Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Uniform

• 07-01-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Hey All,

Just thought id mention this. I got measured for the new uniform today. That JBS gang have a team of fitters travelling to all districts over the next few months. They only started yesterday! Issue to be given out in June/July. The items are as follows:

New belt/gloves/tie and hat.

New patrol jacket - longer by about 8 inches with no elaticated base. A pullstring is in the jacket about navel level.

Fleece is the same as above.

Two Tshirts! These are navy roundneck tshirts with GARDA printed on them on the right breast.

New hi visibility jackets. First is the same as our current one except has the GARDA tape around the base like the old jackets, and also has this on each wrist. The second jacket is an oilskin version of the same jacket - identical to the current free flow issue.

Shirts - as per normal.

And, what can only be described as a Greatcoat. The real old formal shin length jacket. Designed to be worn over the tunic at formal events. Dont ask me, i didnt know what the hell the story was with them!

Anyway, you all will see them in course, but just thought id let ye know!

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

T-Shirts? Does this mean we'll see the Garda in stab vests and T-shirts in temple bar now?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Any chance me getting an old belt buckle of one of you guys when your new ones come out. Am a collector. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Id be interested to see what the new hats will be like.. I presume they will be same flat cap style? Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

Same old hat I'm afraid.

As for the shin length jacket - Quality stuff but I was measured in with just the shirt underneath and they did not factor the tunic's size into it.

I just got to laugh at how they still expect us to wear the fleece -over- the stab vest. Give it two weeks and the vests will be over the fleece again in no time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Im a fan of the hat actually. It would have been nice of them to make it waterproof for you guys, but I think it looks very smart so Im glad there's no radical change! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

The vest is external body armour. We shouldnt even wear it underneath the jackets nor have any solid items such as tie clips underneath it but common sense has NOT prevailed yet again.

Whats with the T-shirts? Any hint as to when and where they can be worn?

Oh and is it the whole country that has to wear high viz 24/7 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Oh and is it the whole country that has to wear high viz 24/7 now?

yes 24/7

we can take it off when going to the bathroom though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

TheNog wrote: »
    yes 24/7

Have you got authorisation to urinate on state time? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

yes 24/7

And I'm petty sure you can take it off when your not working :D

• Advertisement

And I'm petty sure you can take it off when your not working :D

The job might allow but the missus might not :pac:

Anyways what is with this Great Coat? Why resurrect it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

So the poor auld phase 5s won't freeze to death at their passing out, while listening to some politician go on talking for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Don't think this needs a new thread but i have a quick question.

How are Gardai allocated their uniform?. In other words what is your uniform entitlement.

Do you get a certain amount of garments per year and what provision is made for requesting them?

If you need gear due to fair wear and tear before an allocation what are your options?

We get 2 trousers and 4 shirts twice a year maybe three times (honestly cant remember). For the rest of the uniform we can apply for replacements. Dont know how successful it is cos I havent done it yet but I do know we have to travel to the stores in Dublin for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

Random wrote: »
    T-Shirts? Does this mean we'll see the Garda in stab vests and T-shirts in temple bar now?

So the poor auld phase 5s won't freeze to death at their passing out, while listening to some politician go on talking for an hour.

The t shirt is a coolmax base layer to be worn under the uniform shirt to wick away perspiration when wearing the stab vest.

As for the Great Coat, or Gabardine to give it its new title, apparently the tunic will not be worn underneath it as it is no longer issued- just shirt and tie. To be worn for funerals and other official functions.

In fairness the short patrol jacket looked desparate at funerals and at the St. Patrick's Day parade in NY- very sloppy through no fault of the members wearing them i might add!

Gloves will be handy (pardon the pun!)- they are slash proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Got fitted earlier, impressed with the jacket and the high-viz, although they could have put another 2 pockets on the lower half of the jacket.

I got to try on the fleece with the vest on over it, nice fit, but looked sh1te with the extra length.

The tshirt was cool but over all the whole thing looks very impractical.

I like the greatcoat but not as a replacement to the current tunic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

ScubaDave wrote: »
    Hey All,

Just thought id mention this. I got measured for the new uniform today. That JBS gang have a team of fitters travelling to all districts over the next few months. They only started yesterday! Issue to be given out in June/July. The items are as follows:

New belt/gloves/tie and hat.

New patrol jacket - longer by about 8 inches with no elaticated base. A pullstring is in the jacket about navel level.

Fleece is the same as above.

Two Tshirts! These are navy roundneck tshirts with GARDA printed on them on the right breast.

New hi visibility jackets. First is the same as our current one except has the GARDA tape around the base like the old jackets, and also has this on each wrist. The second jacket is an oilskin version of the same jacket - identical to the current free flow issue.

Shirts - as per normal.

And, what can only be described as a Greatcoat. The real old formal shin length jacket. Designed to be worn over the tunic at formal events. Dont ask me, i didnt know what the hell the story was with them!

Anyway, you all will see them in course, but just thought id let ye know!

Dave

Dave - is the patrol jacket the same style as the current, except longer and no elastic on the bottom?

bazjnr wrote: »
    Gloves will be handy (pardon the pun!)- they are slash proof.

Are they being issued?

The gloves are being issued. Very comfortable and good timing as my current ones are completely worn out.

As for the jacket - yes it's pretty much the same except for the 'GARDA' labelling appears to be far more luminous, the pockets are more practical and there is no elastic at the end of it.

The new High Vis; I can't recall how far it zipped up (anyone recall?) but it also has buttons in addition to the zip. I hope it does zip up higher than the previous edition to allow for wearing with the vest and fleece alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Same old hat I'm afraid.

As for the shin length jacket - Quality stuff but I was measured in with just the shirt underneath and they did not factor the tunic's size into it.

I just got to laugh at how they still expect us to wear the fleece -over- the stab vest. Give it two weeks and the vests will be over the fleece again in no time! :D

Stab vest looks better over the fleece IMO, but I'll leave it to the boys and girls who are wearing them to decide.

And the patrol jacket, is it this one [old one],

ke_sheng[1].jpg

Without elastic it would look fairly stupid, IMO, its very smart as it is, but its in need of more Hi viz, so its good to here taht Garda is more luminous.

• Advertisement

The gloves are being issued. Very comfortable and good timing as my current ones are completely worn out.

As for the jacket - yes it's pretty much the same except for the 'GARDA' labelling appears to be far more luminous, the pockets are more practical and there is no elastic at the end of it.

The new High Vis; I can't recall how far it zipped up (anyone recall?) but it also has buttons in addition to the zip. I hope it does zip up higher than the previous edition to allow for wearing with the vest and fleece alone.

it's a full zip, so right up to the chin, like the jacket.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

Are they being issued?
    had the uniform fitting on tuesday. tried the gloves on they are slash proof and will be part of the new issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bazjnr wrote: »
    Tried the gloves on they are slash proof and will be part of the new issue.
    Wouldn't you have more feel and control if you took the gloves off to pee though? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tosh65

Are the "lovely" trousers staying the same..??? or are combat`s multi pockets coming in..????

tosh65 wrote: »
    Are the "lovely" trousers staying the same..??? or are combat`s multi pockets coming in..????

"Lovely" i'm afraid

Just thinking about it - I'm going to have to keep my current fleece for SO duties as the new one we're getting is only suited for wearing under the hi vis or stab vest.

Otherwise it'll look like a pillow case on me. :D

Would be handy for duvet days!!

I am getting fitted next week so I should have some pics to put up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tosh65

So basically the uniform is staying the same..but with a longer hi vis and fleece jacket..???? so why bother changing it at all..??? Still with the shirt and tie,over the stab vest, riding up to your neck,getting in and out off the squad. Why not have a polo shirt or an open neck shirt and do away with the tie,and have a more friendly user stab vest with pockets,like the UK or USA, and have the tools off the trade,fixed to the vest,so as to do away with the utility belt,and not be holding onto it whilst running after someone.???
    also..did any member have an input or asked how their uniform or kit, could be improved..?? any thoughts..???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Just thinking about it - I'm going to have to keep my current fleece for SO duties as the new one we're getting is only suited for wearing under the hi vis or stab vest.

You should have told them that you want to wear your vest over your fleece,
    They will give you a smaller fleece. Thats what everyone was doing when i was being measured for new uniform.

I can't wait for the new uniform, not because it is any better.. ( i actually believe that the Great Coat looks plain silly and old fashioned, and the the new Hi-Vis will have us sweating as if we are wearing a black plastic bag ) but because the current Jacket is 3.5yrs old.. and is only fit for the bin.

Advertisement