5km)
    N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad (Dalystown) (5.6km)

Contracts Awarded: To Construction ASAP
    M1 Swords Improvement Scheme Junction 3 (Drinan) to Junction 4 (Lissenhall) [4km; Part 8 Scheme]

N5 Ballaghadereen Bypass (13.5km)
    N7/N11 Newlands Cross / Arklow-Rathnew (EIB/BoI PPP Funding) (N7/N11: 1.8km / 16.5km)

2012 Budget Committment but PPP/Funding Uncertainty
    M17/18 Gort to Tuam (56.2km)

More detailed info on 'more minor' National Primary Part 8 Schemes also here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75897915&postcount=199

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

OK Lads. One thread each, there is a recession on. :D

Minor Works Construction Starts 2012 Length in km Contracting Authority

N51 Littlegrange Road Improvement Scheme Louth County Council
    N52 Rathconnell to Macetown Realignment 1.5 Westmeath County Council
    N25 RSMIS Begerin 2.5 Wexford County Council
    N86 Annascaul to Gortbreagoge LVNS 4.2 Kerry County Council
    N56 Cloghbolie to Boyoughter LVNS 3.3 Donegal County Council
    M1 Drynam to Lissenhall Widening Scheme € Fingal County Council
    N55 Corduff to Ballytrust Realignment Scheme m Cavan County Council
    N6 Athlone Bypass Junction Upgrades Westmeath County Council
    N59 Kilbride Road Improvement LVNS 2.85 Mayo County Council
    N53 Realignment Barrownstown to Newtownbalregan 3.5 Louth County Council
    N17 Castletown Realignment — Pavement & Minor Works 2.3 Galway County Council
    N6 Bothar na dTreabh Cyclewayl Pedestrian Improvements 12 Galway City Council
    MSA Tranche 2 Advance Works O NRA
    M7/N24 Ballysimon Junction 2 Limerick County Council
    N69 Rea to Tullig Realignment Scheme 3.5 Kerry County Council
    N62 RSMIS Birr to Cloghan and Doon Cross Offaly County Council
    N72 Realignment at Carrig m Cork County Council
    N67 Crag Realignment Clare County Council
    N21 Killarney Pole to Barnagh Road Safety Scheme 2 Limerick County Council
    N2 Monaghan to Emyvale Improvements Phase 2 2 Monaghan County Council
    N2 RSMIS Bends between Monaghan and Emyvale 2.5 Monaghan County Council
    N72 Bridgetown Upper/Castletownroche Overlay Scheme 2.5 Cork County Council
    N69 Bolane Bends Road Safety Scheme 1 Limerick County Council
    N67 Ballinderreen to Kinvara Realignment Scheme 4 Galway County Council
    N55 Dundavan Mullaghoran Realignment Scheme 2.7 Cavan County Council
    N52 Congarl Ballyluskey realignment 2.2 North Tipperary County Council
    N24 Brooks Bridge/Oola Bridge 0.3 Limerick County Council
    N4 Ardloy Bend Realignment 1.3 Sligo County Council
    N17 Carrownurlaur Realignment Scheme 1.4 Galway County Council
    N59 Farrenyharpey to Ballygreighan Realignment 3 Sligo County Council
    N51 Dunmoe Phase 2 Meath County Council

National Roads Authority Confidential 09/01/2012

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Many thanks Esteemed Sponginess.

Could you add a direct link to a map of the project to each line above?

Thanking you in anticipation :)

(With the weather deader than the National Infrastructure Plan we need some entertainment on these warm winter nights)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

N4 The Downs Grade Separation Road Scheme

SIAC Construction Ltd, on behalf of Westmeath County Council, have commenced works on the N4 between Clongowney and McNeads Bridge. Works have now started on site. A traffic management plan is in place and traffic on one section of the dual carriageway has been reduced to one lane in both directions. Also, some median crossings have been closed and diversions are in place via Junction 13, McNeads Bridge and Junction 15, Marlinstown. These works may result in delays at peak times. The anticipated completion date is December 2012. Westmeath County Council regrets any inconvenience caused during the course of these roadworks.

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/news/name,11038,en.html

• Advertisement

Yep, was there today and the works are well started....

IMG_0459-2.jpg

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'd say N52 Carrickbridge to Clonfad will start soon. I've emailed Jons Construction to see if they've a date.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'd say N52 Carrickbridge to Clonfad will start soon. I've emailed Jons Construction to see if they've a date.
    They never got back to me, but the NRA did:

Dear xx,

Thank you for your email regarding the N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad.

The contract for the scheme has been awarded to Jons Civil Engineering Co. Ltd.  Design works are ongoing and elements of the site works have commenced.

Regards,
    Annamarie McNally

Original Message
    Sent: 01 March 2012 21:49
    To: INFO
    Subject: N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad

Hi,
    The N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad road scheme was listed for a start in 2011. However it was then announced that it would start early in 2012. Can I ask if there is a definite start date for this project?

Regards

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Passed there a few days ago, the site offices are in place but no on-ground work has started otherwise.

I've created a map that animates over time the development of the major roads in Ireland.

I've created a map that animates over time the development of the major roads in Ireland.

Which appears to be missing the Oranmore Bypass ;)

Great site Spacetweek - good stuff! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Great idea mate - was hoping for something that would graphically show the development of Ireland's motorways over the years - 2007 to 2010 was definitely the golden age of motorway building programme - even though the road building that's happening now is far better than nothing, it's really nothing compared to then. I guess 2013 should see the completion of:

M1 Jct 3 to Jct 4 Widening and Jct 4 Upgrade;
    N3 Belturbet Bypass;
    N5 Longford Bypass;
    N6 Galway Bothar na dTreabh Multi-modal Scheme;
    N17 Castletown Realignment;
    N21 Killarney Pole to Barnagh;
    N22/N69 Tralee Bypass (maybe);
    N24 Ballysimon Upgrade;
    N25 CSRR Interchanges;
    N52 Macetown Realignment (North of Mullingar);
    N87 Ballyconnell Relief Road (Partial Bypass).

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Another great page here!

AFAIK, the N52 Carrickbridge to Clonfad is now underway with site offices in place and a scheduled completion date of December 2012 according to this.

:):):)

Thanks everyone, I got the animation idea from Skyscraper City where some other peeps around the world have done similar things for their own countries.
    Another great page here!

AFAIK, the N52 Carrickbridge to Clonfad is now underway with site offices in place and a scheduled completion date of December 2012 according to this.
    Oh, thanks for that Irish&P. Had been trying to get info on it from the NRA on another thread. I'll update my site.

It's a bit sad but you'll notice that on my site I have things like Enfield to Edenderry listed even though this is an R-road - in this day and age you have to take what you can get!

MYOB - I know! I don't have great info for Galway. The Oranmore BP opened in 1986 (from a Sabre thread) but the Galway Inner Bypass part that the M6 joins to was sometime from 1995-2000 according to OSI emaps. I'd need more detailed info here. There's other stuff like the Waterford Southern Bypass, but this is an R-road. Maybe for completeness I should be including these, but that'd never end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

MYOB - I know! I don't have great info for Galway. The Oranmore BP opened in 1986 (from a Sabre thread) but the Galway Inner Bypass part that the M6 joins to was sometime from 1995-2000 according to OSI emaps.

The so called inner bypass (bothar Na dTreabh) was opened in stages between 84 & 96. I can't remember righlty when QB was opened (the quincentenial bit is a hint, Galway celebrated 500 years as a majoral town in 1984). The next two sections (between the Headford & Monviea Rds) were opened up in 1987. The next two linking them into the DC to Oranmore (built in the early 90s) was opened in 1996 (edit - just checked the 1995 OSI map, it's not there so it was '96).

antoobrien wrote: »
    (edit - just checked the 1995 OSI map, it's not there so it was '96).
    I can see it was't there in 95, but are you sure it was 96?

It's a bit sad but you'll notice that on my site I have things like Enfield to Edenderry listed even though this is an R-road - in this day and age you have to take what you can get!

Not at all!

With most of the motorways built secondary and regional roads are much in need of improvement.

Was wandering, basically lost, on the edge of the city near Tyrellstown and noticed some fairly hefty projects underway.

Some roads were being upgraded from single to dual carriageway and some others (basically country lanes) were being completely realigned.

Anyone got any details?

As I say - I was lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I can see it was't there in 95, but are you sure it was 96?

I remember it opening during a summer, can't remember was it 95 or 96. Given the fact that it took a few months to build the roads in question (iirc started at about easter) and it's not in the OSI maps for 95 I'm leaning towards 96.

I'm postive however that it was open in Sept 1996.

I remember it opening during a summer, can't remember was it 95 or 96. Given the fact that it took a few months to build the roads in question (iirc started at about easter) and it's not in the OSI maps for 95 I'm leaning towards 96.
    Thanks for that, but I notice roads that opened in 2004 are shown in the 2005 map as still UC, so I think the year is the year they collated their images and the photos were taken the previous year.
    So the Galway road could still have been opened in 1995.

I can't remember righlty when QB was opened (the quincentenial bit is a hint, Galway celebrated 500 years as a majoral town in 1984).
    Yep, this article says it was 1984.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The so called inner bypass (bothar Na dTreabh) was opened in stages between 84 & 96. I can't remember righlty when QB was opened (the quincentenial bit is a hint, Galway celebrated 500 years as a majoral town in 1984). The next two sections (between the Headford & Monviea Rds) were opened up in 1987. The next two linking them into the DC to Oranmore (built in the early 90s) was opened in 1996 (edit - just checked the 1995 OSI map, it's not there so it was '96).

The bridge itself was started ( just about) in 1984 and was named after the celebrations that took place that year although the work on its approach roads..particularly the eastern one...had started maybe 2 years earlier. It opened around 1987 I think...perhaps 1986. The first bit that opened was Corrib Park to Newcastle road, I think...or else Tuam Road - Ballybrit Roundabout and that would have been in 1984 or so.

The missing link to finish the DC from Ballybrit to Oranmore could have been opened as late as 1997.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Was wandering, basically lost, on the edge of the city near Tyrellstown and noticed some fairly hefty projects underway.

Some roads were being upgraded from single to dual carriageway and some others (basically country lanes) were being completely realigned.

Anyone got any details?
    That was the M2-Blanchardstown/Tyrellstown link road, discussed here. It crept in right under our noses!

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Not at all!

With most of the motorways built secondary and regional roads are much in need of improvement.

The motorways that are built are all south of Galway and east of Maynooth. So before they start looking at these secondary roads in these parts they may want to look at the primary roads of a massive part of the country whose roads have been neglected.

Even if they managed a motorway Maynooth to SLigo or even Longford, it would keep most of the West happy as lots of us could join in half way to Dublin at Longford. Or even get some start on the Tuam Bypass. The N17 and N5 still remain some of the most difficult and dangerous roads to drive in the country. Pity the money assigned for the BMW area by europe wasn't spent in the disadvantaged BMW area by the previous goverment.

• Advertisement

Pity the money assigned for the BMW area by europe wasn't spent in the disadvantaged BMW area by the previous goverment.
    Yis got the Charlestown Bypass - be thankful! j/k

Advertisement