Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT and Road Tax Evasion

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

Bruthal wrote: »
    You suggested Im nigerian. Lots of evidence on boards to suggest otherwise.

A liar? Probably. But there is a report button, so you should feel at home with that.

I didnt pay motor tax for 5 months last year. Am I a tax evader? I could imagine you as a neighbour, camped outside with your camcorder.
    There`s that imagination again....................

Is your company vehicle MOT`d and taxed in the UK ?

gutteruu wrote: »
    I am doing exactly that with the permission of the revenue. An english company cannot register a vehicle on Irish plates without a registered company or person in Ireland. If it somehow managed to, it would be unable to get insured. There are temporary exemptions for contracts also.

You don't know they are evading tax. You suspect that. Same as someone would suspect me and be completely 100% in the wrong. What the hell has Nigerian got to do with it?

If you have reported it, it most probably has been looked into and resolved or the experts have decided against persuing it. There is nothing more you can do. Anything else you do thereafter like more complaints to public services will be 'actually wasting' taxpayers money.

Your missing the point... I would never report anyone for evading tax or any such trivial crime as I have better things to do with my life.
    If he wishes to drive the vehicle without tax, run the risk of having it impounded, then that's his business and no one else's.

"trivial crime" ????? Did a man not get a long prison sentence last year for evading a portion of tax on Garlic ??? Nothing trivial about a long prison sentence IMO. And that was a man providing Jobs and paying tax...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So now we know YOU evaded road tax for 5 months

Really? Could it not be your wild over eager guilt assuming manner that has brought you to that conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

If he has nothing to hide he wont have a problem will he ? So now your supporting illegal immigrants too ????? What next murder ? Drug dealing ? I really hope your not my neighbour.

Where is your evidence that he is an "Illegal immigrant"?

• Advertisement

He has none, the same as he has absolutely none that I evaded motor tax last year. And he mentions my imagination.

For someone out investigating his neighbours, he is not very good at seeing real evidence.

There is no evidence. Brutal said I was going to contact immigration (as if the person was illegal or had something to hide) and I said if he has nothing to hide there will be no problem.

He has none, the same as he has absolutely none that I evaded motor tax last year. And he mentions my imagination.

For someone out investigating his neighbours, he is not very good at seeing real evidence.

You said "I didnt pay motor tax for 5 months last year. Am I a tax evader? I could imagine you as a neighbour, camped outside with your camcorder." Were you lying then or are you lying now ? What did you tell the Guards when you had to fill out the form to put your car back on the road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Hey Noel, do you go snooping around halting sites checking tax and nct and possible vrt avoidance on the vehicles in there?

If I caught someone snooping around my car... And before you say its 'noticing' its not its snooping.

I normally pay 3 months tax at a time because im working abroad a lot, this leads to situations where Im driving the car with the tax quite a bit out of date but also situations where the car is sitting around with valid tax and me not even in the country. I feel it evens out so my conscience is clear.

It seems clear to me that the problem here is nigerians living next door to poor auld Noel. I hope they have lots of loud kids and loads of close friends they have over for parties. Hey Noel you can check their tax too!

read as far as post 27 and I'm not going to bother reading anymore because I suspect it's more of the same crap.

Fair play to Noel for wanting to report this neighbour. Most ordinary hard working/honest would be disgusted by the lad not paying vrt/tax in Ireland. Most of us fork out the money to tax our cars and for some it's a tough job to do it to. So why should we let somebody take the piss by not paying?

• Advertisement

You said "I didnt pay motor tax for 5 months last year. Am I a tax evader? I could imagine you as a neighbour, camped outside with your camcorder."

With no evidence, you instantly assumed I was evading motor tax. And didnt take long to insinuate I was Nigerian either.
    Were you lying then or are you lying now ?
    So, I must have been lying somewhere, is that it inspector kinsella?
    What did you tell the Guards when you had to fill out the form to put your car back on the road ?
    I told him the reason I was not driving it. But the guard is not there to ascertain why. He is a witness to a drivers statement that the car was not used in a public place.

foreign wrote: »
    read as far as post 27 and I'm not going to bother reading anymore because I suspect it's more of the same crap.

Fair play to Noel for wanting to report this neighbour. Most ordinary hard working/honest would be disgusted by the lad not paying vrt/tax in Ireland. Most of us fork out the money to tax our cars and for some it's a tough job to do it to. So why should we let somebody take the piss by not paying?

Do you check your neighbours cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

An Cigire wrote: »
    More importantly is this vehicle insured if it is not yet registered in state?

He CAN insure the car even if it has a UK reg. Insurers will only allow if for a certain number of moths until you get it VRTd but i doubt there are any follow ups.

Its a bit of a catch 22 because in once sense hes dead right not paying it....we are being robbed left right and center by the tax man and we just ly down and take it....road tax is a farce, im paying near 700 for the year and the roads are in sh1te, it costs me that much again just getting new tyres and such!!!

On the other hand why should I have to pay if hes getting away with it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Do you check your neighbours cars?

How would you not notice UK plates after 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

Customs are very active where I live with regards to stopping uk reg vehicles. They seem to be very efficient.
    If he is driving with no tax and without vrt he will eventually get caught no doubt.
    But I cannot get my head around the measures you are taking to get this chap caught. I find it bad enough that you have reported it to gardai and customs? Jaysus Im glad Im not one of your neighbours. (and I pay my tax)
    Think its more a case of little to be doing and a dose of the green eyed monster.

How would you not notice UK plates after 2 years?

Would you report next door if their tax disc expires?

Would you report next door if their tax disc expires?

And they drove their car for 2 years? Yes.

And they drove their car for 2 years? Yes.

Not 2 months then?

Not 2 months then?

No, 3 months would be the cutoff point. Assuming I noticed their tax was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Glad to see you've come round, bearing in mind you were condeming the "snitches" in the Gardai who brought to light the massive currotion in the penalty points "fixing" scandal.

Interesting comparison. What that Garda did was release confidential information on thousands of people in contradiction of the law and disciplinary regulations. He did not try differentiate between people who had done something wrong and people who hadn't. That's not a snitch, that's a leak. What the op did was report someone who he believed was breaking the law. There is clearly a major difference.

• Advertisement

"If I caught someone snooping around my car..." please finish your sentence if you caught my friend looking at your windscreen while he walked past on a public footpath EXACTLY WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Hey Noel, do you go snooping around halting sites checking tax and nct and possible vrt avoidance on the vehicles in there?

If I caught someone snooping around my car... And before you say its 'noticing' its not its snooping.

I normally pay 3 months tax at a time because im working abroad a lot, this leads to situations where Im driving the car with the tax quite a bit out of date but also situations where the car is sitting around with valid tax and me not even in the country. I feel it evens out so my conscience is clear.

It seems clear to me that the problem here is nigerians living next door to poor auld Noel. I hope they have lots of loud kids and loads of close friends they have over for parties. Hey Noel you can check their tax too!

MagicSean wrote: »
    Interesting comparison. What that Garda did was release confidential information on thousands of people in contradiction of the law and disciplinary regulations. He did not try differentiate between people who had done something wrong and people who hadn't. That's not a snitch, that's a leak. What the op did was report someone who he believed was breaking the law. There is clearly a major difference.

Based on better evidence than led the OP to claim I evaded motor tax last year, Id say the OP seen a Nigerian man, and went on his "help my "friend" help the state" crusade.

Using terms like "refugee dole", and insinuating I was Nigerian, might indicate that assisting the state was not his primary motive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Based on better evidence than led the OP to claim I evaded motor tax last year, Id say the OP seen a Nigerian man, and went on his "help my "friend" help the state" crusade.

Using terms like "refugee dole", and insinuating I was Nigerian, might indicate that assisting the state was not his primary motive.

No, the garda released information based on no evidence at all in the vast majority of the cases.

The op has reported one crime based on evidence he had.

"If I caught someone snooping around my car..." please finish your sentence if you caught my friend looking at your windscreen while he walked past on a public footpath EXACTLY WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Relax Noel!! You did post this on boards....a public forum!
    Personally....Id think you where scoping out my car lol but thats just me. Id prob mention it to the husband and keep me eye on ya. Is this chap foreign? Is that the actual issue or do you casually walk past every neighbours car and check?

MagicSean wrote: »
    No, the garda released information based on no evidence at all in the vast majority of the cases.
    Im not sure where that is going, perhaps my bad quoting that post causing confusion, but I was just posting about the OP with no reference to the actual post I quoted as such.

I was stating that the evidence to suggest the OP is a bit on the racist side, is far stronger than the non existent evidence which led him to the conclusion that I was/did

A) Nigerian
    B) Evade 5 months motor tax last year
    The op has reported one crime based on evidence he had.

Is it a crime, or suspected (alleged) crime? I know you would be better versed in such matters than myself in that regard anyway.

But anyway. the op appears to have a problem with foreigners and "refugee" people, and now possibly has found a new hobby out of it.

I was stating that the evidence to suggest the OP is a bit on the racist side, is far stronger than the non existent evidence which led him to the conclusion that I was/did

Racist or not, if the neighbours car is not declared as per legal requirements then OP/Friend has every right to report them.

No, 3 months would be the cutoff point. Assuming I noticed their tax was out.

No letting them know you are policing them then, Just report and next week get a loan of a bag of sugar?

No letting them know you are policing them then, Just report and next week get a loan of a bag of sugar?

They have had 3 months to sort it already, I would have no qualms about reporting them for driving without tax for that period.

They have had 3 months to sort it already, I would have no qualms about reporting them for driving without tax for that period.

And if they had it off the road due to hardship, but drove it once after 3 months, what then? Would the bishop be more forgiving in his pontification of neighbours then? Or straight to the nearest phone to report this crime?

• Advertisement

Im genuinely shocked at this. You would report a neighbour for no car tax? Really?
    What do you get out of that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement