Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New fleet announcement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

:(
    In the UK they made a sizeable contract and order from Hyundai for the fuel capacity (diesel), road performance and reliability.

Forces throughout the UK are expected to get the Hyundai i20, i30, ix35, i40, Santa Fe and iLoad van. Combined order gives a total 7,440, big difference in the budget and also they have an independent watchdog that makes sure the DOJ spend properly. In bold writing in there contract it stated a 5 YEAR MILEAGE warranty which is what they wanted.

I don't know the mileage warranty was with ford but I think its less than 5 years and opel was less is well.

Over here we go a similar way to the UK except we don't have a watchdog to looking at shatters spending.

If you buy a Hyundai as a normal owner - you do get a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty - as far as I know.

However when you say 5 year mileage warranty for the Uk police contract - surely that's not unlimited mileage on repairs etc.

Surely Hyundai aren't going to do big repairs on a police car at 225,000 miles for free surely.

There is however one key difference between here and Uk - yes both are going Hyundai - the difference though is that in the Uk - if you need a higher performance car - 530d or the like - for certain tasks like traffic - it gets bought - no sweat.

Over here - you could end up with the 1.7 diesel doing traffic corps work just to make up the numbers :(.

Still can't believe that someone appears to think somewhere along the line that running a hard working garda patrol car past 200,000 miles is a good idea.

Ive a cure for that person though - if they are senior enough to get a company car - then make that company car last until beyond 200,000 miles plus. :D.

Youd have a rethink soon enough then lol.

On a serious note though - I see ex police cars being sold in the Uk - and they often move them on (traffic cars anyhow) at between 100 and 150,000 miles.

Wonder if Hyundai are factoring in the Uk warranty on this basis - ie the car will be long gone before the 5 years are up.

I wonder how many big senior guys in civil service and other parts of the state system - run their company cars (couldn't give a toss about their own private cars) to 200,000 miles plus :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Old diesel wrote: »
    :(

If you buy a Hyundai as a normal owner - you do get a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty - as far as I know.

However when you say 5 year mileage warranty for the Uk police contract - surely that's not unlimited mileage on repairs etc.

Surely Hyundai aren't going to do big repairs on a police car at 225,000 miles for free surely.

There is however one key difference between here and Uk - yes both are going Hyundai - the difference though is that in the Uk - if you need a higher performance car - 530d or the like - for certain tasks like traffic - it gets bought - no sweat.

Over here - you could end up with the 1.7 diesel doing traffic corps work just to make up the numbers :(.

Still can't believe that someone appears to think somewhere along the line that running a hard working garda patrol car past 200,000 miles is a good idea.

Ive a cure for that person though - if they are senior enough to get a company car - then make that company car last until beyond 200,000 miles plus. :D.

Youd have a rethink soon enough then lol.

On a serious note though - I see ex police cars being sold in the Uk - and they often move them on (traffic cars anyhow) at between 100 and 150,000 miles.

Wonder if Hyundai are factoring in the Uk warranty on this basis - ie the car will be long gone before the 5 years are up.

I wonder how many big senior guys in civil service and other parts of the state system - run their company cars (couldn't give a toss about their own private cars) to 200,000 miles plus :rolleyes:.

I think its more of a corporate contract other that personal contract so id imagine Hyundai will probably get their moneys worth from the contract because of amount of patrol cars been purchased.

If management seen how good the Volvos are running they should go with them because they're a excellent patrol car in terms of speed, endurance, terrain, size. And Volvo are contracts are not that expensive your getting value for money and most importantly they can be adapted in a purpose built patrol car and they're diesel.

:) yes, im sure if you let the state owned mercedes run passed 200k you'll see him/her in a new one sharpish. in fact if it hit one of our tax paying pot holes they'd have there car replaced(after they claim damages) but that's a class problem which they like to keep reminding us of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Hyundai are certainly winning a lot of state contracts. They also built all of the new intercity trains for Irish Rail. They did a good job on them too! Those very new ones with the power sockets at every seat are Hyundai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Could easily see the dopey civil servants over here paying the same price for a Hyundai excluding VRT as the UK police would pay for a BMW 320d or an Audi A4 Quattro - or indeed my fave Focus ST estate

Can't they not get some proper cars in - Focus ST estate is what id like to see :D

Civil servants making those decisions are alot more experienced in fleet management and budget control and no where near as dopey as you might think ;)

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Hyundai are certainly winning a lot of state contracts. They also built all of the new intercity trains for Irish Rail. They did a good job on them too! Those very new ones with the power sockets at every seat are Hyundai.
    there only short of putting power socket in garda cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

They do have petrol engines in other markets - think theres a 1.8/2.0 direct injection or some such thing.

Know very little about it because although a car enthusiast - I promptly lost interest in the i40 when the only engine available here was a 1.7 diesel.

I mean look at the size of the car :rolleyes:, I know that's as much down to the marketing approach in Ireland - all diesel.

But mother of god - 12.6 seconds 0 to 60 - hopeless for 999 response - I think anyway.

Especially when there are other options there - and no I don't mean ST Focus estates or 530ds or 3.0 tdi A6s :D.

Even looking at VAG group - Skodas for example - gives you options.

VAG tend to have a very wide range of cars - with the option to tool up for practically every operational requirement.

This business of even dealing with manufacturers who cant meet all requirements (Toyota and Hyundai) is a bit nonsense imo.

Would still love to know how the i40 can deliver a higher mileage limit compared to the Mondeos or (presumably) other cars that could be bought.

Personally in the absence of evidence to the contrary - I would be of the view that Hyundai - have probably pushed the mileage limits up - to win business.

However - im happy to be very much proven wrong - and if the i40 is genuinely capable of 200,000 miles plus trouble free operation in Garda use - it would make a fantastic car for normal private motorists - inspite of whatever limitations it has in performance and roadholding for garda use.

Probably not neccessarly a disaster though once we don't start seeing them being used for traffic ;).

Still think at the moment theres better options out there - if you won't have Audi or BMW due to servicing and/or purchasing costs theres also stuff like the Vrs from Skoda.

And I imagine the new 177 2.0 tdi in a Passat should move well too - and they do a very nice 160 bhp 1.8 tsi (8.6 secs 0 to 60 in a Passat from memory).

Like I say - theres other options to consider - I think

The thing is, if VAG don't supply cars for the tender process then it doesn't matter what anybody thinks because they cannot be considered.

miju wrote: »
    Civil servants making those decisions are alot more experienced in fleet management and budget control and no where near as dopey as you might think ;)

Yeah - that may have being a bit harsh - but ive heard elsewhere that the uk boys get decent discounts on BMWs and Audis and the like for Uk police use.

And knowing how the irish state normally does things - its hard not to have visions of an Audi A4 Quattro being sold to the Uk police for what the Gardaí would pay for an Avensis 2.0 D4D.

But I accept the point that theres people in the system that are experienced and know their job well - so will accept my humble pie with good grace - and admit that I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

AGS are being spoiled with their new fleet announcements :o

Worth highlighting how bad things are in the world of FIRE.

No new fire engines announced in 2012
    No new fire engines announced in 2013
    Indications are that there may be 5 new fire engines announced in 2014 but not confirmed.

There are approximately 300 frontline fire engines in the country. There are currently vehicles in frontline service which are 20 years old. There needs to be 20-25 new vehicles announced every year to keep the fleet in a reasonable condition but we are falling well short of that.

Maybe if AGS don't want the Hyundais FIRE could take them, put a few fire extinguishers in the boot, a ladder on the roof and hey presto.......

Only a matter of time before something happens which causes harm to somebody

dfbemt wrote: »

Indications are that there may be 5 new fire engines announced in 2014 but not confirmed.

There are approximately 300 frontline fire engines in the country. There are currently vehicles in frontline service which are 20 years old. There needs to be 20-25 new vehicles announced every year to keep the fleet in a reasonable condition but we are falling well short of that.

Maybe if AGS don't want the Hyundais FIRE could take them, put a few fire extinguishers in the boot, a ladder on the roof and hey presto.......

Ouch that's seriously not good - youd think the high bosses would be learning their lessons after the Wicklow tragedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Yeah - that may have being a bit harsh - but ive heard elsewhere that the uk boys get decent discounts on BMWs and Audis and the like for Uk police use.

Depends on their process but its highly unlikely that the situation in UK (I do know the answer though can't discuss on boards).

Fact is UK is subject to the same EU directives.and laws as Ireland when it comes to these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

DFB http://d121tcdkpp02p4.cloudfront.net/clim/161261/D22-6x-1382049341.jpg

Mayo Fire Service http://d121tcdkpp02p4.cloudfront.net/clim/161261/131-MO-1371862439.jpg

Galway Fire Service http://d121tcdkpp02p4.cloudfront.net/clim/161261/532795-512779138784193-741849706-n-1366295088.jpg

Just three examples of appliance bought this year

D Trent wrote: »

Not sure what the purpose of the pics is but those pics are for vehicles which were announced in June 2011. Unlike a standard car, which is what the bulk of AGS vehicles are, a fire engine has to be made from scratch. From the time the relevant minister makes his announcement, it can take anything from 18 - 24 months for a fire appliance to be delivered.

The announcement is the first stage of the process, then there has to be tenders advertised, tenders evaluated, preferred supplier advertised, time allowed for decision to be appealed, time for design to be finalised, chassis order, build time, etc, etc.

With no new vehicles announced in 2012 and 2013, as per my post, there will be no deliveries following on from these years.

Hope this helps explain how bad things really are in FIRE. The reg numbers can be very misleading when the background information is not understood :o

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Yes I agree there is need for investment in the fire service fleet. The AGS cars can be on the roads over 20 hours a day everywhere day, they spend more time on the road than off that's why there needed investment in the AGS fleet. Fire services buys in used fleet where the AGS can't be purchased used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

there only short of putting power socket in garda cars

Don't be giving the Minister ideas for rural transport...

A new fleet's long overdue though - glad to see it happening even if it's not the highest spec.

They need a few high performance vehicles for motorway patrol though. Although, that being said, you'd wonder what the point of creating high-speed chases is. Rolling blocks work nicely in the UK but even a very small fleet of 4 or 5 decent cars for those kinds of duties would make a lot of sense I think.

I wonder if you could get any EU support for eco-vechicles like maybe hybrids or something ... There's eco-funding out there...
    Even if it were only for use in city centre areas in Dublin / Cork maybe Limerick/Galway etc it might be handy.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Don't be giving the Minister ideas for rural transport...

A new fleet's long overdue though - glad to see it happening even if it's not the highest spec.

They need a few high performance vehicles for motorway patrol though. Although, that being said, you'd wonder what the point of creating high-speed chases is. Rolling blocks work nicely in the UK but even a very small fleet of 4 or 5 decent cars for those kinds of duties would make a lot of sense I think.

I wonder if you could get any EU support for eco-vechicles like maybe hybrids or something ... There's eco-funding out there...

Im not sure what you mean by rolling blocks - but if you mean the idea of getting 4 or 5 cars around the suspect vehicle - vehicles in front, to the side(s) and to the back - and bringing the suspect to a halt because his blocked in - I would say you actually need something with power to be able to pull it off.

Whether it needs to be a 530d or a 3.0 tdi Audi is a matter of debate - but 1.7 diesel and 12.6 secs 0 to 60 isn't really cutting it I think.

Would rather see either a specific tender for traffic corps/RSU type machines - or for the whole tender to go to a manufacturer that can supply a suitable range of vehicles for the whole tender - if and as required.

That's why its would be such a pity if VAG weren't coming to the table in participating in the tenders - they have a very wide range of cars between all their brands - everything from a Caddy van right up to an A6 3.0 tdi twin/triple turbo.

Be interesting to know how the Audis in the Uk are getting on - or not as the case might be.

It raises interesting questions regarding how the North and the UK (wasn't there a picture here somewhere of A6 avants fully marked up - going for the north???) buy A6s and the like - but we managed with Hyundais.

Either the Uk and the North are buying expensive cars that are not needed or (and this is my suspicion - right or wrong) the irish boys are buying vehicles not up to the job that they (vehicles) need to do.

Someones getting it wrong somewhere imo

POGAN wrote: »
    Yes I agree there is need for investment in the fire service fleet. The AGS cars can be on the roads over 20 hours a day everywhere day, they spend more time on the road than off that's why there needed investment in the AGS fleet. Fire services buys in used fleet where the AGS can't be purchased used.

Agree with you.

Don't get me wrong. I am not knocking the AGS fleet approval. It is clear to see that it is very much needed. I am just highlighting that FIRE is suffering and with no approvals since 2011 we are going to find ourselves in a lot of trouble very quickly.

Big problem with buying in used fleet from the UK is that there is very little life left in them. Uk FIRE used to dispose of their vehicles after 10 years but with their own cuts that has now moved out to 12 - 14 years. at this stage there is very little life left in them. I am aware of 6 vehicles alone which were bought from UK FIRE and scrapped after 2 years in service here. We are also competing with other 3rd world countries for these cheaper vehicles. :o

Of all the frontline services, FIRE seems to end up worse off which is, in my opinion, because we are part of Local Government and not part of a national service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

The gards might be better off without VAG supplying cars
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056891068

I40 medical car in UK, think the gards would be getting one similar to this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLOixaoHvM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Agree with you.

Don't get me wrong. I am not knocking the AGS fleet approval. It is clear to see that it is very much needed. I am just highlighting that FIRE is suffering and with no approvals since 2011 we are going to find ourselves in a lot of trouble very quickly.

Big problem with buying in used fleet from the UK is that there is very little life left in them. Uk FIRE used to dispose of their vehicles after 10 years but with their own cuts that has now moved out to 12 - 14 years. at this stage there is very little life left in them. I am aware of 6 vehicles alone which were bought from UK FIRE and scrapped after 2 years in service here. We are also competing with other 3rd world countries for these cheaper vehicles. :o

Of all the frontline services, FIRE seems to end up worse off which is, in my opinion, because we are part of Local Government and not part of a national service.

I would have thought that, given that fire trucks are built on a chassis designed to pull freight ten hours a day, the overall wear on them is quite little. A police car is designed to do maybe two hours work a day and sit in the driveway / car park for 22 hours but ends up on the road for 22.

The refresh rate can't be compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I would have thought that, given that fire trucks are built on a chassis designed to pull freight ten hours a day, the overall wear on them is quite little. A police car is designed to do maybe two hours work a day and sit in the driveway / car park for 22 hours but ends up on the road for 22.

You do have a point, but also consider that when a fire engine gets tasked firstly it is under a lot more stress than its truck equivalent and secondly when it arrives on scene the engine has to be left on as it is required to power pumps and lights etc. Obviously depending on the call this may be for quite a long time.

• Advertisement

No comparison being made. It appears that AGS replacement policy is based on 200,000kms. FIRE have no replacement policy. We wing it, like a lot of what we do.

Approximately half of all the mileage on a fire engine sees the vehicle being driven to it limits. Hard acceleration, high speeds, hard braking. Then at an incident the engine is generally running at high revs to power all that lighting and to provide pressure to the pump. These hours do not appear on the odometer and are calculated at a rate of approximately 80kms to every hour. This hidden mileage is nearly always overlooked.

I certainly didn't want this to degenerate into AGS v's FIRE. I have merely highlighted that the FIRE fleet is deteriorating and no money is being provided at the moment for replacements. I welcome the announcement on AGS fleet.

Can the gards use CAB repossessions? i.e. the X5 cant be the only repossessed car given to the force.

Yea they can. They have a few armoured BMW's that were seized as they were being driven by drug dealers having bought them with the proceeds of crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

dh0011 wrote: »
    Yea they can. They have a few armoured BMW's that were seized as they were being driven by drug dealers having bought them with the proceeds of crime.

You'd think they would have loads more seized cars in use by now:eek:..

The cars become the property of the minister for finance. He decides where they should go.

think there was only one BMW given to the force everything else went to auction but there has to be more given to the force than one x5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

think there was only one BMW given to the force everything else went to auction but there has to be more given to the force than one x5

It was because the x5 is bulletproof and no civilian could have a legitimate reason for having a bulletproof vehicle. Those with a resale value and which are not controlled are sold to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

It was because the x5 is bulletproof and no civilian could have a legitimate reason for having a bulletproof vehicle.

While I see where you are coming from, what is the law to say a civvie can't have a bulletproof vehicle? None that I am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

It was because the x5 is bulletproof

I can't imagine that x5 being too fuel efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

There was two BMW x5 seized by CAB there bulletrestiant ones on the southern regional support unit it was remarked & ones on specialist unit

Advertisement