Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic Blues - RTE1 - May 31st

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why was the motorcyclist arrested?

He was being arrest for dangerous driving because he was going a good bit over the speed limit, had no reflecting clothing, and the bike itself wasn't in good nick. But they had decided to arrest him before inspecting the bike - im fairly sure I heard one of them ask about "nicking" him and the other agreeing. I assume anybody who is arrested is put in cuffs.

He was later charged and convicted of careless driving. Seems a little harsh though for a first offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Sully wrote: »
    He was being arrest for dangerous driving because he was going a good bit over the speed limit, had no reflecting clothing, and the bike itself wasn't in good nick. But they had decided to arrest him before inspecting the bike - im fairly sure I heard one of them ask about "nicking" him and the other agreeing. I assume anybody who is arrested is put in cuffs.

He was later charged and convicted of careless driving. Seems a little harsh though for a first offense.

No reflective clothing and vehicle supposedly in poor order is not against the law(The tyres looked normal to me and o'ring chains look dry normally).
    Could it be the gardai are just anti biker or suffering from "red mist" and were intent on punishing a motorist they couldnt catch who was, until they started to chase him putting nobody but himself at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Great show I love watching this.

Shame the episodes aren't longer and more often. Season 2 has been really well put together

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Why are there 2 threads going on this? This one the last post before yesterday was March 2010, wouldn't it be cleaner if there was only 1 thread on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Lads, your man was driving at 200kph, how the hell can you defend that??

And I'd be the first to be getting sly digs in at the Guards, but in this case you have to say what they did was right!

• Advertisement

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Lads, your man was driving at 200kph, how the hell can you defend that??

And I'd be the first to be getting sly digs in at the Guards, but in this case you have to say what they did was right!

He was caught for exceeding the speed limit, which was justified, but what specifically did he do that warranted arrest?
    The treatment he got in court was more appropriate than the manner in which he was dealt with. Fixed penalty notice, even notebook and file for S51/52 and or 53 RTA would have been perfectly fine, but why was it necessary to arrest and charge him?
    Was there any doubt about his identity?
    Was his excessive speed dangerous?(Court didn't think so).
    Were the Gardai just annoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Petty, smart arsed and drunk on power... This program seems to be a fair representation of them alright...

Doing the guy for having no seatbelt was ridiculous.. What a fukn waste of time..

If your on a public road, You should have the belt on... How hard is it.
    The attitude of the driver dident help either, I dont think the Guards should have to take that level of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    The attitude of the driver dident help either, I dont think the Guards should have to take that level of abuse.

EXACTLY!
    Sure in England swearing at a police officer will get you arrested. Why not the same here. That's a joke.

They should be allowed to do their job without someone swearing at them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'd consider it dangerous driving what the biker was doing, or at least careless, outside of the speed (but included). Just thought it was weird they decided before inspecting the bike to arrest him. Anyway, I think under the RTA act they can arrest someone for driving excessively over the speed limit and also if the vehicle isn't road worthy (open to correction)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Doing the guy for having no seatbelt was ridiculous.. What a fukn waste of time..

What's ridiculous is he didn't put it on which takes about 2 seconds.

Lift left hand towards right shoulder, pull down belt across chest and latch into holder. Simple.

If he can't get the basics of using a seatbelt that's there to save his life then serves him right. And you say the Garda was a smart arsed, you must not work with the public or had a tricky customer. The amount of abuse that guy was giving that Garda he deserved the fine.

If he can't get a seatbelt on himself I wouldn't like to meet him on the road, strikes me as the type that would tailgate you for 5 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

cjmcork wrote: »
    yeah, actually thought it was a little odd that he was handcuffed for his own safety?

He was handcuffed for there safety and his safety.

If he is in the back of the car without cuffs and he is after murdering someone (They just don't know it) and starts to try and strangle the Garda driving the car it's not going to end pretty. It's better for everyone if they don't take that chance and just put him in handcuffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He was caught for exceeding the speed limit, which was justified, but what specifically did he do that warranted arrest?

I was caught driving in excess of 130 MPH (speed in old money!) and when I was pulling over I fully expected to be arrested, I wasn't.

But I think had I been it would have been fully justified & nothing less than I deserved... Still scare's the bejaysus out of me when I think of the fright I got when I seen the flashing lights behind me at that speed :o

I was caught driving in excess of 130 MPH (speed in old money!) and when I was pulling over I fully expected to be arrested, I wasn't.

But I think had I been it would have been fully justified & nothing less than I deserved... Still scare's the bejaysus out of me when I think of the fright I got when I seen the flashing lights behind me at that speed :o

But you weren't arrested, were you in a Car or a baby eating motorbike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

But you weren't arrested, were you in a Car or a baby eating motorbike?

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

No reflective clothing and vehicle supposedly in poor order is not against the law(The tyres looked normal to me and o'ring chains look dry normally).
    Could it be the gardai are just anti biker or suffering from "red mist" and were intent on punishing a motorist they couldnt catch who was, until they started to chase him putting nobody but himself at risk?

I'd wager that the manner in which he was driving before they pursued him was already putting himself at risk.

I cant believe how much better this series is than the previous one. I'd still like to see a film crew go around with Guards in a country town on a saturday night tho. Wouldn't be traffic blues, but would be entertaining!

He was arrested for dangerous driving for the purpose of charging. There was a mention of him going between two cars at speed. And most of the Traffic Corp would be bike riders through work so can't think they would be anti bike, maybe anti stupid driving. I would say he pleaded in court and that's why the conviction was for the lesser offence.

Goldie, if he was a scrote would you be asking the same question?

foreign wrote: »
    He was arrested for dangerous driving for the purpose of charging. There was a mention of him going between two cars at speed. And most of the Traffic Corp would be bike riders through work so can't think they would be anti bike, maybe anti stupid driving. I would say he pleaded in court and that's why the conviction was for the lesser offence.

Goldie, if he was a scrote would you be asking the same question?

No, but I do object to people being treated like criminals because of the type of vehicles they chose to use in an otherwise legal and lawful manner. An arrest is the denial of a persons freedom. The offences you can arrest them for are usually quite serious.
    How often are car drivers arrested for speeding?
    Acceptable reasons for arresting someone for a Road Traffic offence would in the past have been(using the Power of arrest for dangerous driving)
    No driving licence, unable to verify name and address
    non-resident driver

I must remember to add "drives motorcycle" to that list.
    The clip did not demonstrate the motorcyclist driving in a dangerous manner, just exceeding the speed limit, which was 120 where he was caught, I believe?(M4) compared to the donegal chase for example.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1105011

Other than speed, what did the clip show that warranted dangerous driving?

I do object to people being treated like criminals because of the type of vehicles they chose to use in an otherwise legal and lawful manner.

But they weren't picking on him just because he was on a bike. He was doing nearly 200km/h on a fairly busy stretch of road!! I like to think anyone caught doing the same would be arrested. Theres a time & place for driving fast, and its not on the open roads...

But they weren't picking on him just because he was on a bike. He was doing nearly 200km/h on a fairly busy stretch of road!! I like to think anyone caught doing the same would be arrested. Theres a time & place for driving fast, and its not on the open roads...

Yes he was doing excessive speed, but what danger was he offering to other road users?
    That show so far has not shown any other speeding drivers being arrested unless they had other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Goldie, what would happen if he lost control filtering between the cars. Would that contribute to the danger to other road users?. Also his speed was excessive & as a fellow biker I wouldn't have considered that bike well maintained. There's absolutely no excuse for doing that speed on any road. I have seen the consequences of crashing at this speed to many times. I've also seen the carnage caused by drivers swerving to avoid a downed biker so IMO he was a danger to other road users & the member concerned was right to arrest him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Yes he was doing excessive speed, but what danger was he offering to other road users?
    That show so far has not shown any other speeding drivers being arrested unless they had other issues.

The show has also not shown any speeding drivers as dangerous.

Per km travelled, motorcyclists are 13 times more likel to be involved in a serious injury or fatal collision, im sure that figure skyrockets again at those speeds (Source: RSA Annual report, i think 2009)

He was essentially arrested to be charged! Does it not show by the fact that the driver was so unsuprised when told he was being arrested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

53.—(1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place at a speed or in a manner which, having regard to all the circumstances of the case (including the nature, condition and use of the place and the amount of traffic which then actually is or might reasonably be expected then to be therein) is dangerous to the public.

Speeding on its own qualifies a person. The fact that he was doing 200 in a 120 zone is clearly dangerous and you bet your ass a car caught doing the same would be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

wooohhhooo............my not-so-secret crush was on tonight - guest appearance from Garda Roarty! :o

Unbelievable that someone could overtake a garda car on a solid white line.
    Ok the car was unmarked, but there were two guards in uniform and a cameraman inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Why wasn't anything said to the truck driver with the hay? To me it looked dangerously overload and not secured properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

It's interesting to see the different perspectives on this.

Over on some of the biker sites they're going spastic that he was arrested at all; ranging from keyboard warriors "Should have popped a minger & fecked off" to somewhat more moderate "Feck him, he's giving bikers a bad name".

The non biking fraternity wanted him hanged, drawn & quartered.

If you recall from the first series there was uproar when the bus with the bad tyre was allowed on its way. The sanctimonious brigade had a field day.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. :rolleyes:

Bosh wrote: »

Damned if you do damned if you don't. :rolleyes:

Welcome to Ireland:rolleyes:

Even on boards, you'll find drastically different attitudes to road safety on the motoring and roads forums respectively.
    I pity anyone who works in the public eye, your hands will always be tied of you aim to please everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

swiftblade wrote: »
    Why wasn't anything said to the truck driver with the hay? To me it looked dangerously overload and not secured properly

I would say he got a bollockin of camera but I had to laugh at the other load of hay that passed under the bridge flat out and the Guard laughed it off..:)

I think they were more pissed of with white van man..

Advertisement