Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Better equipment for the Gardai

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 remmurts

Ressurecting this old chestnut...

I think 100 mph chases in most garda districts are a major liability. The potential for disaster does not out weigh the potential arrest for most situations. Any Garda who is engaging in high speed chases after joyriders and other minor criminals should be disciplined. It won't be long until some smart lawyer asks the right questions after an official car is involved in an accident whilst in some BS chase and kills/maims some citizens...then it will be firings, big payouts and some new HQ circulars and policy changes.

CARS
    I think standarisation is the way to go. Way too many types out there. But you must take into consideration the political inteference. Is the Fleet Manager being made accountable? Does the GRA Equipment Committee have any meaningful input? Do they even have a policy/position? Also consider that these cars need to be maintained locally. Are there trained mechanics available in every Division or will the car need to be brought two counties over to the next nearest main dealer?

What type of car is really needed? What are the more important factors..speed, economy, durabilty, suitabilty for patrol? Again, don't forget the political inteference !!!

As for the car equipment...the current choices of vehicles are not designed for police use. Hence, the haphazard installation methods of various equipment (also some poor accountability of various contractors and Garda techs.)

Again, the right choice of vehicle will allow for standardisation of equipment installation. US patrol cars are normally one of 2 or 3 different types are have ample room for police equipment...but because of the numbers involved it is profitable for after-market manufacturers to develope installation brackets, consoles, etc, for these types....Not much market out there for a radio/siren/computer mount for a Fiat Punto.

DRIVING COURSES
    The 2 week course..is it enough? It used to be 4 weeks. Too many Gardai driving on Chiefs, and most of them think it gives them license to drive like an asshole. What are the stats for official accidents for Offical Drivers Vs those on Chief's? Too little accountabilty for drivers...if they had to pay to mistreat the vehicles like some of them do we'd probably see a lot less official vehicles in for damage repair...and for some reason once they start getting drivers pay (is that still around?) they think that means they don't have to clean the car, check any fluids, etc. Where are the Sgts?

RADIOS
    Garda comms network is very old and outdated by this time. The DMR Command and Control system was never designed for the application it was pressed into. The Country Divisions comms are being held together with tape !!! It's time for the DOJ and Garda management to get the finger out and make a decision. I think they are still gunshy after the controversy, fiasco and huge cost over-run from the last one. Nobody wants to sign off on it...if it fails...they'll fall.

The biggest enemy to a decent Garda Comms net is the mules themselves. No radio discipline...no concept on how it works...no accountability for the equipment, etc. It's time to update the Templemore syllabus and teach some proper tech comm skills. More equipment is put out of service because of Garda vandalism than ever goes faulty. Why the Sgt's aren't held accountable I'll never know.

They will issue personal radios to each member if a certain cost threshold is met. However, there are several different radio systems in use...the whole country would have to standardize to the same technology/bands, etc...don't cross your fingers.

TECHNOLOGY
    Up to recent times the Gardai were terrified of computers. While the criminals moved with the times the poor polis stuck to their guns and got hopelessly outdated. Remember when the GRA looked for more money to operate PULSE terminals? In any private sector company there would've been massive firings...I think there should have been. I'm sure it's improved in the last few years...but there's a long way to go. All forms should be electronic and be printed off when required, therefore reducing the stationery stock. Collators, records, keyholders, warrants, etc, should be all instantly searchable databases.

All prisoners taken into any custody should be photographed and fingerprinted. These records can be stored as a central database and should be searchable from any District. Although this would require legislative change and isn't the fault of the Gardai.

UNIFORMS
    I see they have changed them recently and they still look like shyte. That issue nylon duty belt is a joke. The US definitely leads the way with practical police clothing. It doesn't have to be military-style...but...I don't know...when the original goretex patrol jackets came out, many District Officers wouldn't let their members wear them because they "didn't look smart." This attitude is still alive in the upper echelons. They need to look at NYPD...I think they've struck the right balance with police uniforms...prcatical, comfortable, yet smart looking too without be too paramilitary looking.

BUILDINGS/STATIONS
    Again, the polis are their own worst enemies...treating the stations like their own personal rubbish bins. But the OPW has a lot to answer for too. A lot of older stations were designed for different times and are quite unsuitable. Modern stations need to be designed with physical security and policing operations in mind.

WEAPONS
    I don't know...not every Garda wants to be armed. They took the job in an unarmed force, and some may not want to change that. Carrying a gun is a lot of responsibilty and not to be taken lightly. The novelty soon wears off and it becomes a pain in the arse. Firearms training is pretty poor...but I'm not sure what need there is arming more Gardai...??? Definitley should be reevaluated periodically.

OK...rant off !!! I'd love to hear the opinions of current serving Gardai/PSNI/UK Police on these issues...or any other equipment type grievance you'd like to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

remmurts wrote: »

BUILDINGS/STATIONS
    Again, the polis are their own worst enemies...treating the stations like their own personal rubbish bins. But the OPW has a lot to answer for too. A lot of older stations were designed for different times and are quite unsuitable. Modern stations need to be designed with physical security and policing operations in mind.

I'd love to hear the opinions of current serving Gardai/PSNI/UK Police on these issues...or any other equipment type grievance you'd like to air.

Now i think you have hit the nail on the head, the members serving are there on worst enemies never cleaning up after themselves, neglecting to clean patrol cars, check oil, air pressure, leaving uniform scattered around the place, there is nothing worse than coming in a 6.00am to start the day, getting a quick cuppa, and finding a mountain of leftovers and rubbish, soiled plates form the local chinese, grrr drives me mad !!!!! or sitting into a patrol car with empty coke bottles at your feet and crisp bags, i was once in station where the patrol car seized up, why.....no oil in the engine, 8000 euro bill super was not a happy camper, but at least in that station every unit ran the dishwasher before the end of their shift.

I also agree Re. design of stations, in one of my old stations there is no wheel chair access, people regularly take short cuts thru the station yard and prisoners have to be brought in past the Public at the station counter, just imagine with kids there etc its awful.
    Re security , twice I had recovered UT's (stolen cars) re-stolen from the back of the station yard at another station iworked at in the DMR South, including my friends sister Saab, who I had been glad to inform that we had safely recovered her car, only when she arrived it was gone , talk about egg on your face!

Personally i think the uniform has come along way, and the way i see at least we get belts now, and they did change the boots, the new ones are far superior.Thats my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

remmurts wrote: »

RADIOS

The biggest enemy to a decent Garda Comms net is the mules themselves. No radio discipline...no concept on how it works...no accountability for the equipment, etc. It's time to update the Templemore syllabus and teach some proper tech comm skills. More equipment is put out of service because of Garda vandalism than ever goes faulty. Why the Sgt's aren't held accountable I'll never know.

They will issue personal radios to each member if a certain cost threshold is met. However, there are several different radio systems in use...the whole country would have to standardize to the same technology/bands, etc...don't cross your fingers.

why the members who damage the radio's are not held accountable i will never know, plus the word on the street is that personal issue radio's are on the way, you lose it/damage it , comes out of your pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

vasch_ro wrote: »
    why the members who damage the radio's are not held accountable i will never know, plus the word on the street is that personal issue radio's are on the way, you lose it/damage it , comes out of your pay.

Aye, they're sayin up in Templemore that the Tetra radios are on nationwide roll-out soon, and that the new probationers might be coming out with them. Then again, i know someone who's installing them and they said the end of this year if lucky... Plus, they are personal issue, which is dead right! Should be the same with everything. I don't think the drivers of the patrol cars are being held accountable for anything that happens to it (not that i've seen anyway).

As for the stations, even the new ones weren't built with a Garda Station in mind. Granted, the station in Cobh is probably one of the best (and newest if i remember correctly), but it's still not extremely practible as a Garda Station (albeit way more practible than others i've been to).

As the rant above said, the politicians behind the funding of AGS are too afraid to go out on a limb and spend some money in the organisation. They need to start treating it as a business and not as a learn-as-you-go project! I don't think anyone (decent and law-abiding) wouldn't mind more money being spent on keeping the law in order effectively.

Saying that, there are still alot, and i mean alot, of absolute plebs coming out of templemore. Gung-ho, up-their-own-arse, "look at me, i'm a Guard". incosiderate, immature and mainly mannerless idiots who let the uniform go to their head! That needs to be sorted first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brophers

My car is a car capable of making a squad car look like a pushbike,I have drove several squad cars from mondeos to the ford focus and they are all a pile of ****e..they need an elite range of 5 series bmw cars and seated x5 jeeps for motorway traffic control all specially designed for the worst situation possible..not a two year old clapped out mondeo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

Hi,
    Does any body know what brand led lights the Gardai use? its the blue ones that go on the road and flash .Just trying to source for use as they are a lot better than the tri pod ones the fire Brigade use.

Smokey Bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Hi,
    Does any body know what brand led lights the Gardai use? its the blue ones that go on the road and flash .Just trying to source for use as they are a lot better than the tri pod ones the fire Brigade use.

Smokey Bear.

They're Meprolight electro-flares: http://www.meprolight.com/products.asp?id=18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

Hi Cushtac,
    Thanks for the quick reply,a lot of help.

Smokey Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

The Mepro lights are great. The only problem is you really have to prevent traffic driving over them and smashing them to bits.

Just thinking deployment problems in the Gardai. One particular incident made me think about this recently. I was SO in the station and another district HQ rang me to say 3 fellas in a car had tried to break into a petrol station and were heading our way. Now 3 gardai were in our car and they headed out to try and meet the car but in fairness with the amount of roads leading off the road to us which is something in the region of 7/8 backroads, the likelihood of catching these guys is remote. I have been looking at the American way of doing their job specifically regarding one man, one car. Why don't we have something similar here in Ireland?

In my district we have 4+1 on my unit with three sub districts with 2 and 1 and 1 respectively. With the divisional changes coming on stream soon our district is about to get bigger but we will also have bigger numbers of gardai. To implement the change we would have to update and enforce better procedures and equipment such as for one the Tetra system to ensure clear and uninterrupted broadcast, notifying base of stopping a veh and each member carrying a personnal radio and phone at all times. Also when we have the ARU online it would boost our security even more.

In my view we could better police our district by covering more ground and give better response time for calls. An example would be two calls of a material damage RTA, it seems inefficient to me to have 2 gardai arrive at one rta when only one is needed. For a member looking for assistance it would be only minutes away compared to what we have at the moment it could be several minutes away even up to half an hour. We could would have more stop and search, better traffic monitoring and higher visibility all round.

Regarding safety especially at night, gardai know or at least should have the cop on (no pun intended) to see trouble brewing before it starts. Certain stops should be strictly controlled such as if I wanted to stop a car with 2 ppl in it and they look at a bit dodge then I radio of backup. If they look ok I could do it alone. If there was three in the car then definitely call for back up.

Another plan that could work. Setting up a call centre for each county similar to command and control in Dublin. All calls, emergency and non emergency, should be routed to this call centre and then given out to each local patrol car and they could also deal with calls from the cars. This would free up time for the SO in the local district station to deal with public at the counter and files. I estimate that 3-4 people manning the control centre would suffice for the county.

Tell me what ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Now that the oulfella is gone, it might be brought in - Fachtna was involved in a lot of new set-ups within the GS, with Admin and the CAB - maybe he's not afraid of change like Conroy was.

Lads, they are all yes men and if one isnt then say hello to a civilian commissioner.

Tetra is not great Im afraid, working in Dublin I have it and its not up to par at all, loses frequency in areas where a normal radio does not.

We need:

1. Proper, practical and funciton based uniform for on duty. My opinion is for combats, polo shirt or even simple lose the tie. Vest we have, some pockets and holders would be nice but I saw a MET guy recently and he looked completely weighed down so the belt should remain. New boots seem fine as well. After that lose the hat, it serves no purpose, gets in the way and lets face it, wastes money that could go to better things. Also lose the high vis and incorporate it into the uniform similar the mountain bike uniform or Policia locale in spain does. Failing that, make it a bloody jacket and not a cover.

2. A better TETRA system nationwide.

3. Bull bars, every car with a STINGER and for the love of god a proper secured rear seat. Cages arent even expensive! Oh and something a little more secure than child locks!

4. No more small engine cars and also vehicles designed for speed, not just in terms of how fast but also good grip and breaking. Focus is a disaster at anything even approaching high speed.

5. Forget Mace, we live in a windy country and its not target specific enough. A lot of US / UK guys said that when using it they frequently get themselves or colleagues. Whats wrong with a small compavt stun gun? Not a tazer but a stun gun. Multiple usage and immediately takes thr fight out of an aggresive prisoner. I also looked into this and using 3 or 4 at the same time does NOT increase the voltage to the prisoner.

You can actually get an ASP thats electrical, the top 5 or 6 inches can be charged and used as a stun gun when the vuttons pressed. Multiple function and solves all our current problems.

6. PULSE that works. The program itself is ok but the IT system its running on is a joke. I neither need nor want email, my paperwork is bad enough as it is.

7. No more part-time stations and all stations to be securely built, not converted bloody houses with no anti-attack security. Even the new bigger stations are wide open to attack via the walls, doors and front counters.

We need:

1. Proper, practical and funciton based uniform for on duty. My opinion is for combats, polo shirt or even simple lose the tie. Vest we have, some pockets and holders would be nice but I saw a MET guy recently and he looked completely weighed down so the belt should remain. New boots seem fine as well. After that lose the hat, it serves no purpose, gets in the way and lets face it, wastes money that could go to better things. Also lose the high vis and incorporate it into the uniform similar the mountain bike uniform or Policia locale in spain does. Failing that, make it a bloody jacket and not a cover.

Good point. The jackets the UK traffic lads have look good and are practical

3. Bull bars, every car with a STINGER and for the love of god a proper secured rear seat. Cages arent even expensive! Oh and something a little more secure than child locks!

Excellent point. With the amount of smashed windows from prisoners would probably pay for the cages in a year or two. Bull bars would be a help for protection but the Human Rights and road safety groups would kick up murder. Stingers are great and we have one in our car but nobody I know is trained on it. Typical
    4. No more small engine cars and also vehicles designed for speed, not just in terms of how fast but also good grip and breaking. Focus is a disaster at anything even approaching high speed.
    Agreed 100%. I have been saying this since I started in the job. Focus should be used for transport, community policing etc and never put into an emergency situation.

5. Forget Mace, we live in a windy country and its not target specific enough. A lot of US / UK guys said that when using it they frequently get themselves or colleagues. Whats wrong with a small compavt stun gun? Not a tazer but a stun gun. Multiple usage and immediately takes thr fight out of an aggresive prisoner. I also looked into this and using 3 or 4 at the same time does NOT increase the voltage to the prisoner.
    Jeez never factored in the wind aspect of it.
    6. PULSE that works. The program itself is ok but the IT system its running on is a joke. I neither need nor want email, my paperwork is bad enough as it is.
    PULSE has been working ok for the past week or so but there is room for improvements such as when you click the close button PULSE takes all the way back to the original search screen where it should just bring you back to the last page you viewed.
    7. No more part-time stations and all stations to be securely built, not converted bloody houses with no anti-attack security. Even the new bigger stations are wide open to attack via the walls, doors and front counters.
    Blanchardstown is a classic example of this. Large station covering 100,000 population with some really dangerous people and the public counter is open. Having said that the screen we have is intrusive and alot of people don't like it all. Having said that I understand the need for security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Honestly I don't know how you guys do your job. The whole situation is a farce. The local guard here drives around in a Toyota Yaris FFS. A womans car at best. How can he command respect driving around in that piece of crap?

You should all go on strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

RonMexico wrote: »

We don't have that right. Hence the 'blue flu' a number of years ago.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Honestly I don't know how you guys do your job. The whole situation is a farce. The local guard here drives around in a Toyota Yaris FFS. A womans car at best. How can he command respect driving around in that piece of crap?

Most criminals are caught long after the crime has been committed. It is rare that a crim is caught at or near the scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

5. Forget Mace, we live in a windy country and its not target specific enough. A lot of US / UK guys said that when using it they frequently get themselves or colleagues...

CS/Pava works fine in the UK and US. Having been exposed to it a number of times, a couple of times when suspects were sprayed, on not-especially windy nights, exposure is unfortunately an occupational hazard. This hasn't prevented OC becoming a highly useful and effective tool all over the world. To dismiss this piece of PPE on the basis of Ireland being a "windy country" is ridiculous.

Maybe the issue of Tazer/Stun gun should be forgotten due to Ireland being "a bit wet"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

On a sidenote, someone said they dont want email, this is the kind of thing that is holding everything up, say if someone posts you files but forgets a picture or something, instead of waiting or going to collect them, these can easily be emailed!

Here, the gardai being given a run around, according to the title, 24 cars, i van and a helicopter, dont believe it tbh, think its edited, looks strngly similar at times, and whats the chances of getting that many cars to the one chase, not happening, at them speeds, the joyrider would have more than likely crashed/be intercepted by then if 25 vehicles were able to get to it, the whole of county wexford has just over 25 vehicles nearly! And it wouls have been defo brought to a stop previously imo! Fake but have a look;

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=25Lh6jeNbDQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Saw the stuff re torches.

An excellent brand is fenix. High powered led torches, small, light and efficient. Fenix l2d uses two AA batteries.
    http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=195

Good overview of LED torches at
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_top_picks.htm

Look at the 3 and 5watt led section.

Get Vapextech AA 2700mah rechargable batteries and they'll last.
    http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/aa.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

This is the current issue torch that everyone gets leaving Templemore, it is very powerful, and i have to say one of the best torches i've ever used, I even bought one of the smaller ones, which has pretty similar power to wear on my belt during the day, to save carrying around the big one all the time.

foinse wrote: »
    This is the current issue torch that everyone gets leaving Templemore, it is very powerful, and i have to say one of the best torches i've ever used, I even bought one of the smaller ones, which has pretty similar power to wear on my belt during the day, to save carrying around the big one all the time.

I find the issue torch, V2 TL- Tactical, is grand for traffic duty or for close up lighting but it lacks the distance. It is also quite light weight which is great but for me it does have a draw back. The pouch is not user friendly and the torch moves around the pouch so it can be difficult to find the ON button. Not very good if you need to turn on the torch in a hurry. I have the smaller torch, V2 Professional, as well and is ideal for traffic duty such as checking discs, driving licences, searching cars etc.

My main torch is the 3-cell Maglite which I love. That torch has gotten me out of more scraps when I was a student. It is heavy, long (almost menacing looking) and has great short and long distance illumination that is until the batteries start to wear out a bit. I am currently sourcing a LED replacement unit for the Maglite which retails at £29 at
    http://policeoracle.patrolstore.com/torches-lights-accessoriesupgrades-c-73_76.html

It is also holstered securely and for easy access when needed and can be used as a secondary weapon if my ASP is ever taken from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

TheNog wrote: »
    I find the issue torch, V2 TL- Tactical, is grand for traffic duty or for close up lighting but it lacks the distance. It is also quite light weight which is great but for me it does have a draw back. The pouch is not user friendly and the torch moves around the pouch so it can be difficult to find the ON button. Not very good if you need to turn on the torch in a hurry. I have the smaller torch, V2 Professional, as well and is ideal for traffic duty such as checking discs, driving licences, searching cars etc.

My main torch is the 3-cell Maglite which I love. That torch has gotten me out of more scraps when I was a student. It is heavy, long (almost menacing looking) and has great short and long distance illumination that is until the batteries start to wear out a bit. I am currently sourcing a LED replacement unit for the Maglite which retails at £29 at
    http://policeoracle.patrolstore.com/torches-lights-accessoriesupgrades-c-73_76.html

It is also holstered securely and for easy access when needed and can be used as a secondary weapon if my ASP is ever taken from me.

Haven't bothered with the pouch for the LedLenser tbh, I just use the torch holder on the belt, and use the clasp to hold it in place, That pouch that comes with the torch looks like a piece of crap.It's sitting in the bottom of my locker under a pile of stuff lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

alfie wrote: »
    We don't have that right. Hence the 'blue flu' a number of years ago.

This bugs me, at the end of the day people werent allowed stike 200 years ago either but they still did. Also, the GRA was established from an illegal meeting which had a few mules fired at the time. I mean, what exactly are the government going to do about it? Sack the entire police force for enacting what is a constitutional right? I dont think so.

metman wrote: »
    CS/Pava works fine in the UK and US. Having been exposed to it a number of times, a couple of times when suspects were sprayed, on not-especially windy nights, exposure is unfortunately an occupational hazard. This hasn't prevented OC becoming a highly useful and effective tool all over the world. To dismiss this piece of PPE on the basis of Ireland being a "windy country" is ridiculous.

Maybe the issue of Tazer/Stun gun should be forgotten due to Ireland being "a bit wet"?

So Metman, the fact that you sprayed your colleagues even in decent weather conditionals proves that pepper spray is a fantastic tool? No it doesnt, it proves my point more. Its a spray, it goes in different directions and is not wind resistent. How many times have you stunned a colleague while aiming for a suspect?

Unless of course the MET just dont have decent training;)

I stand by my comments, pepper spray that gets your colleagues you can keep, stun gun with no side effects to myself or my colleagues I want!

So Metman, the fact that you sprayed your colleagues even in decent weather conditionals proves that pepper spray is a fantastic tool? No it doesnt, it proves my point more. Its a spray, it goes in different directions and is not wind resistent. How many times have you stunned a colleague while aiming for a suspect?

Unless of course the MET just dont have decent training;)

I stand by my comments, pepper spray that gets your colleagues you can keep, stun gun with no side effects to myself or my colleagues I want!

You evidently misunderstood my post. Officers are mostly affected by CS through interaction with a prisoner, ie restraining, cuffing, placing in a van etc for a period after the subject has been sprayed. This is how I have come into contact with CS operationally, not because I've been sprayed or sprayed someone else. I've never seen a third party affected on account of wind/weather conditions. Oh and Pepper/Pava doesn't cross contaminate, just for your information ;)

You are of course entitled to your opinion as to the usefulness of the kit. However I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

As regards the Met's training for CS, I can't compare it to training given elsewhere. Perhaps you'll find out if we again send trainers to Templemore, when CS is eventually issued there, as was done for ASP baton-trainer training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Perhaps you'll find out if we again send trainers to Templemore, when CS is eventually issued there, as was done for ASP baton-trainer training.

ASP would not sell the batons without also giving training and rather than fly in instructors from the US they contacted a number of forces in the UK to provide trainers for the GS, the Met was best able to assist. The Met wasn't singled out to provide the training, it was merely taking the place of ASP employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just watch buying a non-Maglite upgrade. Apparently voids your waranty.

As a prospective Garda (albeit not until I've got some sort of qualification under my belt) I can only hope that equipment etc improves. I don't know how you guys manage currently from what I've heard and I have the greatest of respect for you - I'm surprised to find it hasn't put me off.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Just watch buying a non-Maglite upgrade. Apparently voids your waranty.

Aye i know. I found a company here in Ireland, www.caulfield.ie , that sell the authentic maglite led replacement unit. Ordered it last week. Should probably ring them and see where the hell it is.

Perhaps you'll find out if we again send trainers to Templemore, when CS is eventually issued there, as was done for ASP baton-trainer training.

Lads I don't like the way ye are heading with this slagging. It is immature and doesn't help progress this thread. We are discussing what the GS have and the need for better equipment and training. Not which force is better.

If neither of ye can exchange thoughts and ideas in a practical and professional manner then stay away.

TheNog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

As regards the Met's training for CS, I can't compare it to training given elsewhere. Perhaps you'll find out if we again send trainers to Templemore, when CS is eventually issued there, as was done for ASP baton-trainer training.

CS Spray will not be issued to Gardai anytime in the foreseeable future, the incapacitant spray on issue to certain garda units is Oleresin Capsicum (OC) which has pepper as a natural ingredient.
    If a decision is made to issue an incapacitant spray to Public Order Units or beat members, it will be OC.

All Garda ASP instructors were trained abroad by instructors who were employees of ASP, none of which were serving or retired members of The London Metroplitan Police.

CLADA wrote: »
    CS Spray will not be issued to Gardai anytime in the foreseeable future, the incapacitant spray on issue to certain garda units is Oleresin Capsicum (OC) which has pepper as a natural ingredient.
    If a decision is made to issue an incapacitant spray to Public Order Units or beat members, it will be OC.

All Garda ASP instructors were trained abroad by instructors who were employees of ASP, none of which were serving or retired members of The London Metroplitan Police.

Having trained and carried both CS and OC/Pava, I prefer CS. This is from an operational point of view. OC is sold as not cross-contaminating, affecting animals etc, and having a 90% effectiveness rate. So long as you know you need to hit your target in the eyes with it to be effective, then OC is all good. CS is less effective, not always working on drugged or drunk/agitated suspects but you only need to hit the upper body mass with it to take effect.

• Advertisement

Just thinking deployment problems in the Gardai. One particular incident made me think about this recently. I was SO in the station and another district HQ rang me to say 3 fellas in a car had tried to break into a petrol station and were heading our way. Now 3 gardai were in our car and they headed out to try and meet the car but in fairness with the amount of roads leading off the road to us which is something in the region of 7/8 backroads, the likelihood of catching these guys is remote. I have been looking at the American way of doing their job specifically regarding one man, one car. Why don't we have something similar here in Ireland?

In my district we have 4+1 on my unit with three sub districts with 2 and 1 and 1 respectively. With the divisional changes coming on stream soon our district is about to get bigger but we will also have bigger numbers of gardai. To implement the change we would have to update and enforce better procedures and equipment such as for one the Tetra system to ensure clear and uninterrupted broadcast, notifying base of stopping a veh and each member carrying a personnal radio and phone at all times. Also when we have the ARU online it would boost our security even more.

In my view we could better police our district by covering more ground and give better response time for calls. An example would be two calls of a material damage RTA, it seems inefficient to me to have 2 gardai arrive at one rta when only one is needed. For a member looking for assistance it would be only minutes away compared to what we have at the moment it could be several minutes away even up to half an hour. We could would have more stop and search, better traffic monitoring and higher visibility all round.

Regarding safety especially at night, gardai know or at least should have the cop on (no pun intended) to see trouble brewing before it starts. Certain stops should be strictly controlled such as if I wanted to stop a car with 2 ppl in it and they look at a bit dodge then I radio of backup. If they look ok I could do it alone. If there was three in the car then definitely call for back up.

Another plan that could work. Setting up a call centre for each county similar to command and control in Dublin. All calls, emergency and non emergency, should be routed to this call centre and then given out to each local patrol car and they could also deal with calls from the cars. This would free up time for the SO in the local district station to deal with public at the counter and files. I estimate that 3-4 people manning the control centre would suffice for the county.

Tell me what ye think?

Guys this is a question I posted awhile ago but I would like to hear your opinions on it.

Advertisement